Would You Be Willing to Spend More for American-made Goods?

@worldwise1 (14887)
The direction I see us heading in does not bode well for America. Sooner or later we are all going to have to answer this question. I think that Americans have sold their souls for the sake of buying things "on the cheap." There is a price to be paid for this. The health of our families , friends, and pets that we love are all at risk if we continue the route we are going. We must ask ourselves if that price is too high.
@pismeof (855)
I think it is the unbalanced trade policies of irresponsible politicians that has sold America's soul.The supposed free trade agreements do not help build prosperity for the average citizen,these trade policies only serve the greedy corporations in America who set up shop in other countries and get their cheap labor there! Does anyone remember Ross Perot?The same Ross Perot that Congress used to ask for advice on a consistent basis;That was of course until he ran for President and spoke the truth about our fiscal deficits and how our Social Security System was in trouble.What the majority of the general public doesn't know or understand is that it is Ross Perot's corporation E.D.I that operates the Social Security System .He told us well in advance what we'd all be facing at retirement age. Do you Remember the Ross Perot that warned us of the impending doom we'd face with the World Trade agreement policies set forth by Congress? Do you Remember the term "GIANT SUCKING SOUND" that he spoke of as our jobs would be sent over seas and Mexico ? Well aren't you glad that your were manipulated by the media and the pundits into not voting him in as President. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! WATCH C-SPAN, See what Representatives are voting for what.Who's interest are they serving yours or theirs? Sorry Wise1, I do not think the American people sold their soul for cheap goods.I think the American people are just to DA*NED Complacent to see what is happening right under there nose.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Well spoken, pismeof! Oh, I do remember Ross Perot very well indeed. I did vote for him as did my daughters. I knew that he was the man we needed to get the job done, but, as so often happens, most people desired to remain with their partisan politicians. I voted outside my party to try and get him in. To be truthful, I don't have complete faith in our election process anymore. I used to watch C-Span every morning when I had cable tv. I no longer have it so I cannot keep up as well as I used to. But I do have other resources. America is really asleep at the wheel. What's it going to take to wake these people up?
@pismeof (855)
More intelligent discussions like these to bring attention to the fore front.We must come together in solidarity and get everyone to understand what is happening to this great country. VisitorInvasion is doing her part do you look at her posts?
@worldwise1 (14887)
I am not familiar with videoinvasion's posts, pismeof, but I will check her out. Thank you.
@pyewacket (44036)
I actually did an article for Associated Content, hasn't been accepted yet--but dealing with this very topic, that we should boycott all items from China in particular...and yes, I do think even though the item(s) may cost more, it just might be better for us to get things that are made here...one big problem--not too many things really are made here since many things might have component parts made in China!
@worldwise1 (14887)
I'm certain that people who are intelligent and forward-thinking should be able to come up with a remedy to this problem, pyewacket. Remember that old saying: Necessity is the mother of invention.
@pismeof (855)
One other thing, Do you see a familiar pattern to the way Michael Moore the movie producer is treated?
@worldwise1 (14887)
Yes, there is a lot of animosity in the conservative arena. I listen to some conservative talk radio because I want to keep up with both sides of the issues.
@sunshinecup (7881)
Excellent point and very true. I have to admit I stopped looking for who made it and more at the price of it. Times are hard so if I can find a bargain I go for it. Now it seems there was no bargain to be had, cause there is a threat to our very health for going towards cheap. That and well I think our economy is hurting for not buying homemade products. It is a cycle really. We don't want to pay the price that will cover the cost for producing the product here in the US, so companies move over seas to bring the cost down. Then we lose jobs cause the company leaves and cost of living keeps going up all the while. Then we really can't pay the price for USA made materials. It’s a mess
@worldwise1 (14887)
It is indeed a mess, sunshine, and that is one reason that whoever gets my vote in '08 will have to positively address this situation. If they can't convince me that there is still hope for the future of America, they will not get my vote.
@Buggheart (446)
Absolutely! I'm tired of looking at the labels on my products and finding that like 2% of them are actually made here. And I agree with your statement about Americans selling their souls for the sake of the almighty dollar. I'd rather be able to afford only one shirt instead of two as long as they are made here. Even places like LL Bean and Land's End don't make their stuff here anymore. QVC used to make their products in the US but no more. Yes, the price of the health of ourselves, our families and our pets is too high! It's ridiculous.
@sigma77 (5385)
I think the big problem is that we buy too much stuff and most of it gets wasted or ends up as junk. We buy more things than we need therefore using up more valuable income. So, in order to make our incomes stretch from month to month, we have to purchase cheaper goods. Keep in mind that the way China is going economically, one day those workers are going to demand higher pay and more benefits. That will raise the cost of Chinese goods. But that day is way off in the future, unfortunately. I see no reason why we cannot buy more American made goods even if the cost is higher. That is because we all could probably get along with less things.
Nothing has changed my shopping habits. I will buy the item that I want as long as it is well made and is the right price. If it was made in the U.S. that is great. But if it is made overseas, that is okay too.It would be great if there were more goods made in the U.S. but i don't see things changing anytime soon.
@Aurone (4758)
I would pay extra for American Made Goods especially if the items from China continue to be poisoned.