Burying a Saint Joseph statue to sell a house...

Has anyone ever heard of the folk legend about burying a Saint Joseph statue to sell a house? I had heard of this a few years ago, and the other day I was watching a show on HGTV and it had a realtor that planted a Saint Joseph statue in the yard so the house would sell. There are many different placements, but the one they used was placing the plastic statue upside down, facing the road in front of the house for sale. Then when the house sells, you're suppose to remove the statue. I'm not looking to sell my house any time soon, I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, does it work?
Hello gapeach65 :) Are you catholic? I am. This is the first time I've heard about it. I might try. I want to try. My husband and I is into buying and selling residential houses, I think I will try it :) Thanks for this post, take care :)
As a matter of fact I was raised Catholic. I actually heard of it on a home improvement show though.
We did that 4 years ago. We had two houses to sell and we were building another one so we wanted a quick sale. I buried the statue in the front yard of the first house and when that one sold, I dug up and re-buried the statue in the yard of the second house. Both houses were sold and the deals closed in less than 3 months (actual time was 6 weeks or so). I'm not sure if the statue had anything to do with it or not but it was speedy and we did get the asking price for each house. There's also a prayer that goes with the staute and you're supposed to say it everyday.
Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad your houses sold. It's interesting to hear that this might have been the reason. Thanks again.
@jennybianca (12914)
I have never heard of that? Are there are figues to support this? Do msany people try it? I may be selling my house in about two years time, so might try this.
I'm not sure if it works or not. When I looked it up, I was directed to snopes.com and it says it's a legend, however, apparently so many people try it that there are even religious stores that sell kits on how to use the statue. It might not hurt to try it.
@mamasan34 (6521)
I have never heard of that before, but hey, if it works, why not? I have never seen it done before either. Interesting!
@makingpots (11922)
I have heard of praying to the different saints for different reasons. For instance I know that St. Anthony is the saint to pray to for lost items. But burying a plastic statue upside down facing the road, yadda, yadda.... scratching my head over that one. We do plan to put our house on the market in the next year. I guess if we get desparate I might try anything. Haha.
I have never heard of this before. I wouldn't think a statue would make it sell though.
Yes I have definitely heard of this. And i have definitely heard stories about it working. I even think our realtor suggested we try this (jokingly) when it took 6 months for our last house to sell. Hey, it can't hurt!