How important is it to save a few bucks on groceries?

Since our car is not working as well as it should, we are having to shop really close to home. It would be very expensive if our car broke down at the Super Center ten miles down the road and we had to have it towed back home. Not the best idea just to save a few bucks on groceries. So, we are stuck paying $4.19 per gallon for milk and paying almost double for a pack of quality hot dogs. But, what choice do we have. Go too far and breakdown or spend a little extra and save our car? It's been tough to say the least. For us, the decision is simple. Until we get our car fixed, we aren't going to take it out onto the highway. But, even before we didn't really have a choice in shopping venues, we often made the choice to shop at more expensive stores for the convenience factor. Have you ever found yourself doing that too? Do you shop at a higher priced convenience store just to save time or do you drive the extra miles (and spend the gas money) to commute to a place that has better prices? Do you think convenience is worth paying more for?
@Thoroughrob (11771)
I usually will commute to the store with the better prices. If my car is not working right, I would also only go as far as I had to, but if it does work right, I will go and save the money. I make sure that it is worth the trip and go for alot. I will not go for 1 or 2 items, that is just not logical.
I don't shop at the regular grocery stores in my town. They don't even try to be competitive with each other, so they all end up with astronomically high prices. I only shop at Sam's Club and Walmart. Luckily they are within 2 or 3 miles of my home. All of the stores are actually. :o)
We have Walmart too. And, now that we have another car we'll have to start shopping there again. I thought we'd go broke shopping at the convenience stores. But, funny thing is, their milk cost just the same as our local Albertsons grocery store. I think our grocery stores are like yours, they don't even bother competeting on prices.
Our convience stores milk is cheaper! WInco is the cheapest followed by Walmart then Fred Meyers and the most expensive being Albertsons. I only stop there if I have too.
Money is real important in life save it properly. I never paid any importance while shopping now i have realized my mistakes how much money i have wasted and where i have wasted.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I sometimes don't have a choice. I don't drive anymore due to some medical problems that I have. I am sort of scared to anymore. So I have to take rides when I can get them and go shopping whenever and whereever I can.
@KrisNY (7609)
Well I plan my shopping so that I don’t need to go to the Convenience stores- I shop on my lunch hour- when I am already in town- or on a Sunday and do it all together- I think saving money on groceries is very important- Sure I find us out of milk from time to time- but it my case- the grocery store (discount) is only 1 mile farther than the convenience store-
@maddysmommy (16243)
We usually shop at the same grocery store if we can get to it. It usually has discounts and or specials so I always go for those products even if it is to save just a couple of dollars. The only time I go for other stores is because I cannot get to the usual grocery store we shop at.
@happymommy3 (2014)
Most of the time it is very important for my family to save a few bucks on groceries. For some, even like myself, every saved dollar is an extra dollar that can be used for something else or put away in the savings account for an emergency like a broken down car that can be fixed because we had that money saved and put away. These last couple months we have had the worst times because of stuff happening to our cars, one right after the other. We have 2 cars, my husband takes one to work and the other I use for running errands, taking the kids to school, or appts, etc. So my car, we're not able to use at the moment because of just maintenance stuff we need to do on it, brakes, fix a broken front light, and a couple of other things but we haven't been able to fix it because my husband's car, first the ac went out on it, than after we fixed that the brake lights stopped working! So, we finally fixed that, so we've been on a very tight budget, due to all that stuff going on. Our refridgerator broke down on us also last month, just one day stopped working and we were so broke we bought one from someone for 50.00 and the darn thing didn't even get cold enough our food rotted. So thank God when we least expected it one of our family members blessed us with one that works just like a new one. So you better believe it's important for us to save every dollar on food, lol. We live about 5 minutes away from wal-mart which is our main grocery store, so we're not wasting too much gas right there, the other grocery store is about 15 minutes away, so thank goodness we don't have to waste gas and do get to save money at the same time.
@myfanwy65 (1030)
To me it is important to save pennies whenever I can. Pennies add up to dollars and dollars add up to... well... more dollars. So, I save everywhere I can. If it's groceries or gasoline. I do what I can to save.
