How would you describe a Good Customer Care

We all know that customers play a vital role in any business and we are always told that they should be cared for lest, they will go away and won't come back again. As an entrepreneur, I am always interested to know more things about good customer care. Can you help me get more knowledge about it? Any good tips for me and for other entrepreneurs that might come across this discussion?
@derek_a (10902)
I find that in the UK today, when I go into a store, I am either subjected to high-pressure sales even though I say I am just looking around, or the staff just cannot be bothered to listen to my request which gives me the feeling that I am disturbing them! I do not do this in business. I grew up with my father who owned a variety of different businesses, garage, stores of different kinds and business to business companies. He always spoke to the customers as if they were special, and as he said, they were special, for without them we would go bankrupt. If ever anybody had a complaint, he would rather give them a full refund (if it came to it) than argue the rights and wrongs with them. For as he said, 1 negative statement about us, is more powerful than 100 positive ones, because it is the negative reputation that people remember most easily.
I think Im kinda like your father. That is how I speak with customers. Always nicely even if they were just there to look around. They kinda waste my time by asking so many things but I dont care. I try to answer all with patience becoz I believe that everyone is a prospect. Those who were just looking around now might turn to be great customers one day. And maybe they will bring in referrals too.
@derek_a (10902)
Yes, that is so true and I would probably find it a pleasure to visit your shop. Whenever people tell me of other businesses and they talk about the business owners being really nice and helpful - that business always turns out to be successful. No getting away from it, people like nice people :-)
A good customer care is when customer care provided a reliable and accurate information. It is when they help the customer to solve problems they have, give recommendation and some advices.
yes I agree with you.The customer should be provided with correct information.They should not give fake information just for the sake of selling their products.
I agree to what the two of you said. Customers should always be given the accurate information. Some companies are misleading their clients because they do not educate them very well about the products and services they provide. They only show the good side and hide the bad side.
@blackbriar (9080)
Ok, now why didn't mylot send me a notification about your discussion? Guess the mylot glitch is finally traveling my way. Anyways, what I always notice when I'm a customer is respect, honesty, courtesy, friendliness from whoever is helping me. Oh and accuracy. Treat me bad and e1 and their grandma will know about it. I've caused a car dealership to close up cause of the way they treated me while I was shopping for a car. They tried to push me into buying something I knew I couldn't afford, then tried to rob me of trade-in value of my old car which was in better shape, body and mechanical, than alot of the used cars on their lot. After that, they tried to push me into buying other things I knew I didn't need on the new car. I finally walked out of their with total disgust telling them e1 is going to hear about the way they treated me. One less dishonest Ford dealer in the world today. I know the saying 'customers are always right' but there are times when they aren't right either. Bottom line, you treat a customer with disrespect and the word will spread quickly. You treat a customer right, you get rewarded by them telling e1 and they bring their business to you.
Many of us has been encountering this problem about notification. I dont know why either. Wow thanks for the post. You almost said it all but Im sure we will learn more from our other fellow mylotters. I am so happy to hear from you almost all the time. Mwah!
lol Would you believe right b4 I went to bed last nite, this discussion finally came thru to my inbox AFTER I already responded to it? Go figure! I respond to all my friends' posts IF I feel I can add my 2cents or if the discussion is really interesting to me. :-)
I would say Customers is GOD for any kind of business. So we have to take care of them to survive in any business. We have to satisfy them by giving many offers, benefits, discounts. This will result increase your sales & ultimately in your profit. As an Entrepreneur , I am always giving 1st attention to my customers. I am providing many benefits to them. I am applying many marketing oppertunities, plans, special offers to satisfy my customers.
Thabk you so much for that. I had really learned from your comment.
@navtech (1776)
Dear hersmart4ever, I do not do any business. However, I think that as soon as any customer come to your business premises, he should be welcomed first with smile and he should be made to sit in a comfortable place. Second he should be asked whether he needs water to drink. In case you are handling some customer, you should expess a nodding acquitance so that he feels conformable and also have the feeling that upon his entering the business premises he has been greeted. In gist what I want to say is that whenever a customer small or big, enter the business premises he should be greeted with a smile which will make him feel comfortable and by his you own the heart of the customer.
Thank so much for that. I am already learned about customer care but I am enjoying this discussion so much. I am still learning new things and I love it. I learned something more from your comment. I make sure I'll do all of the tips you had given.
@zipman191 (381)
• Israel
as a customer i expect to get good customer support which includs nice person that will answer to all my questions even if its the stupidest question ever...
@byfaithonly (10716)
I would have to agree with what your first responder said - and it's a combination of them all, you can't do just one thing right and forget about the other qualities.
Thank you, byfaithonly. :-) Now if I can just convince Wal-mart employees to be available whenever I need to find something, I would be a happy camper. lol I swear they see me coming thru the doors and disappear all at once. ughhh!!
@academic2 (7010)
• Uganda
Look smart but simple, Dont look intimidating and over sophisticated in your attire, Be nice, I mean welcoming, kind and convincing, Be fair and willing to cut prices even if by just one cent, Accept occasinal credit facilities but Insist on repayment deadlines, Break the "goods once sold should not be returned" principle once in a while, Follow up your customers and get their feed back, let the feed tailor you market behaviour
@dpk262006 (56473)
Customers should be given due care and regards. One of the Great leaders of India - Mahatma Ghandi, used to say - "Cusomer is like a God to an enterpreneur". So every care should be taken about customer....and it should be seen how best he can be satisfied.
