Should we give tips or not?

I have seen an establishment where people are prohibited to give tips. The reason behind this is that they want everyone to know that they are happy to give service to people from the bottom of their hearts. What's your opinion about giving tips? Is it okay or not?
@blackbriar (9080)
I will freely give good tips providing the service was good. Very seldom have I left a penny or nickel tip for bad service cause the waiters/waitresses I've had were all great ppl who truly loved their jobs and showed it.
@swatig (1187)
Wht I think is to give tips who really deserve it. and we have to understand the real life facts that while giving tips, the problem of peverty is not going to solved. its jst a gesture or show the kindness for the service he provide us. if you not in favour then not give, nobody complain u.
@kaplya (1578)
i think giving tips directly to waiters is not really okay. it's better that they fix a certain amount for that purpose on their billing. though if some don't want people to give tips to their employees then it's okay especially if they are a big establishment and can well pay their employees. but in small ones this way we can help servicing staffs by these tips and amounts!:)
@roniroxas (10576)
giving tips are like appreciating the well service the staff and crew. yes i do give tips and i know they are happy to receive one. i am a singer and i am happy too to receive tips from costumers you give credits to a hard song they wanted me to sing. of course it has to come from the heart. a also give tips to taxi drivers who are not boastful and very honest.
@arcidy (5016)
I dont think we really should have to give tips it is there job to serve us so I dont know why we have to tip them I kind of wish baggers should ger tipped because technically isnt it the same thing as a server we give them there food lol man if I got tipped for every person I bagged I would be rich I would be making more money ont tips then my paycheck.
@cyntrow (8524)
And how much do you make as a bagger, arcidy? 7 dollars in the federal minimum, so you have to make at least that. Servers make 3 bucks an hour tops. They count on tips to make a living wage. If you don't want to tip, don't eat at a restaurant.
@roniroxas (10576)
hey arcidy it is only my opinion, and for me i will give tip or i will not, depends on me.... its my money anyway. and why will i give a tip to a bagger? if he accompany me up to a ride the taxi then i will give a tip to a bagger. and cyntrow is right if you dont want to give tips then dont eat on restaurant you can eat at fast food.
@williamjisir (22903)
I think that it is good to give tips. This way we will spend less time doing some research work. I like to give some tips based on my personal experience if my friends ask me to.
Most places around here don't pay waitreses or waiters enough to live on so they have to have there tips. But if they don't earn there tips then they don't deserve one. If places pay there people enough so they don't need tips then that is okay.. I don't like places that require you to give them a certain amount and they didn't deserve that amount. They need to deserve a tip in order to get one.
@djmarion (4901)
i usually give tips whenever i eat on a restaurant, it is my way of thanking the person who served me and i think this should not be prohibited as long as it is not compulsary.
Here we don't have this habit. But if the service is very well, I agree that we can give out the tips. Anyway, that's not much but it can show you that you appreciate and feel satisfactory to the service. So I think it's OK to give it.
I belive in it but it has to earned not expected and if the server did there jopb well then i will tip but if they only did enough to get me food then maybe maybe not.
@dreamy1 (3815)
I hate tipping. I hate to feel obligated to do so. Sometimes I tip sometimes I don't. I've had discussions on several message boards about tipping and they can get very nasty. When I tell people if and when I tip it's usually 10% OMG you would have thought I said I killed the waiter/waitress. I don't like that. I used to live in Taiwan and they don't tip there and I loved it. I've never been a server and would never work as a server. I know they make like $2 and hour but I think if you don't make enough money you need to get another job. If you want to tip that's fine but don't make other people feel like their cheap so and so's and whatever nasty name you want to call them because they don't want to be obligated to tip.
@dreamy1 (3815)
I hate when people say of I don't want to tip to go to McDonalds or don't even go out at all. It just so happens that I don't eat out a lot but if I tip or not I have every right to go any place I want. Tipping is not the law so I don't want to feel forced and guiled into doing it. And if they can't afford a gallon of milk that week they need to get a different job if it's not paying enough to live on
@cyntrow (8524)
Well don't be surprised if someone spits in your food. You obviously can't see the world beyond your own back yard. I've waited tables to pay my way through college. People like you are HATED and should be. If you like the tip system in taiwan, go back there. But if you go to a restaurant in the US, do what is right. It is not right to rob a person of their income. I don't consider you cheap. I just think your thought processes are ignorant and selfish. Go to Mcdonalds.
