Two News Choppers Collide in Arizona

@worldwise1 (14887)
Two news choppers that were covering a police chase collided in midair in Arizona killing all four occupants. This is so tragic. It brings to mind thoughts I had recently about reporters covering the war in Iraq-placing their lives on the line. How far should these people be expected to go to get the story? I don't know what would make putting life and limb on the line worth getting the story. Whatever happened to just reading about the story without up-to-the-minute footage?
I heard about this shortly after it happened. I get breaking news alerts from my local news WHAS11 sister station to one of the ones mentioned, which was one of the choppers that went down in the crash. Plus got a call from my brother who lives in Phoenix, Arizona telling me about it. This makes me sad, even though I didn't know who was in those choppers. Although I like up to the minute coverage, I don't like the idea how these reporters and pilots place their lives on the line just to bring people that coverage. Anything can happen up there, but I'm sure they are well of the risks they take each time they go up in the air.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Yes, jeweled, I agree that these stories have to be gotten out, but to risk ones life over the cops chasing someone in a truck seems a very high price to pay.
I live in Arizona, around the same place where this took place. I saw it on the news with my parents and it was so sad! When they interviewed that poor construction worker who was the first one on the scene and who witnessed the collision it was so sad! That guy felt so guilty and so sad that no one survived! I feel so bad for him! But i would probably be the same way if I were in his shoes...very upset that I couldn't save someone in a situation where life can't possibly survive. I hope that guy gets the help he needs to realize he could not have saved anyone, no one could have. And I feel so bad for those mens families! I hope they get a lot of help during this terrible terrible accident!
@Calais (10900)
Oh my goodness.....thats really sad...Horrible actually....I thought that they had to the ok for different fly zones for different aircraft, just to avoid this situation...
I saw that on Channel 7 ABC just a few minutes ago. That was so sad. I feel sorry for the families.
While I will agree it does seem a little risky, we all love to watch the big story, the excitement of the chase. These people serve a purpose and without them some of these criminals might not be caught. On fox news they said, the first chopper to arrive gets the best position and the others have to respect it and stay at a higher altitude. The one chopper pilot was not the regular and not as experienced. There were only 5 choppers that responded to this I dont think that is alot. The one chopper somehow accidentally clipped the tail of the other chopper thereby causing the crash. A horrible accident nothing more, these things happen, it is horribly sad but a risk they all know they make every time they go out. I do have to say I disagree with the fact that the driver they were watching will be chased with manslaughter. The news stations choice to send up choppers to get a better story is not the fault of that driver. Its not like a police officer being killed in the chase, or the person he robbed or car he stole. I dont agree with that part at all