Do you ever agree with your spouse's ideas, even if they are really silly?

My husband loves to look at business opportunities and franchises. And, he loves talking about the possibility of investing into them even more! Over the years, I've learned to subtly tune him out, so that I don't get really involved. While this might seem kind of insensitive, you wouldn't think so if you knew him. Most months he comes up with five or six businesses that he likes. And, if I make the mistake of getting too involved, he just moves on to something else. And, there I am still stuck on some idea that he has no intention of investing money into! So, these days, I politely nod my head, listen to his ideas and say that it sounds interesting. He seems happy with my marginal involvement and goes back to what he was doing before. And, wouldn't you know it, before the week is up, he's located yet another fantastic business plan that he is sure will set us free from our financial shackles. Needless to say, I think the man just likes to window shop when it comes to investments. That's where all the fun is anyway. So, how do you deal with your spouse when he or she brings up ideas that you know are not going to work? Do you disagree with them openly? Or, do you play along and pretend that you like the ideas until they get bored with them and move onto something new?
@KrisNY (7591)
lol…. Sounds like me- I’m the one in our relationship- that finds things interesting- and say we should try this- and then move on when I get my wits again- My sig. other laughs most times- until I get serious and say- It’s not funny- I’m serious- lol… I think he humors me most of the times- And I haven’t lost us any money yet- but haven’t gained us much either! : )
Mine really tries to give me the benefit of the doubt on my various ideas, so I do the same for him. Well, that is, unless I know it's one of those things that will cost us lots of money and would risk our life savings. But, then again, he does have really good ideas... depending on what day it is!
@maddysmommy (16233)
I usually hear him out and let him talk on about his new venture. I let him research it and give me more information and sometimes I read it and sometimes I don't. Sooner or later that idea fades and he finds another one, pretty much what your husband does. Some things have worked out though after he has researched it enough first.
@carlaabt (3505)
I just tell my husband "if that's what you think it sounds okay to me." He's not really one to come up with big ideas that won't work, though. Usually I use that line in regard to some new home improvement that he wants to do to our house. Or something new that he wants to do to his truck. Usually he does go ahead and do whatever it is, and if I question him about it later, he says something along the lines of "We already discussed this, remember?" So I just say, oh yeah, I forgot. It usually works. He goes ahead and does whatever he wants to do, that I'm not interested in, and I just ooh and ahh over the final product and everyone is happy.