The power of salt

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
We have had many discussions on the household use for baking soda and vinegar but I have not seen one about the use of salt. I use salt for cleaning those stuck on foods in the bottom of a pan by adding 3 tablespoons of salt and boiling water. Once the water cools I wash as I normally would and like magic the mess is gone. When I have a plastic container like Tupperware or a thermos that have an odor left from whatever was in there I just sprinkle some salt inside and the next day the smell is gone. The best thing I found to use salt for besides flavoring food has to be the use for candles. I am not sure where I learned this from but if you soak your candles in equal parts water and salt (1/2 cup of each)for a few hours and then pull them out and let them dry you will not have many drips. What are some ways that you use salt around your home?
@sunshinecup (7882)
The same as with the pans, you can use salt to help with those really hard spots when cleaning the fridge out. Also salt and bleach works great as a weed killer.
@deebomb (15347)
The problem with using salt to kill weeds is it can harm the ground.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Great tip about the fridge.
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hey. You are right salt has many benefits outside of cooking... My dad use to soak his work flask over night in water and a couple of spoons of salt, which worked magic... I know when i was working in one of the local restaurants I use to see the chef through salt on the floor, for spillages, like cooking oil and water spills, that can be dangerous in the way of slips, the salt would soak up this liquid and end up being grip on the floor as well, in which I thought was a waste of food... As for the candles sounds very interesting, Im always burning candles, maybe it will slow the burning process too... Thanks for the great ideas...
@razcal2267 (15577)
You are welcome and thank you for sharing.
@Geminigirl (1909)
What an excellent topic. And I would like to add and admit that I am a complete saltoholic! LOL! One excellent use of salt I learned from the old timers when I was young, was to mix a couple tablespoons with warm water and gargle with it throughout the day when you have a very bad sore throat or mouth sores. This seems to relieve the pain slightly and speed up the healing process.
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hey. Yes Ive heard of the remedy to gargle salt in warm water, usually for sore throats and ulcers in the mouth, from my old people too lol... When we were younger and may have had a score or cuts on our legs or where ever, we were told to go bathe it in salt water/sea water, and the beach was really handy for this, this method or remedy did wonders...
@joice86 (1079)
Hi razcal! Wow, that's a good idea and thanks for sharing that one. I never knew that salt is a good solutions to things. I may try that one for myself. As I can remember, I used salt with my toothpaste. Hehe, that's only what I can remember.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I think I will skip trying that one it sounds a bit painful to me.
@KrisNY (7609)
OK I have to say I'm impressed- First off I only use salt for seasoning food, cooking, and drinking salt water for cankersores. I am going to try the tupperware-smell idea- I have some containers that have the smell and discoloration from being microwaved- I hope the salt takes out the smell- I will be so impressed- I had no idea salt did this kind of stuff- And the no drips from candles- what a great thing- less clean up!
@razcal2267 (15577)
I am so forgetful. thank you for pointing out that it can also be used for canker sores.
@maehan (1445)
Oh yes razcal2267, you are right! Salt can perform miracle. I use salt for the following purposes: Peeling eggs - Boiling eggs in salted water will make eggs peel easily. Preventing browning - Apples, pears and potatoes dropped in cold, lightly salted water as they are peeled will retain their color. Cleaning greasy pans - The greasiest iron pan will wash easily if you put a little salt in it and wipe with paper. Cleaning stained cups - Rubbing with salt will remove stubborn tea or coffee stains from cups. Cleaning ovens - Salt and cinnamon take the "burned food" odor away from ovens and stove burners. Sprinkle spills while oven and burners are still hot; when dry, remove the salted spots with a stiff brush or cloth. Yeh, another one is .... Gargling - Stir 1/2 teaspoon salt in an 8-ounce glass of warm water for use as a gargle for sore throats.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Wow! You really do know the power of salt.
We use salt to scrub stuck on foods as well. We also use it for cleaning car parts and anything we are concerned about using a commercial cleanser on. It also works on cleaning driveways. I have never tried the trick to remove odors. We usualy use baking soda for thatbut salt is by far less expensive.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Thank you for sharing how you use salt. I have never heard it used to clean a driveway but why not?
