Sleeping disorder

@ahgong (10086)
Singapore
was watching Dark Angel the other day, there was this accountant that works for the mob, and he has a weird habit of falling asleep for no rhyme or reason. and he will wake up just as suddenly, going on with his activity as if nothing has happened. the two stooges with him told SAM(the lead character of the series) that his doctor say is a disorder with him, that he falls asleep as and when his mind switches off, and wakes up just as abruptly, laughing it off that he is a THE best accountant around, so "the boss ain't mind" question is, is there really such a disorder? Where one will suddenly fall a sleep without warning and wake up just as suddenly as if nothing had happened? what is this disorder called if there is one?
@squaretile (3835)
yup, I think there's a specific name of this disease too. I know someone who used to fall asleep during very important meetings. I don't think it's a matter of normal sleepiness. it's like uncontrollable. apparently those with parkinson's suffer from such sleep attacks. there was another comedy starring jim carrey that had the same story line too.
@ahgong (10086)
hmm... how does one know for sure if he/she is affiliated with such a disorder? Is there any remedy to handle such a disorder? Is it trigger based? As in the sleepiness will be triggered by certain things or events? in the case of your friend, the trigger is important meetings. Which show is the Jim Carrey that has the same story line? I would like to go rent the movie to watch :p
@stealthy (8189)
The closest I know of is narcolepsy, but I'm not too sure about the wake up part, but I think it works that way too. It can be a real problem in bad cases because it can lead to car accidents and such.
@ahgong (10086)
Thanks for the response! Appreciate it! Hmm... really. Interesting! And is there any cure for this disorder?
It sounds much like the Sleep Apnea syndrome in which the airways for whatever reason, usually weight distribution is wrong in the torso and upper chest and even neck to cause slight and slow asphyxiation (suffocation). I worked in a hospital for a group practice of kidney, ear nose and throat, gastro and learned enough from the cardiologist down the hall that breathing, regularly or mostly irregularly causes many complications, sleeping disorders specifically.
@ahgong (10086)
Thanks for the response! Appreciate it! I thought Sleep Apnea only affects those that are sleeping. Where the breathing is disrupted during sleep. In the show, this guy was talking to the lead character and suddenly just collapsed on the table in mid sentence and started snoring in deep sleep. Then just as suddenly, he woke up and continued with his sentence which he left off earlier, like nothing happened. I am wondering if this kind of sleep disorder is real. Or if there are similar sleep disorder that exists in the real world.