Our House Helper Cannot Sleep Without The LIghts On

@molusk (857)
This is our problem with our house helper. She just cannot sleep without the lights on. Since we are trying to conserve on electric bills, I tried to tell her to put off the light on her room during the night when she sleeps. But everytime when I can wake up in the middle of the night, I can most of the time see that her lights are on. I decided to confront her about this, and she told me that she finds it quite hard to sleep if there is no lights. She then begged me to let her put on the lights at night so that she can sleep. Well, since she will find it hard to work if she cannot sleep well at night, I agreed to let her put on the lights just so she can sleep. Do you have a member of your household who is like her? Who cannot sleep without the lights on?
cant sleep with the lights on..and all in the family cant..we got used of sleeping wthout the lights..its very dsturbing to sleep with the lights on...catching my attention and would fnd it real hard to fall asleep..
@Foxxee (3653)
I can't sleep unless I have the TV on. Jus the lights from the TV help me sleep, for some reason. I can't stand not having any light at all. Maybe get a nightlight for her, the ones that actually light up the whole room and they do not run the bills up. PLus, if you think about it, if she keeps her light of during the day and then keeps it on only at nights, I'm sure it doesn't really run the power bill up like you think.
@aj2006 (1536)
I cannot sleep without lights too.. but of course, I have to admit that electric bills will go high with that habit, so what I did is find a low voltage light bulb. dim light is fine with me. sometimes, I will tell my husband to turn it off if I am already asleep.. it is a bif help too.
@Calais (10900)
You might have to offer her an energy saving night light. Im glad that we can all sleep with the lights out..
@clocks123 (1228)
how about having a small nightlight in her room it wouldn't be too much electricity and she wouldn't be in complete darkness
@mkirby624 (1599)
put those swirly lights in her room. The bulb is like swirled around. Anyway, they are more expensive bulbs, but they save money.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
I can understand your wanting to save energy. Maybe you can give her a little night light to plag up at night. They are not too bright, therefore, they do not pull a lot of energy. Another alternative to saving energy could be to get her a battery operated light and she can be responsible for buying new batteries. When I was a child, I had problems sleeping without a light on. But, since I have been an adult, I have had to work over night in a lot of different houses and there was no room for that kind of fear.
@DJ9020 (1596)
There may be something in her past that causes her to fear the dark. If she is otherwise a good employee, there are a lot of alternatives that you can use, which several people have mentioned. A small night light often works very well, as do CFL - compact florescent lights if you have them. I think there are even nightlights you can get with timers, that will shut off after 30 minutes or an hour.
@drannhh (15044)
Yes, I married one! I have very good night vision and can detect the smallest amount of light even with my eyes closed. I would prefer to sleep in total darkness. He, on the other hand, keeps a flashlight by the bed in case the power goes out! He is extremely uncomfortable in the dark and he feels that he cannot find his way around if he needs to get up in the night. Early on we had to come to a compromise if we wanted to continue sleeping in the same room, so we used an extension cord to put a fairly bright night light all the way under his side of the bed so that it illuminates the hallway. When he is sleeping his body blocks most of the light that would reach my side of the room, but if he gets up in the night, then I will usually notice the light and wake up. This is not a problem, because usually he offers to make me a yummy middle-of-the-night snack. Regarding your helper, since she has her own room and presumably closes the door, It would seem to be her right to use whatever utilities she prefers on her own time. If, however, the cost of burning a light bulb is so expensive where you live that the cost troubles you, why don't you just buy her a more energy efficient lamp? It would be cruel to force an employee in your home who works for your family to sleep in the dark if that frightens her. I should think that showing kindness toward your employee would be as important to you as the effect of good sleep on the quality of her work.
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hi there. We have 2 children and we leave the light in our hall way on, so if they wake in night, they can see where they're going, especially to the toilet if they have too... Just lately I went and bought a night light, that runs by battery, all they have to do, is push on it and it lights up, then they push on again to shut it off... That may come in handy for your house helper...
@elmo1211 (212)
we once encountered something like this and we resolved it by buying a small lamp that is actually just a small bulb. it lights up the room but it's an energy saving light that does not consume too much electricity coz it's just a very small bulb. it provides the feeling that the room is well-lit at night coz you could see everything. but it is somehow dimmed a bit coz it's an energy saver.
@andyvish (901)
That type of servants are really a problem for the whole household.
@ssh123 (31104)
Strage are the habits people have. To conserve the energy, all you have to do is to put zero candle bulb which consumes negligible power and serves the purpose.