• Marion, Kansas
My grandmother said to mix equal parts soda and salt to brush teeth. I found that to be a bit abrasive, but we did use it when we would run out, at her house. Have you ever dropped a raw egg on the floor-- carpet, or tile either one? How do you clean it up? Isn't it slimy----ewwwww!. Just sprinkle it with a solid layer of salt, then use a spatula to scoop it up once the egg is absorbed. Are you trying to control fleas in your house because of your pets? Afraid to use poisons in the carpets due to children and pets? Sprinkle salt in your carpets and leave it for at least two hours. It kills insects in the rugs. It is abrasive and it polishes the outside shell off and then dehydrates them. Some people sprinkle salt directly on garden slugs. Do you have tarnished copper? Cut a lemon in half, dip it in salt, and polish away. Okay, so that is what comes to my mind when you ask about using salt around the house.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I would think that salt would be a bit abrasive used on teeth. I have heard about salt on an egg but never actually tried it myself. I will keep in mind that it does work though.
@wolfie34 (26881)
Thank you for sharing the household tips, I will definitely try that as some of our pans get real messy. I find salt useful for slugs, we get a lot in the garden, and they keep eating the veg, put salt on them and it kills them, so it's a good 'organic' pesticide too!
@razcal2267 (15577)
I had totally forgotten about slugs. I can hear my mother now yelling at me that I yet again left her salt shaker outside and that I need to stop killing creatures as they are not bothering me. You are also right about it being a good natural pesticide.
@TerryZ (22146)
Hey I didnt know that and I only use salt for seasoning food. You bet I will try some of those useful tips. Im a big candle burner so that does come in handy for me.
@razcal2267 (15577)
There are so many more uses for salt then for your food, a lot of them are used in conjunction with vinegar or baking soda.
@whyaskq (7553)
At home, we used salt for "soaking" fruits and vegetables. At times, it was used with floor for washing intestines and organs before cooking. At times, I too drink warm water with a pinch of salt to reduce heatiness. And cut fruits like apples stays fresh with salt.
@Dumpertaker (1189)
As well as using salt for a preservative and using it as odour absorber it is a great natural abrasive for cleaning, sprinkle some on whatever and scrub away!
@Phlamingho (7834)
• Denmark
THat's good advice, I've never done it myself, but if it really works as well as you say, then I really have to try it out. Thanks.
That's a good tips. Thanks for sharing. I used to do so when I was with my parents in my rural village. Modern living seems to keep them away as it runs with many manufactured stuffs. We have cooped up in a lifestyle offered and created by manufacturers, right? Good post, Razcal2267! God bless!
@carolscash (9503)
These have been great tips for the use of salt. We have used it for slugs many times and I have used it to clean with too. If you combine it with lemon juice and water , you can use it to clean a coffee pot with.
@gewcew23 (8012)
The dead sea - The dead sea is known for its salt.
I have also heard that if you sprinkle it on your carpet, it will kill fleas and flea eggs. I had heard about stuck on foods but never the tupperware and candles. I thank you for sharing this information. I also had heard that you can use salt for a scrubbing agent. Thanks again and have a great weekend.
@fungurly1 (180)
If you want to shine something that is copper, you cant put salt and lemon juice together and it'll shine nice and bright. I learnt that from my 4th grade teacher along time ago when we were cleaning pennies..and it really works thats the great part.
@polachicago (19143)
I always use salt for cleaning more than for cooking. I use it also for garbage cans for absorbing odors. I have it also for soaking my tired feet...
@deebomb (15347)
This is a great discussion as usual for you. I love it when you share these house hold hints. I have used salt to clean up a dropped egg. I have also used it on canker soars and to keeep fruit from browning. In the area that get a lot snow and ice it is used to thaw ice on the streets and sidewalks. In ancient times salt was used to destroy the earth. It kills the plants and destroys However using it on a small scale it can kill weeds. And will wash away with rain. But do be careful. If you live near the ocean your car can rust from the salt that is in the air.