@Lindalinda (4116)
I don't have a car any more (by choice) but I am very lucky I live within a good walking distance of a No Frills grocery store. Their prices are really good and I check the sales and plan my meals around whatever produce and meat is on special. I take my little trolley along so I don't have to carry the bags. This store as the name implies has only very basic things. So, if company is coming I take public transportation to a more well stocked supermarket to get special foods. The prices for everything are so much higher, I could not not shop there all the time. Sometimes I take the bus to a local farmer's market, sometimes a friend of mine goes to a huge chinese market where all the produce is so reasonable. I go with her some times and stock up on produce that keeps for a few weeks, such as carrots, squashes, potatoes, melons, cantaloupes and cauliflower. I guess we all have to do the best with what we have.
@DanaMark (807)
Once in a while I'll stop at a convenience store. After all, that's what the "convenience" means, right? But unfortunately we pay extra for that convenience. Usually we go to our neighborhood grocery store which is less than two miles away. They even have a Senior day on Wednesdays for extra savings. As they say, every penny helps!
@nana1944 (1367)
I have to drive over 30 miles to buy grceries so ten miles sounds good to me. I live in a town of 14 people and the only store is a shop that carries antiques and some frozen sandwiches, soda pop and stuff like that. Their prices for those are reasonable..cheap even. I am glad to have that. But I buy in bulk as does my daughter and granddaughter who also live in my town. Belvidere, Kansas. We have 3 of the only 5 houses in town. One vacant house but the woman whose owns it isin assisted living. We are an old ranching community and most of us have known each other for well over 30 years and some of us longer than that. We help each other and care for each other and all but one family had lived in Greensburg, Kansas which was the town that was 95% blown away by a tornado the 4th of May this year. In fact I still owned a house there that I had moved out of 2 months before the tornado. My daughter lost stuff that was in a house that she and her family had moved out of the same time I moved. Our landlord was the owner of the house she had lived in. I have known him longer than I have known his wife. We have known each other since teenage years. His wife I had worked with at a truckstop years ago in a town 16 mile from here. Is there a friend you can maybe pay a little for gas to and ride with and buy your food in quantity. It seems to me that as much as you are paying for food you would be better off just having your car fixed. What kind of car do you have and how is it acting up? Maybe I can give you some pointers especially if it is an older one. Or maybe my son-in-law could. Is there someone you know who would help you by working on your car and then you could do some things they need help with?
@lingli_78 (12852)
i usually not willing to shop at a convenience store as i know that they over-charge us on the items... i usually go to a large grocery store like coles or safeway here in australia where the price is pretty reasonable... i also go to asian groceries or fruits and vegetables market where the price is also reasonable... i always try to save every single penny as much as i can as i know it will add up into a large significant savings in the long run...
@kelly60 (4550)
Unless it is just one or two items, I will almost always drive a little further to save money on my groceries. In most cases it is worth the difference in the price of gas to shop a little further away. I might pick up one or two items closer to home if I wouldn't save the cost of my gas to drive further away though. It wouldn't be worth it though if I were worried about being stranded somewhere because of a broken down car.
We are in a similar situation, kind of. We live in a small town (less than 1,000) and it's a 50 minute drive to a super center. I do and always have done all our shopping in town as far as groceries go. We also get meat from my BIL. People think I'm nuts for buying most of our groceries in town. I also have to kids ages 5 and 2 and I have to take them with me when I go on a trip like that normally. If I'm going to buy groceries and only go once or twice a month, then they can't really go, or I know I would lose it! #2 Time! And I guess ya'll can debate about the money. Yes I could get more for my money out of town. But I want our grocery store to stick around for many more years to come. And if we all shop out of town, that's not going to happen. So I'm very happy with what I'm doing. I guess you have to decide what's more important for you. Everyone has that choice.
@Calais (10905)
I think tthat it can be important at times, and its always great to save some money whereever you can..It will come in handy one day when its needed..
@TerryZ (22146)
I tend to shop at the most resonable place. But luckily for us its not to far either. Im always trying to save anyway I can.LOL
@wachit14 (3601)
It's important to me to save money so I shop in two separate stores. I go to Target for non-perishable items and I go to Stop n Shop for the rest of the items. As a result I save quite a few dollars a week and both stores are within a few miles of my home so I'm not spending more on gas. I have shopped closer just for convenience, but not often. I only go there if it's in a pinch. I try to stock up on as many things as possible so I don't have to run out every other day.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I can not drive so going further to save some money shopping in a different grocery store is not really an option for me. We did have a store that was very close and had really good prices but they have shut down. We now have to go a bit further where the prices are not as great but the selection is so much better. Most things go on sale at least once a month and therefore making an extra trip may be a pain I do get the food I want at a price I am willing to pay.