Mother who have no control over the kids while shopping

I was enjoying my thrift shopping at the big salvation army. I had never been to this larger one before. From the time I got in to start browsing the stuff. I keep hearing this woman call her daughter' Briyana this and Briyanna that the entire darn time. I mean the child was running all about the store and her bigger sister about 7. Tried to get control of her. Then the woman is in front of me on the line 10 minutes before closing. Would you believe the child was clinging back and forth the stores china and stuff. The mother on the line telling the older daughter to get her. I said to my daughter's friend to please take my bag and pay for my skirt. I could not take it any longer. Before I would tell the woman off I had to leave the store. She came out still yelling at the hard headed child. That child clearly knew what her mother was saying. She just has no parenting skills what so ever.
Clearly what that child needed was not to be yelled at but to get a swat on the butt. However,in this day and age that is called *abuse*! I lived through the occaisional spanking and so did my son. I was not allowed to be a brat and we certainly did not act like that in a store! The bible says *Spare the rod,spoil the child.*
While I do on rare occasion swat my child on the butt when she is really out of control, I don't make it a regular practice because guess what? I think it IS abuse to make a practice of hitting someone that much smaller than yourself. The Bible also says to not vex your children--you know, in the New Testament? The part that's actually most relevant to Christians? And did you know that not all parents are Christians, and that spanking doesn't cure all misbehavior? When my daughter acts out in a store we remove her. Usually it turns out she was very tired and needed a nap. Am I going to spank my daughter for needing to *sleep*? That's horrible. I realized one day after dealing with this that there were going to be some people who thought my daughter was a hellion. However, there have been other people who thought she was exceptionally well-behaved for a two and a half year old. You can't judge a child by one encounter, nor a parent's parenting skills or values.
The parent shopped the entire time yelling across the store at the child. She never once stopped to get the child or even to see if she was tired. The child was playing with the stores glass items and the mother stood there across the room yelling at the child. This was clearing a very slack woman with no parenting skills. A good parent would have at least taken the child by the hand to keep her close by. Not this mother her shopping cart was more important.
@judyt00 (3504)
We have one family like that who come in every Friday afternoon. the mother goes about her business while the kids justrun!. every 3 or 4 minutes she yells MARCO, and the 5 kids yell POLO back from all over the store. I think she's afraid someone is going to steal her brat. FAT CHANCE. WE have to watch what they are doing. if someone tried to take one of them, we'd probably pay him!
@lisagayle (395)
I cannot blame you for leaving the store when you did, that kind of behavior from mother and child makes me sick, my daughter has never done anything like that and if she ever does, she will get a nice hard swat on the buttocks, and she is now 12, but she had never act like that in public, i may have been a little hard on her according to some parents, but I have never put up with that kind of behavior from my child and I do not intend on starting. I was never allowed to act like that. If this trend of not disciplining your children continues, they had better start building a lot more prisons now, so there is enough room for all of people when they grow up and become even bigger pains in the butt than they already are.
There is no wonder these kids be beating the parents. Thanks
@Flight84 (3050)
I work as a preschool teacher and there are plenty of problem children. It's amazing to me though, that I can, as well as the other teachers, control the children that the parents seem to have absolutely no authoritity over what so ever. I guess a lot of parents are scared to discipline in public because people will 'frown' upon it, but who cares? If your child needs discipline then you need to give it. Several parents in our center have no disciplinary skills at all. The child you were talking about needs some discipline and it needs to start being enforced now.
@judyt00 (3504)
But they want to be their child's 'friend', not their parent. I had that exact experience last night I work in a department store, and some kid was bouncing a basket ball in the jarred foods aisle. I asked the kid to take the ball back to toys to play with it because if she broke a bottle, someone would get hurt. she ignored me, twice at my third request, the mother spoke up and said 'she heard you, but I don't talk to my kids like that. They can do what ever they want.' So, I took the ball away, and said, 'In this store, we all have rules to live by.'
@roniroxas (10576)
i have 4 kids and when they are still little i do talk to them when we are going out. i explained it to them that they have to make sure they will behave or else i will not bring them next time. and so far they were are moral citizens when we are outside. kids are really kids they can really be trouble at some point of times but parents should be responsible enough to take charge not just shouting and asking them to stop but to take actions as well. if they cant controll their kids then might as well cancel the shopping. thats what i do with my kids if they will not behave then we will all go home, i did it once so they know i will do it again. now my kids are already teens and when ever they see children noisy, naughty or doing stuffs that are not nice they are asking if they are like that. i am proud to say that yes they do that but listens when i told them to stop.
