2012 - end of the world - or end of life as we know it?

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
Or just something that requires that you wear tall boots? Do you think its crock - do you think the Mayans - an extremely advanced race - were trying to warn us? Or do you have to may daily concerns?
I haven't studied this extensively, but I do have a few friends who knew quite a bit about this topic, and they always debated whether it was 2010, 2011, or 2012. Apparently there are multiple interpretations of what the Mayans thought would be the last year (and I think my friends were also drawing from information in a role-playing game). My theory is that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and there's nothing I can do about it. Might as well enjoy the next 3-5 years, but not excessively, until we find out for sure that the world is getting ready to end. When my impending doom is on it's way, then I'll have as much fun as I can. :)
• Abernathy, Texas
I think its supposed to be Octobber 2011. I don't think its the end of the world but rather the end of the world as we know it with all the modern convenience so readily available. I want to have an energy efficient, toxin free, off the grid home - my husband and I want to buy one or joined a planned community - not one that has out of this world ideas or deeply religious on the extremist side - or start one - by buying land and building houses. We want to grow our food and stock up on things we can't grow. Not because we want to obsess but because we don't want to think about it, just enjoy the everday moment. We figure if something happens, and we live in the right area (there are numerous prophecies, Nosterdamus, NAtive American, etc, we're covered, if nothing happens, we're always prepared for whatever disaster - with a flood proof, termite proof, fire proof home with emergency supplies. Or even a bad winter storm. If we go through a lean year because of inflation or our companies paring down, we have all the basic needs we need plus we don't have to worry about utiility bills. We would just need part - time jobs to pay the mortgage. And if we build a dome home - which would meet all of our requirements for flood proof, fire proof, termite proof etc, we could likely pay off the houe quicker to. So either way, being prepared has us covered and able to have fun and enjoy life!
• Abernathy, Texas
Oh and I think 2012 would make a great role-playing game - would help people pre-brainstorm how they'd handle it too.
@twoey68 (13651)
Well, this seems to be a thing that crops up every few years. I remember all the time I was growing up that everyone said the world would end in the year 2000. I also remember everyone talking about how our world would collapse b/c of the Y2K thing. In both cases, nothing happened. Maybe the world will end in 2012, who knows? There isn't much you can do if it does so why not enjoy it while you can? :) **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
• Abernathy, Texas
Yes enjoy life, enjoy the moment - enjoying seeing you still here twoe68 - yay! In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. -- Thomas Jefferson
@twoey68 (13651)
Thank you...I like that saying. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
I have heard this a lot and I do not know what to believe. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, then just go on with life as normal.
• Abernathy, Texas
Exactly. Might as well prepare a little but not worry too much.
@Pose123 (21667)
I believe we have caused great damage to the earth, and we will have to work fast to repair it, if indeed we can. We also have to stop killing each other, before we destroy the earth in a nuclear war. We have do something about Global warming, before all the ice melts and we have to deal with the rising water. I don't believe 2012, or any other year means anything. Blessings.
• Abernathy, Texas
I agree that we have to be accountable and take responsibility for what our actions have caused. Yet I'm a hyprocrite as everyday I make decisions that speak of choosing convenience over conscience - like choosing plastic over paper - or even better - not bringing a basket or canvas bag to hold my groceries.
@theprogamer (10539)
While I do want more investment, or at the very least consideration toward an asteroid collision scenario, I'm not that convinced about 2012. I've said this before in another thread. We had global cooling back when I was a kid and apparently the oceans were gonna run amok in 20 years. Nothing happened. We had the doomsday clock and we were all going to get nuked to oblivion. Nothing happened. (Something could still occur, but still) We had the 1999 craze and even a few cults killing themselves over it. Sad losses, but once again, nothing happened. Then it was 2000 and y2k. We were gonna be living in the dark ages. 1/1/2000. Nothing happened. For some esoterics there was 5/5/2005 and the planetary alignment. Supposedly gravimetric forces would cause collisions or instability. Nothing happened. But at least I got some good food on that Cinco de Mayo ;p After that the superstitious and some religious came by with 06/06/06. And nothing happened there too. Now for 2012. Yes the Mayan calendar ends there. I'm well aware of it, but it could also be part of their mathematics, or it could have meant something else (like the end of their own civilization). If you want, be prepared for this day, but live life to its fullest. Folks, what I'm saying is, the doomsday stuff has been overplayed to an extent. Live your lives and take care of each other. If you need to make extra preparations, thats fine. More power to you, I wish you the best. But I really want people to stop and enjoy life and have a bit of skepticism towards those who can't stop peddling the doomsday messages to the masses. Some people do it for attention, others do it to scare the citizenry into surrendering their freedoms so that these people can have some power or benefit off of it. Just be careful but be happy too everyone.
@violeta_va (4834)
oh man every year someone sais its going to be next year and yet we are all still here. remember y2k and many more. it would probably like the story with the wolf at the and no one will belive when the real one comes :). All the best.
• Abernathy, Texas
Very true. I respect the Mayans though, they were advanced in both science and mathematics. A lot is our own miscaluculation! And Nasa has confirmed now finally - the existance of Planet X which should pass by around then, lending some credence to the prophecy. Welcome violeta_va Never cry wolf!