@dreamy1 (3815)
How am I robbing anyone? I paid for my food. I just don't want to pay for anything extra if I don't want to. As far as getting food spit on is that what you did? How would they know I won't tip until after I left how are they going to spit in my food then? If I do go out I usually don't go to the same places ( I like variety) so they won't know me as a "non tipper" to spit in my food before hand. Is that what you did too? No one should expect a tip if you get one great if you don't you should still do your job just like you normally would regardless if someone tipped or not because it's your job. People have a huge problem with entitlement these days.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I hope they are paying those people a reasonable wage. Most resturants assume that the staff will get tips & so they pay them the minimum wage for food service workers that is MUCH less than for other jobs, because they assume that the difference will be made up in tips.
@cyntrow (8524)
They pay less than minimum wage: about 3 to 5 dollars less than minimum.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Most resturants don't pay the minimum, there's a "special" minimum wage for waiters & stuff. But this place doesn't want tips given so I'm there for hoping that they ARE pay at least minimum wage so these people can make a living. In places, like fast food joints that don't have waiters they have to pay at least minimum wage.
@cyntrow (8524)
yes, but she doesn't live in the US so gratuities are probably included with the meal.
@andrejuly84 (1047)
i think is ok giving tips.you can help that way other person that might need them for doing something,so it's a proof of goodness i guess
I think all places should be like that. That way nobody would have to complain about how they didn't get a tip for doing their job. I know some jobs don't pay as much as others and some restaruants don't even pay minimum wage because they are expected to get tips. I think that is dumb because why should we pay their wages? If the place has to raise their prices to do it, then so be it. I never once got tipped for being a farmer, or a construction worker. I helped put that food on your table, where's my tip for doing that?? btw I did get paid good money to farm. That's not the point though.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
I think tips are ok as long as they are not against anyone's rules. I think it is always ok to look out for anyone you can.
@KrisNY (7591)
Of course I think tip giving is ok- If you think the service was great- then tip the person- I even tip at the ice cream stand from time to time- when they are super friendly or give me a big ice cream cone- : ) and always at eating establishments (except fast food) the waiters and waitresses do not get paid that well.
we are not obliged to give tips, but if we're too happy with the service, i think its ok to give tips.. me, i always check for the bill if i'm charge for services, if i am, i dont give tip, if not, i do.
What kind of place is this? Maybe the Hotels and restaurant in Japan? as they already have a service charge..but in any case I think this is a company rule and it encourages employees not to look for tips to favor one custome over the other. Unless there is a union how could you get the employer to change his policy? My wife does not believe in tips..maybe a dollar and I don't fight with her..but we don't go to any fancy restaurants as she would rather cook at home (and she is a great cook) but i can't seem to think of any place outside of a hotel maid? or a barber? maybe a valet service..I guess i never tipped much except to these people ..sorry..please enlighten me...i feel like a hick..lol
@smacksman (6074)
Tips are fine in situations where it is traditional to tip and in those situations tips are considered part of their income. The only time tipping gets up my nose is when it is included automatically on the bill as 10% or whatever and THEN you are expected to tip the waitress on top of that. I prefer the 'tips into a pool' method so that the chef and kitchen staff get a 'tip' as well.
In my opinion tiping is earned and should not be expected. I do not tip a certain percent. I tip per what I think the person has earned. I do not like to go to a coffee house or some place where someone stands at a counter and hands you food or drinks and then there is a tip jar. I do not tip some one who does not sever you either. There are places that you go and serve yourselves and the person cleaning the table expects you to tip them and tip them 15% in my opinion I think not. I will leave somthing if I see you are working hard and doing a good job, but you are standing around and not working I will not leave a tip. I will not leave a tip for a waitress who is standing around and not giving good service either. If the restaurant is really busy and the staff is busting their butt, I will be patient and give a good tip but not if I have to wait while the staff is goofing off.
@Willowlady (10666)
Tips are a good way for folks that make less than minimum wage to add on to their take home. One summer I used tips for gas money to get to and from work. That sure helped while I struggled to get back on my feet. It is incentive for the worker to do better. Never understood people that don't want their employees to be well paid.