@jfeets726 (775)
I use to be a manager of a local discount store and I saw this all of the time. I vowed that when I was a parent, I would not let my children act like that. I have a three year old now and I no longer work in retail, I work from home. Yes, she does have her moments when she shopping with me, but she is realy good most of the time. The key is for parents to keep their children busy. Whenever I go grocery shopping, I always have my daughter help me put things in the cart. I just pretend like it is too heavy and that I need help. Also, when checking out, I also let her help me put them items up on the register. If there isn't anyone behind me, I will let my daughter pay for me. Lol, I have to be careful though she is getting pretty good at swiping my card! For anything that requires browsing, like clothes shopping for shopping at the Salvation Army, I would try and leave my daughter at home with her father. If he was busy, I would try another family member or I would just wait and go to another time.
I taught my daughter real early how to clearance shop and she had so much fun. I showed her the clearance tickets and told her to find the special tickets and how to find the size. I also recently did this with my friends grandaughter and she had a ball. No more wandering around the shopping stores. Thats good what you teach your daughter. It's the little things that count. :)
@judyt00 (3504)
As long as they just don't bring you the ticket!
I have seen this to way to many times and yes unfortunately I went into a store one time with my 7 year old and he just went crazy. I was so embarressed that we left the store right away and yes when we got home he got a swat and the corner. The problem with them acting like that in the store is yes some parents don't care but for the ones that do you can't really punish them in public because you don't no if the lady next to you is going to call the abuse hot line on you or not. it doesn't give parents who want decent children much to work with. But that lady should have left the store right away instead of making the 7 year old deal with it thats crazy and lazy.
Your right as to think this way. People who care would leave the store and go back later. This woman just stood there calling this wild child. My friend grabbed her unruly child in the store one day. This lady followed them in the car all the way home. Cps came to the house and did an investigation. They told my friend sorry and also set up counseling for her. She had someone come to her home for an hour a day for 3 days a week. She got to go shopping,to the laundry and everything. There is help out there and she got it.
@magnet (2087)
My 5 year old and 1 year old act better when we go out shopping than they do at home.Everytime we go somewhere before we get out the car, I tell them the rules and what I expect and the consequences. My one year old will occasionally play hide and seek and I say no no to her and that's all I have to do to get her to listen. My son when he was about 3 years old use to run in the store and I did not wait to go home to spank him. I spanked him and I did not care what anyone thought of me for doing it.Although people looked at me like I was crazy.Either way people would look at me. I'd rather get him then than wait till he gets home while he embarrass heck out of me. He is now 5 and I can go shopping in peace. He does not like to get into trouble in public, so he always behaves when he's out with me.I feel for that Mother. I guess she must have been embarrassed for her children to behave that way. She might have been one of those parents who does not believe in making her children behave in public.
your a great mother and your rewards will be seen for that. If that womans child would have dropped that glass she would be out of money. My mother told us from the time we could hear and understand. If you don't have any money don't touch it.
@judyt00 (3504)
Yes, I work in retail. we see them all the time, people who think their children should be allowed to do whatever they want, and people who do nothing but whine at spoiled, unruly brats. Some of these kids and parents need a few good, hard smacks: the kids on the bottom, the parents on the back of the head to get that hamster moving again.
I am so glad I was able to leave the store for relief. There should be more managers speaking to parents about this behavior. Forget about the money they need to make the other shoppers comfortable.
@makingpots (11922)
As a mother who tries very hard to teach my son the way he is expected to act when we are in public...... it annoys me very much to be around another mother making no real attemp to control their child. In a situation like you describe I often find myself thinking, "obviously yelling at them is not helping - TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!". But I never speak up. I just suffer in silence like most other people. I have been known on occassion to find something to busy the out of control child with just to give us all a little relief.
@_hope_ (3906)
You see this sort of thing happening more and more often .Parents seem to let their children run amuck all the time they have no social skills what so ever .If my children ever did anythink like this when we were out then action would of been taken and that child would miss out on the next outing they soon learned what was acceptable in public and what wasn`t .
In my case, I talk to my children first before we go out so that there wont be any hassle outside. I always hate it when they put up such acts and would even use other situation to tell them what is annoying and what is not. I love kids very much but I do not appreciate those who are too hard headed.