Why do People always want my bags for free???

Koolaid Jammer or caprisun handbags - How tired I am right now. These are ten of my favorites.
I am so tired right now I have just decided to stop for the night. I went to bed after 3am and I am tired. I have so many people who love my bags. At the same time they all want to have their hands out for a free bag. I don't even buy the juice anymore. I pay good money for these empty pouches off ebay. Does anyone have the kindness of a cat to realize my bags are made with my time and money? I was just thinking of this appointment I have Tuesday. These 2 woman in the office wanted a bag each at no cost. Don't get me wrong I gave a lot of bags away. They were all to my customers online. They also brought other buyers to me. I just want to finish making all the bags I can since my sewing machine will be in storage. I will be mailing these 2 NY before I leave. I can't take it any longer what is a person to do or say without being rude?? Thanks for the help. :(
@Polly1 (12648)
Those bags look so cool. Some people do have their nerve to ask for one of them free. When someone ask for one, just simply say you wish you could just give them away but you can't. Then let them know what the price is for them. Your time is worth something, plus the cost of materials to make them. I had no idea you could buy the empty bags from ebay. I sell some on ebay, I told my mom you can buy anything on ebay, I guess I was right, hehe.
I could even see if they were offing to pass out my business cards. Nothing.. they just want what they can get free.
Maybe you could try to tell them," Now that I have given enough away to get ppl interested, how much do you think I should charge? It costs me $$$ to make them and I spen such and such amout of time making each one. I don't want this to just be a hobby, I really wat to make some money off of my bags. What price would you suggest? Maybe they will get the hint. If not, simply tell them you ust can't afford to give them away anymore.
I love your answer, it puts the shoe on the other foot. Have them set a price. They are not junk. They are really popular around here.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Wow, I guess you really can buy anything off ebay! Empty juice pouches...maybe I should start selling on there LOL! As for your problem, I think you just need to be direct with these people. They are the ones being rude expecting you to give them free bags. If they think you are rude for refusing then that's their problem. Even if your supplies were free, your time is still valuable. It isn't at all fair to expect you to give your time away.
If you start selling them be sure to save up the kool aid jammers. Those are the ones I bid on often. I even pick the freshly dropped ones off the ground.
@maddysmommy (16233)
Tell them about all the hard work you put into making them and that you will not give it away for FREE. How else are you going to make a living off of it if you give them away for nothing. I don't know why people are always looking for a handout. Btw you are quite clever. I have never seen anything like that before.
Thanks for the strong no!. :)
@soccermom (3200)
You can buy empty Capri Sun pouches off of Ebay? Wow. We go through lots of those in our house, I never thought of selling them. I can see why your bags are popular. I have a friend that makes and sells duct tape handbags, some of them you'd never even know were made out of duct tape to look at them. Shoot, I wasn't even aare of all the colors they sold until she started doing this. She has the same problem as you, everyone wants one for free and doesn't think of the materials and time put into it. I guess you're just going to have to put your foot down. Tell people that you would love to give them a freebie if this were just a hobby, but this is part of your lively hood so you just an't give them away. If they get rude just ask them flat out "Do you think my time is worth nothing?" Good luck to you! (By the way, I think assuming you'd give one for free is rude to begin with)
Yes you can slit the bottom and soak them in a large bucket. The let them air dry for a few days. Also buy some goo gone and remove the Glue. places them on ebay for a low starting bid. If you fill a jammer box shipping should run about $7.00 I buy the ones from the seller who lists them for me for $30.00 for 400 packs. I only buy kool aid jammers to go with my store. Http://www.koolaidpursestore.com
@paidreader (5151)
These bags are soooo cute! I'm sure you have your hands full with the freebie seekers too! If only my nieces were a bit younger, I would buy one for each of them. :D There are a few suggestions I can pass along. You might offer a free bag if they refer X amount of buyers. Of course, you'd have to calculate how many sales it would take to keep you in profit even with the "free" bag included. The other suggestion would be to offer a multiple purchase discount. The more they buy, the more they could save type offer. It wouldn't take much to make the buyer feel like they were getting a "special deal" even if it's just 5 or 10% off one bag with the purchase of 5 bags at regular price. Without knowing the price you charge, it's hard to give a good example, but making multiple sales could keep your profits high and keep from hurting anyones feelings by being rude. I'm not sure how much you're paying for the empty bags, plus shipping and handling, but you might even offer a trade. Have them provide enough empty juice bags to create 3-4 purses in exchange for one completed bag. That would at least cover most of the cost for your materials for one bag, so in return for one completed bag, you get the materials for 2-3 more. Best of Luck!
