Kristen and college

Kristen went yesterday and took some exams at the local community college. She scored high enough, and has now been accepted into the Registered Nursing Program there. She starts classes on August 20th. She's excited at the prospect of nursing, and wants to work in pediatrics. What were your career goals when you were 18? Did you follow them? Did you achieve them?
@Feona1962 (7529)
My goal was to become a Registered Nurse. But with everything that has happened in my life, I have yet to get it done. I am only 45 so I think I can still do it..It is the only thing that I have ever wanted to do. Right now I am trying to figure out how to pay for college.
@Feona1962 (7529)
I am so glad she is doing what she loves.
Don't know where you are...but I am thinking more and more that Community colleges are the way to go. Their fee per credit hour is 1/4 of what even the state run Universities are. They have excellent programs for such things as computers, nursing and business.
@Feona1962 (7529)
I am in Pennsylvania, and there is a 2 year program that I am going to look into. There is a LPN course that is 13 months and cost $9,000, but the 2 year RN is about $13,000, so I thought I would just do the 2 year.. I could probably get financial aid or something, I just have to make an appointment and find out what I need to do. My last nursing classes were in 1995 and I scored a 4.0 GPA. It has been 12 years and I am sure I will need to start over, but that is okay, with everything changing in the medical field and all. thank you.
@villageanne (8579)
Nursing is a great career choice. There is a great need for RN's in our area. Seems to be alot of LPN's though. I wanted to major in journalism and no I did not follow it through. I opted to get married and raise my family instead. I have never regretted my choice. Now that my children are out of college and married...the desire to write has returned so I am looking into perfecting my writing ability and giving it a shot.
books - bookshelf and books
Connie, did I ever tell you that I had a full scholarship to the University of Texas at Arlington on a journalism scholarship, and decided that once away from home for the first time, that I'd become the party queen? I lost all that scholarship money.
Wow that is a shame. We do tend to make some wrong choices in our lives but if we learn from them, they may be worth it in the long run.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Wow that is great. I wanted to get my degree in child care and I did do that goal even if I never really used it. Tell her congrats and to work hard and she will enjoy the rewards of accomplishment.
nursing motto - cute nursing phrase
She's looking forward to starting. She told me yesterday that she's actually excited about starting school for the first time in a long time. She was so tired at the end of the year last year.
@Savvynlady (3686)
I wish Kristen well in Nursing School; From what I am told, it is truly challenging; Please keep us posted. I am interested in getting into Nursing school hopefully by next fall myself; Have to do some prerequisites before getting to that.
nursing wannabe - small child in nursing uniform
We come from a family of nurses. Two of my aunts, and several cousins. My aunt is a nurse practitioner. She was ecstatic when Kristen called her to tell her that she'd been accepted. This program at the community college has everything they need from start to finish, including the basics.
@aprilgrl (4460)
My goal was to be a Veterinarian. I went to school for 2 years.I can be a veterinarian assistant It takes a long time to be a veterinarian but at least I went couple of years.
You and my daughter would get along! She is working in the kennel at a vet clinic. She loves the dogs and cats that come in. Now, if I could just convince her to quit bringing them home.