Corruption causes national poverty

Poverty - african people
I feel so sad whenever I read or watch reports about depressed areas in my country. The sites of very poor people living on mountains that eat almost only once a day, the lack of hospital equipments, public medicines, school facilities and many others would always prickle my heart. And then, there are TV programs where I could see so many government officials living in luxury, so many failed government projects that wasted billions of money, misuse and abuse of national fund. Tsk, tsk! I feel so upset. If these officials would only care more for the welfare of the nation and care less for their own welfare, there will be less unfortunate people in the world.
I agree the fat cats on the top need to learn who to use our tax money better. Here in the USA we just had a bridge in Minnesota calapse killing at lest 8 people, the bridge was deemed unsafe but instead of using the money for the bridge the city officials built a new baseball park. Oh figure, 8 people and maybe more have paid for that ball park with their lives.
That was something very frustrating isnt? Anyway, lets hope they will still do something about the bridge.
@subathra (3519)
You have posted a very nice discussion which is based on current issues in your country.Even here in my countrY India ,this similar corruption ruins the economy and forces people to live in poverty. In our country corruption is the word suits to most politicians who live a luxorious life in peoples money.They dont care about welfare of people or society and are living a selfish life.When i see people starving for food, water and other essential needs of life..i feel very bad.Being a heavely populated country..reaching so much fames in technology, education and other aspects..this poverty is one important factor which needs to be swiped off from my country to take our nation to developed countries list.
That was really heart tearing. I have high respect for Indians because I have many Indian friends.
Very much True. Corruption is that bug that is eating every society and nation. as long as it's there it's not possible for a nation or society to stand on its feet. It makes rich people more rich and poor more poor. It's not the only outcome of it. It is the mother of all the other evils.
That was absolutely true. I believe that greediness for money and power is truly the root of all evil in the world.
@cefaz_21 (2597)
I was once taught by my former teacher that corruption is not only on politicians but it's everywhere,even in private offices and sometimes even us ordinary people do corruption,he cited one example, if we are working on acertain office and we use supplies there for our personal then we are corrupting, he says even a small as a paperclip.. so you see, it's a major problem not only of politicians but almost everyone of us. It's hard to eliminate corruption unless there is a change of heart.
Yeah and in fact, even in churches. It was indeed a major problem and until now it remained unsolved.
Yes, that's true. As a citizen I also feel the same. It is really sad to have corruption in such a big country like India. And it's desease spread all across the world. It reduces the efficiency in different public departments and reduce the productivity. At the end, we have our resources get wasted the public money get centralised in few greedy hands.
That was really frustrating. I could relate to how you feel about the situation.
It's true that corruption is one real cause why many of our countrymen are suffering. It's also actually because of their greed for money that makes them corrupt. ALso greed for power. There few good men and women in government that are really trying to do their job but more often than not, most do become corrupt. Partly because there are people who would pay a large amount just to earn a government favor. And who are benefiting from it? THE SO CALLLED POLITICIANS!They're futile. But the people voted for them. It's more like we are the ones who are serving them instead of them serving the people. It's a good thing that there are many NGO's that are helping our less fortunate brothers and sisters. But, if its only the NGO's who are working, well it only shows that our politicians are doing nothing.
I had worked in a City Hall before. It was disgusting. The few people who are working with dedication fall little by little to the trap too. Its like a spirit. A contagious one. I finally resigned and applied for another job for fear that I might join their club one day.
@zandi458 (27952)
corruption is a nation disease which is difficult to eradicate. It caused a lot of hardship to layman as well as businessmen. If only there is no corruption in this world I think people will not be so hard up. Most countries have anti corruption agencies but nothing much has been done to wipe out this disease. The only way to stop all these corruption is to arrest the giver and the receiver.
I agree with that 100%
@dbhattji (2507)
Yes, honesty encourages honesty and corruption encourages corruption, if we know that tax money is going to be stolen by corrupt ministers then people will not pay their taxes and this will prevent country from developing.
@williamjisir (22904)
We have the same feeling. I think it is true that we will have much fewer people living in poverty if the government pay more attention to the welfare of its people and do more things to improve the quality of the people. Thanks for your being kind-hearted and caring, friend.
You are from Phillipines where the condition I believe is the same as in india. But india is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. you wont believe the range and reach of corruption! Starting from traffic police openly taking bribes from reckless drivers to touts in hospitals who will 'arrange' for a bed for you in exchange of money...its a very depressing situation. but you cant blame them either. i sometime watch the traffic police personnel and feel very sad for them. regularly they are just standing in this heat, dust & pollution. there is no comfort in their work, no rest for them. their pay is not good enough to compensate for the risk to their health. they stoop to taking any amount from drivers to increase their income. the media sometimes catches them in the act and a great furore is created. but nobody does anything to improve their conditions. the cliched response from the govt is "there is dearth of funds". but you will never see politicians or their families moving around with state-cars or comforts. so much of international aid and charity comes to india, most of it goes to fill the coffers of political parties and their supporters. jobs are difficult to get by and opportunites only for the few who have good english-medium background. yet they see the genex crowd flush with money and spending like there is no tomorrow. the gap between the haves & have-nots is increasing daily. crime and corruption is the only path for the hapless semi-educated middle & lower-middle classes. no political party is brave enough to take tough decisions for national benefit. wherever you go, you will see the ugly stamp of corruption and the acceptance of people. education is purposefully denied to the poor and rural population so that the people remain ignorant and illiterate. Our independence day is coming, but i believe, we have little to celebrate!
