Romance or Politics?

It was suggested on a newscast this morning that there could be more than just a wee bit of politics involved. Reason? When President Johnson was at an all time low in the popularity polls because of his stand on VietNam his daughter had a White House wedding and his popularity jumped way up in the polls. Hmmm kind of makes me think. What is your opinion?The White House announced Ms. Bush’s engagement today to her longtime boyfriend, Henry Hager. Here’s the announcement from the Office of the First Lady: President and Mrs. George W. Bush are happy to announce the engagement of their daughter, Jenna Bush, to Mr. Henry Hager, son of the Honorable and Mrs. John H. Hager of Richmond, Virginia. Miss Bush and Mr. Hager became engaged Wednesday, August 15, 2007. No wedding date has been set. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/a-white-house-wedding/
@claudia413 (4284)
That was exactly my first thought when I heard the announcement, too. LOL. Nothing surprises me when it comes to politics today.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Right now I dont think a wedding will help him any do you? as he hasnt long to be in office any how. I sure hope we arent paying for the wedding with our taxes!
@sunshinecup (7881)
So does he own his own bar, is my question. LOL Sorry, but it wouldn't surprise me if this works and the shrub comes up out the thirty percent approval ratings. Yes I do think the majority is very shallow and are easily distracted with shiny objects. How else can we explain the geek making it back into the office a second time as well as having that thirty percent approval rating??? So again I won't be surprised a bit. As for me I could care less. I am sure she will have the best wedding we the tax payers can buy her. :o(
I think that most any action can be twisted to look like a political ploy by people that don't like you or your politics. Being in the publis eye is an open invitation to anyone that wants to take a shot at you. It can be true or fabricated, but the shot will none the less be heard. It would be nice if people were less judgemental on the irrelevantcies of a person's personal life.
@jennybianca (12915)
I would say that is quite a bit of politics involved in this announcement. It is well known, that by announcing engagements, weddings & similar, makes a politician seem more "human", that he/ she has a family just like us., It gives people reason to think positively of him.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I had a good laugh on this subject because, you see, today is my 16th wedding anniversary! lol So, of course, I'm going to choose romance and for good reason! lol But it is funny how one thing doesn't work and the other soars through the ceiling, isn't it? All in all, I wish Jenna the best and congrats.
@shambuca (2560)
I agree - a little too suspicious- I had heard that Pres Bush also wants to send more troops over there...prfect timing??? I think not!
@cikedo (3487)
I wonder if they will have the wedding before The Presidents term is up? I'd like to see a wedding at the White House.
@gardengrrl (1445)
Who knows, maybe the little alkie is preggers and the Shrubs want to save face. A White House wedding is probably the only thing Dubya could do in there that I wouldn't have a problem with.... as long as her parents foot the bill. Heaven knows, they can afford it!