Why do politicians "throw mud at each other" in order to advance

Why is that politicians use the faults of their oponents in an attempt to win your vote.. I get so turned off by all the mud slinging, name calling..prior to elections and afterwards. Why can't we all get along!
isn't it just how politics work? here, they say showbusiness and politics are the same.. they're like stars, they need some packaging, a public image, need publicity for exposure, and they will ride on every issue and every chance they have
@luzamper (1360)
We really seldom see people entering politics who do not do these and that's one reason why we say "dirty politics" but definitely people can't all get along with each other. There will always be the good and the bad and it's up to us to distinguish the good from the bad and to choose whatever we want.
I hear you. It makes it very hard for me to want to vote because of this. It would be much more helpful to just hear the facts.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I think they do that to discredit their opponent and make themselves look better. (Personally, I think it makes them look worse!) I blame this trend of nitpicking and dirty politics on why so many people don't like watching political debates and everything. Sometimes it seems like they have more input into mud slinging their opponents than with the issues at hand that need discussion and resolution! Why can't we all get along? I think it's because they are so wanting the political position that they will do anything to discredit their opponent in any way they can that they don't care to try and get along. (IE: for them, getting along won't produce the end result they're looking for) It's truly a shame as it says a lot about our society, and their drive to get ahead while sacrificing good manners and propriety.