That's really sad, we have many things in common as far as corruption is concerned. Crime and violence are high, the perpetrators being damned and jailed, but the police, the media and the government don't really care what their reasons are that they to do such an act. This is happening everywhere, all these tragedies while those on top of the pyramid are having their wildest parties and spending their money to useless things... its just sad
@stella1989 (2274)
This feels very bad..!! In my country this courrouption thing is on its top!!! In know many flats are been alloted to the poor class in my country..!! But 50% of those flats are eaten up by the government emploeeys itself!!! And 30 percent by the munciplalities workers itself..!! and left overs are given to the poor class families!!! We have the same picture with the scenario of water and food also..!! That is very saddening. When we go over this we find rise in the cost of products..! Because some government workers eats up all the money and takes it into there black money account because of that marketers increases the taxes on there products and we face rise in prices..!! And like this we have many results of corruptions!! We can not get good and efficient players in our sports team because they don't have good referals..!! They even can't get good jobs because they don't have good referals. TO get in good schools you need to give good amount of donations first!!! But I don't think I should say this much because until and unless "I AM" doing any thing about this I have no right to say any thing about this. That is why people don't actually have any will to get in to government and lead the country!! Every one want to become engineer, doctor and many more..!! but nobody wants to become a leader who can lead the counrty..!! Well this is the picture of my country.
@madcrowd (79)
The situation of corruption is serious in my country too. The cause of corruption is very complex.It is caused not only for the greed of people but also the lack of supervisal.It is a reflect of human nature and to win the battle against corruption we must pay value costs.Maybe there would always have corruption in the world,but we can control the situation in a acceptable level.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi hersmart4ever! I completely feel the same way as you do. Knowing that we come from the same country, I know what you mean. I have seen so many people living in the streets and so many people who are losing hope while they try to stay sane for their children who are going hungry. And then we see our politicians in their luxury cars, then debating or quarelling in the senate or congress in their expensive suits and the next day, you will read in the newspaper they took a rest abroad from all the stressful politics. Do you think our politicians are genuinely concern on the situation of our poor countrymen? I don't think so. Sad but to be honest with you, I lost confidence in almost all our politicians. Take care and have a nice day.
I agree completely. Corrupt people are parasites. Corruption can either be within the country or related to international transactions. In either case it is working against the interest of the country. Corruption within the country discourage people who are hit by that corruption to move ahead and thus give a loss to the country. Corruption in international transactions rob off money of the country.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Yeah, I agree with you. Corruption is the worse thing a man have ever created among other things. And I sure do hope that someday that will come to an end somehow.
@derek_a (10902)
Yes, it's sad. But it seems that no matter where you look these days, there is some sort of corruption of diversion of funds..
well this is not a new in our country and i does not happen to Philippines alone..it happens to other nation too who's government are corrupt..there will be no way we can get out of this situation anymore i believe..simply because people would not took hold of a responsibility of voting for the right person..people sells votes, didn't they know that if they vote wisely they will be getting more of those few hundreds they are receiving for their votes..people are so ignorant about this and there is no cure for a corrupt government if citizen their selves would not take responsibility..i pity them but its their fault sometimes why they gotten poorer and poorer..i just hope they will stop the mentality they have..
I agree with you about corruption being the cause of national poverty. We have seen it, heard it, read about it almost everywhere and almost every time. Its just sad to see this politicians courting the public with their whatnots during campaigns and betraying them when they are in office. What's more frustrating is that the public never learn, and still making the same mistake... we are trapped in a very destructive cycle. And when these officials are unmasked, their true motives known, then the public will gather again to the streets, cry for reform! cry for justice! oust the devil! The ousted replaced by another one. What could be done? Corruption is a problem, and I think it is spawned by one word almost all of us have. SELFISHNESS... Unless we become selfless, nothing could be done. The hungry will stay hungry. Unless we look outward than to look inward we will never progress. When we always want to be the first in the line, we will not progress. Unless we give rather than receive, we will not progress. Selflessness spawns charity, love, unity, harmony... and PEACE.
@JBrulez (663)
The poverty that is shaping are social structure at this point in time is because of the doings of those who are sitted in luxurious government offices. Corruption definetly contributes to this problem of poverty. The budget that is distributed to local government units for purposes of funding programs to alliviate the messy lives of the poor is not fully utilized. This budget will be partitioned into two it will be for the funding of programs and the other part goes directly to the pockets and bank accounts of these government officials. It is disgusting to see this setup and yet nothing is being done to stop it. I hope karma visits these disloyal officials because they are meant to serve and not to be served.
@lisa2008 (30)
I am very mercy on poor people ,whinch people no money that they should to pay for their life. Corruption have already became the problem of the every country of the world,to appear us knonw, it is to hard solve it,It need long time and govermnent make a big decision. But we can help them as possibl as we can.and care more for the problem of their life.