How old is the earth?

@Pose123 (21671)
How many of you really believe that the world is only 6000 years old? Even after reading the Bible many times, and having a father who could quote the Bible like no person I've ever met, I see no reason to believe anything so ridiculous. Don't hide your head in the sand,and even if you believe the Bible teaches that, consider the fact that there could possibly be some mistakes. Then too, read something else for a change,even if it is the daily newspaper. Jesus didn't have a closed mind, in fact the people who did were his biggest enemies.
@flowerchilde (12520)
...it seems to me so many people believe folks who believe the bible are ignorant and don't read or study anything else. I've studied lots of science, history, etc, as has many fellow believers. Are you aware, for instance that there are 70+ ways of dating the earth which fall far short of the millions, now billions, soon trillions of years needed for evolution to even remotely occur. So many assume bible folks are brainwashed, all while they themselves are quoting all they've been told by modern life's philosophers and teachers, wild claims are made as to it's facts and proven state which is simply not accurate. This 'modern' belief is far from proven. Facts require observation and first hand experience.. And where did the dna code/program in all living things come from? It takes a lot of faith to believe such intricate programming (and the highly active networking of a single cell) came from nothing.. or that nothing exploded and became everything.. especially as leading mathematicians have declared the chances of the first (113) amino acids (not just two or three) coming together to form life, simply according to the immense and cumbersome odds, could never happen, not even in a trillion years.. Yet everyone clings to this highly outdated theory/assumption.. However all this teaching doesn't include the many (many) problems and questions with the current popular theory/assumption. But over and over ya hear how it's irrefutable fact. Such as how bacteria evolves. Oh? Antibiotic kills the nonresistant, and the resistant multiple. This is natural selection of **traits already present** not the *evolution of new traits*. A tree type in long drought will survive if it can grow deeper rtoots. It can grow deeper roots only if it is in their dna code. But most so called enlightened, educated folks aren't even aware of these subtle elementary differences. Why is it breeders can breed dogs and wolves.. all from the wolf "kind" or species.. and make new dog/wolf species. If evolution theory was true, we would also be able to breed dog/cats. - Show me a jetliner which evolved with no intelligence designing it, and I'll believe birds, much more efficient by the way, evolved on tHeir own! ..all the best!:)
@theprogamer (10543)
Good observation and good read. Though no answer to the question of how old earth is. Not trying to nitpick because you did give multiple good responses in this thread.
@luzamper (1360)
We find nowhere in the 6 days of creation that God created the earth. In the third day, what was done was that God assembled the waters below the firmanent to make the dry appear, the waters is called sea while the dry is called earth.
@Pose123 (21671)
Hi luzamper, Thank you for responding. Blessings.
@witmuch (184)
i believe that earth is older....the bible says that one day in Heaven is like one thousand years in our time. so i think that earth is at the least 12,000 years old. but i think that there are better explanations than mine--lol good topic! Witmuch
@Pose123 (21671)
Hi witmuch, Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated. Blessings.
@theprogamer (10543)
While I have a slightly different take on evolution since I know about the cyanobacteria, eurokyotes, the earliest symbiosis, the earliest autotrophs, etc. On to topic though. The Earth is supposedly 4.5 billion years old, near the age of the Sol System itself. There could be a perception of faith or some sort of design especially since a lot of the information about past era, eons and epochs are based on light observations and theories, without solid proof. And to those that say "OMG SCIENTISTS!!!" please calm down, I say people can believe whatever. Also, if the Earth and Sol System aren't billions of years old, explain the slow going on present day Earth, the solar system and surrounding stars/planets. Explain Jupiter, Venus and Saturn trapping in gases from the protoplanetary disc or pre-solar nebula and the resultant thermalfusion nova of the sun. There is also carbon dating, fossils, ice cores, crust extractions, seabed extractions, soil analysis, crater impacts. There's no denying these things exist and the theories that form from this evidence isn't that unbelievable (of course it all depends on the specific subject and people's beliefs).
@theprogamer (10543)
^I dub that post EPIC. (That means I like it a lot) I'm more of a free belief and choice kind of guy, but when evidence is around I can't ignore that either. Keep up the good work Rosie.
@Pose123 (21671)
Hi progamer, Thanks for this, I didn't take time to check this out before writing, but figured it had to be in the billions of years. I know it's believed that man has lived here for several million years. Blessings.
@rosie_123 (6118)
Wow - I had absolutely no idea that some people believed that! I am horrified! What about all he Ancient Wonders of the world? And what about the scientific tests that have been done on relics and fossils, and things tat have been carbon-dated to millions of years? May I ask who teaches such stuff? And why? And why do some people think the world is only 6,000 years old but was made to appear older Why should anyone/anything want to make it look older? What would be the point? I am confused!
@Pose123 (21671)
Some people believe that the Bible teaches it. I am not one of them. As to why anyone/anything would want to make it look older,I'm as confused as you are. Why create confusion? Thanks rosie.
