Color change gemstones, do you love them?

I love the color change gemstones, alexandrite being my favorite. I like color change garnet as well but dont have any in my collection yet. There is one I never heard of color change amethyst, which I didnt even know existed, and color change andesine. The color change andesine is very pretty but I dont think it really changes full color it is only a partial or more like a color shift. Andalusite is another one that has a color shift and is very pretty in top gem grade.
@3lilangels (4639)
i love alexandrite the best,i think it has awesome colors to it,and is so stunning.especially when you can see the amazing colors come thru with different lights.its really beautiful.
Are you lucky enough to own any. I searched for years and years to find one i could afford. I finally got a pair of 40 pointers with 90% color change, and i set them in jewelry, one I wear as my wedding set.
yes,i do own a alexandite ring,that i got from ebay,its so breath taking.i got it for mothers day.its 1 carat.i love the color changes.
lucky girl mine is only 1/2 ct I am so jealous
@squaretile (3835)
do they change colours because of body warmth? or because of exposure to sun? I think some gems look bicoloured if they are seen from different angles. my favourite multicolour stone is still the diamond, hee hee. the rainbow sparkles of light in incandescent light is just gorgeous.
What you are describing is pleochroism and many gemstones fall under that category such as tanzanite, and andalusite. There are only a few actual color change gemstones, and they are alexandrite which in its best form is emerald by day and ruby by night. The color change will occur in incandescent light, although mine changes under fluorescent light as well. Color change garnet which is very rare and hard to come by, I do not personally own any nor have i seen it other than in pics, and there are some color change sapphires again very rare.
A new colro change garnet has been discovered in Taita Teveta Kenya The top colro change garnet is being called Alexandrite color change garnet as less then 5% of production rivals top russian and brazilian alexandrite. These colro change garnets come in blue/green to red/purple and are comparable to top alexandrite which runs over $10,000-$12,000 or more to start per ct. Rutile or hemmatite inclusions are common in this garnet making clean stones even more rarae and extremely valuable. In addtion near this area of Kenya there is also golden tourmaline, tsavorite garnet, a new blue/green transparent feldspar looking like aquamarine, new red hessonite, Nymanga Garnet, idocras, green tourmaline, and more. The Alexandrite like colro change garnet can be seen at www.roskingemnews.com starting July 4th 2009 We are the wholesale supplier fo such facated garnets and can be reached at email: lshorowitz@yahoo.com. Lee Horowitz, M.Ed, CAGS, Gemologist Peru Blue Opal Ltd Horowitz Co-KCIG Co Ltd Kingdom of Cambodia Int Gems Co Ltd USA- lshorowitz@yahoo.com Lima Peru office,mining and factory- Peru Blue Opal Ltd Marcel Ryzenberg email: mryzenberg@yahoo.com