If you have a few elementary schools or daycares in your area, you may want to see if they would be willing to work out a deal for saving their juice bags for you. Maybe you could offer an incentive to the school for their help, yet still reduce some of your material expenses. You wouldn't believe the contests they have to generate those boxtops for education labels, lol. The children in the lower grades are always happy for any top honor prizes, so the trinkets would work for prizes to the top student (maybe per grade) with maybe one purse for the teacher with the class that brings in the most (again per grade). The daycares would just be throwing away the empty juice packs, so they would probably love getting a free purse every so often, if they saved all their empties for you.
You have had some really good and helpful posts here, and a lot of ideas to use. If you do not want to deal with the two ladies at all, you could say "My orders are backed up until after Christmas, I am sure if you wait until after Christmas, and provide me with enough bags I can make you one in my "slow time". Or even shorter yet,"I would be glad to write the instructions for you to make one exactly like you would like to have it". My thought is that either one of these ladies, if you gave them a free bag, would complain about all the "faults" they see in them. If they paid something for them they would value them more.
Your so right about this it's a shame. when I first started to make them one free bag was quoted on like oh this thread should be cut lower. This that and the next oh how right you r. Thanks for the help.
I would explain to people that it does cost money and time to get these cute bags made up. Tell them that is isnt possible to make the bags with out some sort of payment to even it out for you. I think most rational people would understand. I once saw these cute bags on posh points. I didnt have enough points at the time, but now I am waiting for them to come back. My daughter wants one so bad. Do you sell them online somewhere?
I had them on posh points LOL I do sell them online as well. I can make arrangements for a purse for your daughter. PM I will not be online after tomorrow the truck will be picking my stuff up to move. How old is your daughter? I'll be making these bags all night. I am so tired. http://koolaidpursestore.com Please don't buy anything we can talk in the pm. I am locked out of my pay pal.
@sid556 (31002)
Very creative. I make handbags and totes also. they are very simple to make but very unique and cute. People are always asking me to make them one for free. Many people will take anything for free if you are willing to give it to them. You have to learn to say NO and stick to it.
I would love to see one of your bags as well. I have to say no and be firm as I need to be. While staying polite to them at the same time.
@mflower2053 (3227)
Those are great bags. They are really cute. I would just tell people that now seeing how popular my bags have become I will be selling any others that I make for my time and money that I put into each bag. If you would like to buy one you can for and give them the price. They should understand. If not then they don't deserve to even buy one. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the tip. I have decided not to give the lady's the bags. They have to invest in my time and stress. :)
@crazynurse (7489)
People just don't think. I'm not sure if it is as much being rude as it is just not thinking. Surely if they realize that you are not making these bags for your good health, rather as a source of income, they'd not ask for freebies! Anyway, I'd be forced to say something like, "As much as I'd love to make a bag for you for free, I am having to pay more and more for my supplies and I just can't afford to. This is not just a hobby for me, I utilize this money as part of my livelihood." I really, really, like the suggestions of the poster above, about ways to have the person 'earn' a freebie by buying a bag or proeducing business for you!
Awesome thanks very much.
i was a seamstress for many years,people are always trying to get work for reduced/free,or even worse they try to haggle.they seem to think crafters have unlimited time,so it won't hurt us to give some away or something. i'd just tell them i'm sorry,but i can't make these if my power's turned off therefore i will need money for my work. incidentally? i've also noticed the people who want work for free are always the first to keep on you about it.nerve,huh?
I am most surly using this one. You know I just paid $110.00 for my lights and I have to use ac to make these. Thanks
Aww ! What a cute idea! How did u ever think of such a thing? And why do u have ot put your machine away for storage? i bet u could make alot of money making those couldsnt ya? And u could buy some beads and stuff and personalize them with names and such..but i would just be upfront and tell people..look i cant give them away anymore i have been paying money and spending alot of time on them..and say i need at least this many $ for them..thats all..dont worry about makin anyone mad..if they want them..they will pay:)
Capri sun handbag - I love making these handbags
I bought a bag from someone one ebay. I loved the koolaid packs so much. The bag was made horrible and was so dirty. I emailed the seller so fast to tell her of her horrible job. Then I thought it would be so cool to make my beach bag. Then came the others,and the others. I am on to this new style now. I have to sew all night long to have them made before I store my machine.
@KrauseHome (35690)
Sometimes people do not just understand time, and such. I know someone who used to make these, and they are Cool looking, but I would never expect one for Free unless she offered to give me one. They should respect you charge money for these, and be Glad to want to pay for them.
Does this mean you are into a bag manufacturing business? If yes, that is great. People everywhere really like freebies. If they are your customers you can expect that they will truly be more demanding. If not, that was just their attitude. Most people love asking for things that would cost them nothing and wont care about what it will cost to the other person. When these things happen to me, I will just tell them, ask me something else. It will be impossible for me to give this one away and then I will state the reason.
@tim_un (355)
in my opinion, i think everybody have the right to make their own decision.in this case, other people can decide themselves but have to responsible for their decision no matter how is the result at the same time.