Why is it that some old TV shows are rerun over and over again...

@sbeauty (5871)
...shows like Little House on the Prairie, when other great shows are never shown?
@Jshean20 (14376)
My guess is that they are on over and over again because they are popular shows and people still want to see the reruns. I know my dad is a big fan of Little House on the Prairie...hehe
@sbeauty (5871)
There are some reruns I can watch over and over, like the Andy Griffith reruns, but when Little House on the Prairie is on 4 or 5 times every day, it gets to be a little too much of a good thing, don't you think?
@sbeauty (5871)
@missybal (4493)
I know. The worst part is that they really haven't changed it up on TV land for sometime now and that is the only station my Great Grandmother watches and she has got to be getting sick of the same shows. I personally miss Petticoat Junction.
@sbeauty (5871)
I miss it, too. Why do they show Green Acres over and over but not Petticoat Junction? There are others I enjoyed so much that they never show such as Dear John, Murphy Brown, and Rhoda. They just don't make sitcoms like those old ones any more!
i don't know, i wish i did, some are so bad, i don't know why they even show them. may be its because they cant find anything better to put on, and its cheaper to show reruns.
@sbeauty (5871)
But there are so many reruns that they never show. We're talking 40 years of programming in the vaults, and yet they still show the same shows over and over.
yes i know, i can think of several shows that i would rather see.
@Cortney (3986)
I wish they would put the episodes in the order that they were originally aired too. sometimes, they don't match up and you wonder why they did that.
@sbeauty (5871)
It's really hard for people who haven't seen the shows before to follow along with the plot if the shows aren't run in order. It's almost like the networds don't care what they show as long as they're plugging up all the holes in their schedules.
@gabi1203 (578)
i know what you mean...i have satellite and still the same old shows are on!!
@sbeauty (5871)
It doesn't seem to matter how many channels you get, you still can't find anything to watch. My husband and I used to say that about cable all the time. My husband would flip for endless hours trying to find anything that he hadn't already seen and that he was interested in. We're having better luck now with network channels.
@dalejr38 (2422)
Life Goes On and Ozzie and Harriett
@sbeauty (5871)
I always loved Life Goes On. Now Ozzie and Harriet was a bit on the corny side, but I know we all liked it back when it was first on.
@Asylum (27986)
• Manchester, England
This is a fair point. Little House on the Prairie is definitely an old favourite that keeps being resurrected, along with several others such as The Waltons. As you suggest there are a vast number of old shows or series that be rerun instead. I appreciate the cost factor that causes the TV companies to air old shows but they could still add a greater variety without any extra cost.
@sbeauty (5871)
I think so, too. Besides, they keep raising their prices for consumers, so that extra revenue ought to be used to improve the quality of programming. Instead, the channels are full of the same old reruns and infomercials.
@CrazyP (947)
i know lots of channels do this i hate it i dont like tv becuase of it
@PatriciaL (2082)
Because those shows get lots ratings, which means more money. Plus the networks have contracts with these shows and the actors/actresses that were on it, get residuals from it.
@sbeauty (5871)
You know, for the most part the actors and actresses have already been so overpaid that I don't really care to give them any more. It would be like me being a teacher and having a student make it big someday and having to pay residuals to me for helping him along the way.
@caribe (2465)
Maybe it is because the people that enjoy them still, suffer from memory loss and can't remember that they already saw the show. :o) Hehehe. Honestly, I am not sure. It has something to do with the shows being sydicated. They need at least four seasons worth of shows, if they are going to air these daily. Maybe some didn't have four seasons or were more expensive than what the network wanted to pay for syndicated shows. Read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_syndication and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rerun
@sbeauty (5871)
I suppose that the bottom line is the $$$. However, cable prices continue to rise, while the quality of the programming continues to drop. We haven't had cable for awhile now, and we're finding we don't even miss it. There are plenty of good shows on network channels, and we don't have to pay extra for them.
@Asylum (27986)
• Manchester, England
I can fully understand why they rerun shows from many years ago because it does save a great expense involved in constantly creating new ones. There may be many of us that have seen them before, but there is also a vast audience that were not around at the time so there is a decent chance of resumed popularity. As for the selection of which shows return and which do not, this is no doubt a decision made by the television controllers based purely on their personal opinions of which ones are worthy of a rerun. sadly, many of the people in such situations seem to have very different tastes to the majority of us.
I love Little House. But I think there are so many other shows I'd love to see repeated again, more so then just the same old things every single day. Like I love Nick at Nite, but their variety of shows has gone down hill. I mean I could list so many shows I'd love to see more of or rather see over again(that they just don't seem to repeat anywhere).
@dsunny (999)
maybe because of their popularity...
@dsunny (999)
maybe because of their popularity...
@beckyomg1 (6761)
i know there are so many good old shows that i would like to see re ran but they do the same old same old ones. hmm
yeah... i hate dat too