Can you conquer a picky eater?

@rowantree (1190)
HELP! My son, age 6, is a picky eater. Let me rephrase that. My son, age 6, is a picky LUNCH eater. Lunch can only be chicken/chicken nuggets, pasta (with and without sauce), and macaroni and cheese. No soup. No sandwiches. Of course, he's entering the big 1st grade. Since the school lunches in our school system really stink, the only other option is to bring his lunch. Mac & cheese every day? I bought deli ham & deli turkey for him to try sandwiches. He disliked both. He would, however, eat the turkey off the sandwich. Last year, he loved PB&J but by the time school ended, he was refusing to eat them any longer and that's where he still stands. My mom made egg salad just for him, but he wouldn't even try it. Does anyone have any ideas? Other than 'this too, shall pass'? roflmao! :)
@creematee (2810)
Hi rowantree! My son was THE pickiest eater on the planet. It took us a long time to get him to eat something other than mac and cheese and ham sandwiches. I just kept feeding him the foods that he needed to eat... not the food that he wanted to eat. eventually, he got hungry enough to try it. Guess what? Some of those foods that he "hated" are top of his request list! Hard boiled eggs were so incredibly hard for him to try. But, he gave in, and now, it's a real treat when I make HB eggs. So, that's my solution. Just keep feeding him a variety. Tell him he can't have anything else unless he tries 3 bites. (we would change this depending on the newness of the food and his intensity for resistance.) Most important, be firm, and don't give in! If he doesn't eat, he goes hungry until the next meal time. We've been doing this for the past 4 or 5 years with my son. (He's now 8) and it gets easier. We still struggle, but not as often, and it's so nice to be able to cook a wider range of foods! A mom can only eat some many hotdogs in a lifetime! :) Best wishes to you and your son. He'll have a blast in first grade! My older daughter will be starting 1st this fall as well!
I am sure this seem to be a big problem to many people, but for me the answear is semple. See I have six children two of them are picky about what they eat. And the othere four will eat about anything I fix for them. So I made it a rule in my house you eat what I fix. That did not go over real well at first. But when the two girls seen that if they did not eat what I fixed they was not getting any thing else to eat. They came around very fast, And started eating what I fixed. So maybe the same rule in your house might help you also. But let me tell you if you try it you have got to stick to it.
@agnescav (566)
Let him eat the school lunches. Then he will appreciate other food and probably want to make his own lunch.