Controversial subject matter

@cyntrow (8527)
OK here's the question. As most who know me know; I post and respond to volatile subjects. I'm curious. Do you beat the dead horse until you are exhausted? Or do you give up early on and admit defeat or belittle the person out of pure exhaustion? I must admit, I tend to fight until I can't fight anymore. I feel that if I can open the mind of one, perhaps they can open the minds of others. Any thoughts?
@mummymo (23709)
Well I have my opinions sweets but I do try to take the fact that other people may believe in their opinion as much as I agree with mine! I will explain my position to them and why I don't agree with their opinion but I will also agree to disagree when it is appropriate! I admire the way you feel - I just think that it is very rare to open someones mind who has an opposing view to yours and I wouldn't want anyone determined to change my beliefs! xxxx
@cyntrow (8527)
I wish I could walk away. Unfortunately, most of the discussion that I fight on are things that, I feel I have to fight, for my family and friends; it is their lives and health at stake. Ok, I'm a drama queen. But I do feel the need to change as many minds as possible. I feel that it may take more strength to walk away. I'm not that strong.
@mummymo (23709)
Who are you trying to kid - you are one of the strongest women I know and I admire you totally! There are times when I do this but I have to feel there is some point to it - there is no point banging your head against a brick wall though! Just to let you know I have a copy of stick it though I haven't had a chance to watch it yet - see I do listen to you! lol xxx
@cyntrow (8527)
Watch it. It's a great movie. You know, sometimes I think it takes more strength to walk away. I remember seeing my father getting punched at a protest of some sort. He stood up, smiled and turned away while the guy who punched him was calling him all sorts of vial names. I don't know if I could do that. Ah thoughts and memories.
@emeraldisle (13158)
For myself it depends on the subject at hand and also the arguments of the other person. To be honest if the arguments are foolish or without merit I will continue to try and show that they have no leg to stand on. Now if they have good arguments it can be fun to go back and forth but soon I realize they aren't going to change and I'll drop it. Let people read both sides and perhaps it will get them to think, which is what is more important to me. Getting them to think and not just parrot what they have heard. That they actually think about the issue and choose for themselves.
@cyntrow (8527)
I often wish I could leave it alone, but many times pride won't let me. There is no subject I will fight for, if I don't feel it worth the fight. As you know, Homosexuality is my pet subject. For this, for instance, I feel that the health and well being of people I love depend upon my fighting and trying to change minds. still, I can chalk it up to pride. Thanks for responding.
I am like you and I will fight my corner till the bitter end. I will stay strong minded and not resort to insults but if I am up against someone who is just plain ignorant, I may put in the odd word, which I know does not help and this just often leads to a slanging match. I had many different views about things when I joined Mylot and I admit some have changed by the different responses I have read, so I feel that by not giving up, it may get through to someone and help them see things in a different light.
@lecanis (16739)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
It really depends on whether I feel like it's getting me anywhere, and my own mental and physical health of the moment. There are days when I'll fight to the bitter end in the hope of opening someone's mind even a little, and then there are days when I'm just not up to it. Lately since I've been having a lot of health problems, I must admit that I've been quicker to let things go than normal. I don't feel that I ever resort to rudeness or insults, but I do tend to just go away after a while. It's all a matter of weighing the possible harm to myself versus the possible good I could be doing for the other person (or the people who have to live with them, as the case may be). *thinks* That's a religious thing for me as well, considering the consequences of every action from many angles. So I put a lot of thought into everything I say, online or offline, and weigh carefully whether I'm possibly doing any good or not.
@cyntrow (8527)
I must just be a totally stubborn biotch. LOL. I guess I am my parents child. My folks would go to jail before backing down on something they feel strongly about. i just get tired. At that point, i will probably say something offensive, which they usually don't get, and I will bow out. Until then....I just can't help myself. LOL Sometimes I feel like Don Quiote