The true meaning of family.

So I guess everyone has what they believe is the meaning of family. And I'm going to tell you all what I think it means and then you can all respond. I have a family I am a mother of 5 kids married and happy with that. And then there is my outside family my mother (who lives in Ca) my big sister who lives about 20 minutes away )but I still on see her on holidays). And I am OK with that wish we were all closer but oh well. Then I have a whole nother type of family. A family who I grew up with and became apart of the family very quickly. And then lost contact with them until recently. And boy am I glad to have them back in my life. They concest of 2 little sisters and a little brother. I love them all very much and have been so greatfull to have them back in not only my life but my kids as well. We all do so much for eachother and I personally love do it. I love them all so much and am very glad to have them and a few nieces and nephews back in my life. So please tell me to you is this normal to basically adopt a new family? Do you have a family story you might want to share with everyone else?
@squaretile (3835)
wow you have 5 kids - that's already a family of 7! what a warm noisy atmosphere you must have at home. how old do your kids range from? it's great that you found the family that you were close to as a child. I've had families 'adopt' me when i visited them and we've managed to keep in touch through the years. it's really nice to know that whereever you go, those in the family of Christ are immediately family cos there's a special bond too!
My kids are 10.9.7.5.3 And yes we are all very loved.
@KrisNY (7609)
I do not think it is odd- so they aren’t really blood relatives to you? So what- They say you cannot pick your family- but I think you can pick people who you treat like family. Sometimes life works out that way- when you are closer to other people than your own family- I have a huge family- only 1 brother but many cousins- I’m close to many of them and we treat each other like brothers and sister- So it’s all good! Family is what you make it!
I like that family is what you make it.
@KarenO52 (2952)
When I got married 35 years ago, I left my family and moved 400 miles away to my husband's home town with him, and got a whole new family. My new in-laws came from large families that like to have a lot of parties, so I got to know them pretty fast. I still went back to my hometown several times a year. Now I've had 3 children of my own, and a nephew I raised. They are all grown, and my nephew is expecting his first child in October. In addition to that, I'm so close with some friends here, that I might as well be family. We share happy times as well as sad times, and are always there for each other.
I think that is great. And good luck with the baby.
You are really a good samaritan. Doing a good turn to our neighbors is great. I love to help less privileged families too but in a limited way only. "Charity begins at home." Whatever examples we set for our children will be carried by them.
You are right about that and I couldnt agree more.
@BlackBay (584)
We all need someone in our life to love, give and recieve support from, friendship, etc. If you can not have that with a family born to you then there is nothing wrong with finding people with common values as yourself and being part of their lives. I think people who are only children or orphaned have friends that they call Family. I think the deffinition of Family has changed in todays Society to the people in your life that you love and cherish, to me thats Family.
I completely agree.
@butterfly39 (3907)
For me a family is composed of a father, a mother and children living together in house and make it a home sweet home with love and God of course in the midst of us...
I agree but it can be so much more.