@KrisNY (7591)
I would say the most important thing- is to be polite- Help fix the problem in a polite way- and actually know what you are talking about- If it isn’t a problem the person is calling with and you are trying to sell something- Call at good times- not during eating times and not too late- A lot of us have kids and when the phone rings late- I am already mad and won’t even listen to you if it is late.
@rakhii (1302)
I am not an entrepreneur. But as a layman, I would ask from a Customer Care good service in terms of responding my calls immediately and guiding me the best. I would like to have the best information in simplest way. Thats it! I dont know this would help you or not, but this is what costumers demand. If you can improve this service, youi would be having a Good Customer Care.
@wachit14 (3600)
I've had several of my own businesses over the years and I try to treat people the way I want to be treated. That means, being gracious regardless of the situation. However, being gracious does not, by any means, mean that you are a push over. I also believe that it is important to communicate information in a manner that is easily understandable and cannot be left to misinterpretation. I also always believe in saying 'thank you'. People love to be appreciated and saying thanks is one way of doing that. So many people have terrible manners and forget to say thanks. You may be remembered for that alone.
@mummymo (23707)
The main thing I would say is always be as helpful as possible! Be polite and never make a customer feel stupid or as though you would rather be doing anything else but there with them! xxx
@beauty_ph (2751)
I really love your topic my friend. Now I tried a research so I too can benefit on the answer of your query. I do hope this can help. source: http://www.talkingretail.com/factsheets/4905/Customer-care.ehtml 30 Apr 2007 Customer care Advice factsheet. The key to good customer care is communication, both with your customers and your staff. A good starting point is to look at your working relationship with your staff. Lead by example. It's a well-known fact that if you show care for your employees, they in turn will care for your customers. Delivering a high level of customer service depends on holding on to good staff. One way of improving staff retention, customer service, store standards and business efficiency is through staff training. Sales staff are at the front-line of your business and therefore need to be trained in the right personal and communication skills. Customer care relies on the spoken skills of your sales staff. Without it your store could never be truly customer friendly. Staff training also improves employee job satisfaction and along with this good customer care comes naturally. It's about getting to know your customers and their particular needs, thereby giving them a personal service. Training Every communication with the customer is vitally important. A satisfied customer will return time and again and recommend your store to others. Just one incident, which results in one dissatisfied customer, could multiply the damage to your reputation when they complain about your store to other customers. Train your staff in the following communication skills: Greet customers warmly, by name if possible. Smile, make eye contact and look and sound cheerful. Be polite, friendly and speak clearly. Show a personal interest. Be helpful. When offering product advice, think about the customer's needs. Make sure your appearance and that of the store is creating the right impression. Procedures Make sure your procedures and systems are working efficiently, as this will ultimately save the customer time and money. Use reliable suppliers to ensure adequate stock levels, and concentrate on the efficiency of the checkout procedure. Customers will complain if they have to wait too long to be served. Try and provide the most convenient service you can. If you are out of stock of a particular product, offer to order it for the customer, but make sure that you can keep your promise of delivery date. If there is a delay, inform the customer as soon as possible. Complaints Deal with complaints efficiently and learn from them. There may be areas of your business you need to improve. When handling a complaint from a customer the two important points are to listen and sympathise. Apologise for the problem and establish exactly what the facts of the complaint are. Try to find a solution to the problem and agree with the customer what you will do. Give your name and contact telephone number so that customer knows who is dealing with the complaint. Keep the customer informed and sort out the problem as a matter of priority. If you are polite and handle the complaint well, it is even possible to convert the complainant into a regular customer. Give your front-line staff the training and authority to deal with complaints as they arise, rather than waste the customer's time. The member of staff dealing with the customer should take responsibility by apologising on behalf of the business, and you should make it clear that staff should never blame other members of staff for the mistake. Make regular checks Regularly look at your business and think about where poor service might arise. When incidents occur, try to find out the root cause of the failure and make improvements accordingly. Involve your whole team in customer care and ask staff for their suggestions. It is a good idea to reward your staff for excellent customer service. They will then feel valued and will be keen to make the extra effort.
@sid556 (31005)
Good attitude & a warm smile go far! It doesn't matter how much a person knows, if they are not personable then I will take my business elsewhere. Without customers you would not have a business. All outside stresses in your life have to be left at the door each day.
I love to shop at stores where it's friendly. You go in and they great you with care. Hello how may I help you? There are some really nice cashiers in some places. Then you have the ones who hate there jobs and show it. I try to be friendly and kind to all patrons I meet
@Willowlady (10666)
Listening would be the key. Finding some way that the customer would leave content on some level. Being able to make up some wrong done. Able to smooth the waters so that person would be a repeat customer. Honesty! No illusion or sense of secrecy. The open you are the more people can trust. That would be the topper. Trust.
hi, the bestway is to satisfy the customer is by giving him/her what he wants. Put on your best smile, talk with the required body language, get to know what he wants, 7 give him.Your job is done . He is with you always. www.creatingcolourfulfuture.com
@eseomame (1146)
Yes, customers play a very vital role. They should be approached with the utmost respect. Rule NO. 1... the way we always know it, is that our customers are always right. If they happen to be extremely wrong, you have to make it known to them in the most delicate way, so as not to lose them. For the rational customers, manner of approach is almost always the no. 1 factor. I hope this helps.
@archie20 (39)
Be pleasant and help the customer as much as you can.becoz then that customer will go and tell others how nice the service was your business will increase.