Would you have filed a police report?

My daughter rides her bike to and from her summer job. She is 17 and responsible. She wears a bike helmet and follows the rules of the road. She doesn't ride against traffic, crosses at lights and intersections, the whole nine yards. She treats her bike as her primary mode of transportation, just as others treat their car (she isn't interested in a driver's license yet, even though we offered). Yesterday, she arrived home and told me she'd just been hit. My stomach dropped to my feet! I could tell she wasn't seriously injured but here's what happened. She was stopped at a light, waiting to make a left turn onto one of our town's main streets (she needs to go this way to move from one residential neighborhood across to another). She waited for the light to change and the pedestrian crossing signal light was also on. She began to cross the street and make her turn, as did the car that was beside her. The driver of the car either didn't see her or made too wide of a turn because he clipped the front of her bike, knocking her to the ground. She got up right away and moved to the side of the road. The driver never stopped to see if she was ok and no other drivers or pedestrians came to her aid. She got back on her bike and came home. Granted, her only injury was a sore behind from landing on the street. Her bike didn't sustain any apparent damage. She couldn't tell us anything more about the car other than the fact that the driver was an elderly man and the car was blue. She didn't know make or model and certainly never saw a plate. She felt it was pointless to make a police report because she couldn't give them enough information to go on. So, we let it go. This morning, I can't help but think maybe we were wrong. Whether she was hurt in a minor (or thanks heavens not) major way, the driver still hit her and left, never stopping to see if she was even ok. Not to mention she got dumped in the middle of a major intersection where there's quite a bit of traffic, even in our suburb. She had to get up and get out of the way as fast as she could. Would it have served any purpose to file a police report or would she have to have sustained more serious injury before doing so? I'm thinking, at the very least, they might gather and use such information to flag areas that could represent danger to crossing pedestrians. What would you have done?
@whyaskq (7553)
I am not sure even if a police report is filed, the police would bother about it. However, I do feel it would be wiser to make a police report, more to keep record of the hit-and-run. What you said is really true. If there are too many of such cases, the police might flag the corner as accident area. Perhaps there are other reports as well and the police is monitoring the hit-and-run. The description might be the critical clue the police is waiting for. lol. I watched too much TV to carry the scene here.
LOL! I don't think you've been watching too much tv, whyaskq! ;) I think it's a valuable line of thinking. The corner where this occurred is directly facing our main shopping centre. At the other end of the street (where my daughter's job site is located), there is both an elementary school and a complex of senior citizen's residences. Elderly folks are often seen walking along that street and using that very same crossing to access the mall to shop for groceries and such. It pains me to think of what could happen to one of them -- and they are certainly not in the same condition or as agile as my young daughter. Thanks for giving me more to think about here! Great to hear from you, as always :)
@irisheyes (4375)
I probably would have done exactly what you did. I would not have filed a report because I would have thought there wasn't enough info. Then, I would have thought about it after the fact and wished that I had filed the report because it may have made things better. That's why they say hindsight is 20/20....I'm glad your daughter is okay.
Thanks irisheyes! I always appreciate your responses :) You're exactly right, too... I think a lot of us hesitate to "make waves" about different things and then second-guess ourselves later about what "should" have been appropriate. I think parents generally worry about going to the doctor "for no reason" or calling the school to intervene in something "for no reason".... but, when that good ol' hindsight kicks in, I remember that my kids are my reason :) Thanks for your good wishes -- she still says she's a little sore but she's not one to complain much. Having the weekend off from work is probably all she needs ;)
@sid556 (31018)
I would have filed a report anyway. Even though there was probably not enough info for the police to track him down, they do now have a hit and run report of an elderly man in a blue car. If that same driver does that again and someone gets the plate #, then it could be matched possibly. I would have been so angry! I can't even imagine taking off after hitting someone.
Believe me, I was ripping mad when she told me. I don't understand how someone could knock her down and not know it. She may be 17 but she's about 5'10" tall and definitely looks like an adult, both on and off her bike... certainly, no one could say she was too small of a kid to be noticed. Thanks sid! I appreciate your thoughts on this!