Injustice even for handicapped people...

@Tatsuya (1149)
My best friend's little brother is handicapped. He has autism really bad, but he can walk and talk a little bit. Wednesday they went to their local fair and her little brother got to ride all the rides multiple times. He doesn't like being constrained, so the bracelet they gave him, he pulled off. My friend just carried it around with her so he could still ride. Well, Thursday, they went back because they had so much fun. They went to the Merry-Go-Round because he really liked that ride. The Carney operating the ride refused to let him on it. He took his hand and did the "crazy" symbol by his head. So her mom went up to the carney and cussed him out. Then she went to his boss, and he laughed about it. My question is this: What the heck is wrong with people now-a-days?! The carnival is supposed to be a place where everyone can have fun, not where one is heckled and made fun of. Especially a handicapped person! What would you have done in this situation? I know that I would've demanded my money back at the least.
@lucy02 (5017)
If I were her I would make sure that I told everyone I could about that carnival. Even write a letter to the paper and maybe the papers in the towns they are headed for. If it cuts into their pocketbooks enough maybe they will treat people better.
That sounds very do able. Good advice.
@lucy02 (5017)
Thank you.
@raijin (10373)
I feel pity to these kinds of people, I believe that they are the one's who's more retard here. People are really less considerable nowadays, that they make funny things to people instead of understanding them. It sure is not fun to laugh with someone who's handicapped, I sure won't because I always put myself on their shoes everytime I see one.
@sid556 (31005)
A fair is a travelling event and hosted by the town. If I were that mom, I would go to the local selectmen...I'd put an article in the paper....anything to bring awareness to the situation. It is bad enough that the worker was abusive but to have the situation laughed at by his boss....well that would have just been it for me. It is wrong and should be exposed.
As a berent of a child that has a disability I can tell you that it hapens a lot and if we go to do articles and that we would never get out of their office. Thats how people are we can never change that I mean every show has a character that is not so bright and we laugh at them because of it but in real life it hurts. I used to defend everything my son did every action every word every sound he made to a point where all I did was saying sorry and oh he has hearing problema or he has autism thats why he said, did that because if I didnt I got all this looks and coments. As he gets older his problems are geting more evident and its just plain painfull to have to go out and face people like that. And than again its none of their problem so if they have an issue they can just say it to my face or I dont care.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I would have done more than demanded my money back!! That just burns me up. I guess because I have a handicapped son. I would have just looked at the man and said we'll see who has the last laugh. I would have walked straight to one of the radio or news men that are always at the functions and I would have given them a real good story to report. If they did not want to do it, I would go to the local newspaper. I would go to the people in charge of the carnival, not the rides and seen what they had to say. They would not have heard the last of me. I will in no way let anyone get away with making fun of special needs kids. They are people too and they have every right to have a good time and be treated with decency as anyone else.
@violeta_va (4834)
my son has autism he does not speak a lot and we get the looks and coments because of this, because of the wrong things he sais (like it's mine instead of I want it) and because of his behavior. As he grows up my heart hurts more and more eac and every day of the treatment we recive. I hate going out because it just makes me feel bad and dipresed.
I am not sure what I would have done, perhaps gone to the state regulators. I do not know how the laws pertain to something like the carnival industry. I work with special education children at school. For a second job I provide residential support to adult mentally handicapped adults. We have a fair trip scheduled in September. It is too bad, I hope that is not the Carney that is coming to Kansas. We have a small carnival that comes to our city every May, and I have never heard of anything like that. Actually a lot of carney workers have their own mental health issues. Unfortunately the world is still full of mean people.