My dog has gone blind.

@mamasan34 (6521)
Hi guys! I have bad news about Miko my Shiba Inu. He has cataracts in both of his eyes and he has gone completely blind in both of them. Is there anyone out there that knows of anyone who has a blind pet? Is their quality of life changed in anyway? It breaks my heart to see him bumping into the walls and furniture. He was also diagnosed with severe arthritis in his hips, and he also has diabetes.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I am so sorry to hear about your little Miko going blind in both eyes mamasan. The only assurance I can give you is that I once had a toy poodle who got cataracts in both eyes in her later years. After a while, she gradually learnt to make her way round the furniture, etc., and seemed to know where the walls were so she didn't bump into them any more. Familiarity is the key. If Miko knows his way round your house, he will gradually work things out for himself. He will be ok, don't worry - they adapt better than humans!
@mamasan34 (6521)
I am starting to learn how adaptable he has become! He is doing pretty well. I think it hurts me more than it does him hahaha! Thanks for the comment and words of comfort!
I am sorry to hear this I have a dog that has cataracts but it has only developed in one way and he is still very young. We had a cat when I was younger that was born with no eyes due to some sort of infection well she went one to live a very good life we barely treated her any different than are other animals it took her a little while to get used to things but she did you just cant change things around suddenly you have to move things very slowly in order for her to get used to it. It will take some time but they get used to it after awhile.
@mamasan34 (6521)
Thanks for that. I am sure that he will be fine and he seems to be adjusting. We make sure there is nothing to block his way or to confuse him. We don't change the furniture around to make sure he doesn't get confused. It has to be frustrating! Thanks for the comment!
@superchook (1786)
When I was growing up we had a dog that had diabetes and she eventually went blind to. She was still able to lead a normal life in most ways, she got used to where things were just like blind people do. The only thing we had to do was if we took her for a walk we had to put a lead on her, she never used to need one because she always did what she was told.
@mamasan34 (6521)
With my dog, I always put him on a lead when he goes for a walk blind or not. His breed is famous for running off and playing games like catch me if you can. An hour later your still trying to find the bugger! He is doing ok, I am just more concerned with his other ailments. He is adjusting to the blindness and I think it hurts me more than him. Thanks for the comment!
Yes it probably does hurt your more than him, it is so hard to watch your animals to be so sick and have so many problems. If your like me, he is probably just like a child to you. I call all my animals my babies and that includes my chickens. I just can't stand to see any of my animals sick.
@mamasan34 (6521)
Me either. It hurts me to see him that way. He has started urinating in the house and this is not his way. he is very well behaved when it comes to potty training. It is always in the same spot. So, I guess it is off to the vet I go again next week. I have to wait until my husband gets paid for another visit. I am totally tapped out from the last time I took him! I just hope he is ok. Thanks for your thoughts.
@gabs8513 (48716)
Awwwwwwwww Sweetie I am so sorry That is terrible oh the poor thing and it will take him a while to get used to it as well I bet it hurts you to see that Oh I do not know what to say to this I really don't it is so sad I am sending you a big Hug and a big Hug to Miko to the poor baby
@mamasan34 (6521)
Thanks gabs! I really appreciate your thoughts and concern. We are just hanging in there! He isn't doing so bad, we still play tug of war, but he can't play catch anymore. Other than that we just have to be careful when he goes up and down the stairs. He comes upstairs to sleep in our rooms but we make sure he gets carried down and when we are gone he just snoozes on his cushion and we put up the kiddie gate for him so he can't go upstairs. Other than that, he is still the same ole Miko! thanks again!
@gabs8513 (48716)
Well I hope that he will be ok
@natrlvr2 (384)
My landlord had a blind dog for awhile.The dog did real well inside the house once he got to know his surroundings(he lived in a different house after he went blind,lived with another family).They even could let him outside at the farm but they had to make sure he was following them.The thing is,the dog needed watching,even in the house.Things could not be put in his way. The dog needed much more extra attention as you can't just leave the dog sit in one room(not that you do)you need to play with it more.Once the dog is in too much pain from the arthritis or whatever,it is time to let him go. Or when the dog seems to be sad. Animals do get depressed.They also do not get mad at you for putting them to sleep. ((HUGE HUGS))
@mamasan34 (6521)
Thanks for the words of support! I have noticed that he is depressed, so I make sure he knows we are there and we always hug him and talk to him. He does require more attention, but we have been living in the same place for quite some time and he is pretty adjusted. He still bumps into things and has a hard time sometimes, but he is adjusting. I fear for his arthritis because he is on anti-inflammatories and pain relievers. I just don't want him to suffer. I think that is selfish and inhumane. Well, thanks for the words of support and comment!