@RosieS57 (892)
Flying squirrels can't become birds. Birds are birds and squirrels are mammals. Birds developed long before mammals did and species don't de-evolve...they go extinct. That's what happens to the models that don't work out. They die off on their own or a catastrophe wipes many species out all at once. It's called punctuated equilibrium. Much of the rest of this shows major problems, as well, in that what scientists supposedly say about evolution isn't what they actually say. But it sure is typical of creationist arguments. Some of creation science is flat out funny in a DC or Marvel Comics sort of way. When you got little hairy cavemen running around trying to avoid being squished by big old dinosaur 'hooves', that kind of distortion is hilarious, actually. Especially when they want you to believe that in all seriousness!
Earth is only 6000 years old
@Pose123 (21671)
Thanks,You appear to think the matter is settled, well for you I guess it is.
@theprogamer (10543)
Proof?
@suspenseful (40326)
Well you have already made up your mind so there is no point telling you anything different. It is you who have a closed mind. The Bible says that the Earth was created to look old, to give the appearance of age. Also Adam was created as an adult male, not first as a small infant. That should tell you something. There was also the Deluge that wiped all life except for that in the ark and the flora and some sea life. So anyone can think that it was a longer period of time than the thousand or two years recorded. God makes no mistakes, and the men who recorded how many years since creation, went backwards from the time of the New Testament, calculating the generations until they reached Adam. They had to. They were churchmen. Besides consider this, if the Earth was considerably older than 6000 years, would it not be more crowded and more eroded? It might be off by a few years, perhaps it could be 6240 years or 5998 years, but that would be all.
@Pose123 (21671)
Thanks for your comment, but I stand by my post. Did you ever think what your beliefs might be, if you had been born in another part of the world, and in a different religious tradition?
@suspenseful (40326)
If the World was very old, we would have been on the other planets by now, because even with national disasters, the population would have been increased. I stand by my facts and if I were brought up in a different tradition --I was brought up in the United Church which is very liberal and does believe that 1 day could have meant one thousand. So I did reject the liberal tradition of my fathers and by saying that people brought up in a different tradition will always believe what they are taught is saying, "well we cannot preach Christ to Indians, to Africans, to Muslims" that if one is born in India, China, Nigeria, Tibet, or what ever, he must obey the religion of that land and cannot convert to any other, esp. to being a Christian.
@flowerchilde (12520)
I'm given to lots of study and prayer and contemplation.. and though I believe there is truth in many things.. one of the biggest errors there is is the wisdom of man! especially when it comes to science and origins.. Actually there are only a handful of ways of dating the earth which suggests the billions of years needed for 'evolution' but there are many (70+ last I knew) ways of dating the earth which suggest a much younger earth and universe, some agreeing quite close with the bible.. Just cause people say something's so, doesn't make it true.. - Atheistic science is just another belief, and folks are quite dogmatic about (and have been quite brainwashed.. but it doesn't stand up. science doesn't support it. A big bang? surely, with creation in one day, that's lots of elements moving pretty quickly.. but for there to be nothing, and then for it to explode into everything there.. including some strange coincidence resulting in life.. well, talke about your adult fairy tales! Besides it takes 1300 amino acids to line up just perfectly, in order for life to occur, not just two. I could go on and on, as I've studied and researched this a lot, and love science.. As in what's the 2nd most held law of science? And believe me, the evolutionists answers make no sense.. and then there's things like the flying squirrel became the bird? Come now! Ever seen the the intricacy of a bird's frame.. or an airplane for that matter? And what did the squirrel do all those centuries he was no longer efficient as a squirrel but not yet as a bird? How'd he survive? and where's his fossils? or the fossils of any of these mythical half and half creatures.. puhlease... Just goes to prove, if you control the education of folks.. well, what's to be expected. www.inner-monastery.com/evolution.html
@Pose123 (21671)
I agree that atheistic science is just another belief. Science can prove many things, but certainly not everything. I agree too, on controlling the education of folks- what can we expect indeed? Most children are brainwashed from day one.
@carmelanirel (21108)
According to Dakes the earth is much older, but that doesn't mean the Bible is wrong, just the interpretation of it. Now Adam was created 6,000 years ago, but the earth was already aged by then and when I can get to where I can copy and paste, I can post some awesome studies this guy did to disprove the 6,000 year old earth..
@Pose123 (21671)
Thanks for commenting carmelanirel, I agree it's the interpretation. Hope you can do those posts.
I don't think the text teaches me to believe that the earth is 6000 years old. If the text teaches me that I would go for it, but the text simply does not teach me that. At the same time I also think the current scientific finding says that the earth is old, at least older than 6000 years old.
@Pose123 (21671)
Thanks for your comment. I agree we must consider current scientific findings, and those show the earth to be many millions of years old.