You work at an elegant law firm as a paralegal. Your boss asks you one day to

empty his trash can. What do you do? Do you think this is demeaning?
@brendakaya (2335)
I would probably just smile and do it. I don't know what this person is normally like, so I can't say if it's demeaning or not. I share an office with my supervisor, and I am the one that almost empties the trash can. She doesn't force me to, I just do it, out of courtesy to the both of us.
problem is you smile and do it, then your boss keeps asking you to empty his trash then it somehow becomes part of your job. since you didnt speak up the 1st time you have no leg to stand on. then resentment starts building up, now what?
I don't know, I guess I'd just be afraid that if I said something back about that not being part of my job, that the person would get mad and make my life more heck than it already is. I rarely ever speak up for myself, which is probably not a good thing, except, if you need a job, you might not want to make too many waves. I guess I'd just try to pick my battles wisely. Sometimes in my case, just saying hi to my boss, gets my feelings hurt. Basically because if she's in a bad mood, the closest person gets the wrath, and since that's usually me, I never know what I'm walking into anyway. Most of the time, she's super nice, but sometimes, I feel like she hates me. So, I just try to do what I can, to make her life a little easier, as well as my own.
I agree we should pick and choose our battles but you cant go thru life "afraid of what might be". Sounds like you need assertiveness training right? My problem is everything becomes a battle thats why Im slowing down to question my every decision. When I give people an inch, they want the whole darn yard and I am not used to giving anything! There is hope for me though! You understand?
@sid556 (31002)
my boss treats me very respectfully and kind. If one day he asked me to do something that was not in my job description, I would not have a problem with it. He has taken over my work so that I can visit a minute with one of my daughters or take a personal phone call. I have no problem doing something extra for him.
thats hard to find today. you are fortunate to have a boss like that, I guess I would empty trash for a boss like that