What would be harder for you to do...

@OURDEW (4812)
Live without any salt or live without any sugar? I think that it would be harder for me to live without salt. I don't really add salt to my food, but I use it when I cook. I think salt brings out the flavor in foods. I do like sweets sometimes, but I still think it would be harder to go with salt.
@shannon76 (1234)
I agree with you - salt would be the hardest for me. I am not a "sweets" type of person anyway (I am also diabetic so I shouldn't be having them anyway lol). So giving up sugar wouldn't be such a bad idea. There are other ways to sweeten stuff. I am a saltaholic though! lol
@laydee (12815)
Hi, I agree. I couldn't live without salt. But could live well without sugar. I am also a diabetic and my diabetic expert physician told me that it's good to avoid sweet stuff, but I have also to avoid salt too. Not really 'not use' salt, more of just enough for cooking but not getting too much salt. It's also bad for diabetics. Here's an article about such: People with diabetes have to be particularly careful about what they eat in order to best manage their diabetes. But everyone can benefit from a healthy diet. In fact, eating healthy now can help to prevent Type II Diabetes later in life. Here are some things you can do to improve your diet: Eat less fat. Eating too much fat is bad for your heart and body. People often eat too much fat. Some examples of foods that contain lots of fat are bacon, bologna, gravy, salad dressing, butter, and margarine. A little bit of these foods is okay, but it's a problem when people eat too much fat. Some examples of food that are lower in fat are fish, chicken, turkey, fruits, vegetables, and pasta. Eat more carbohydrates (starches and breads). You can do this by eating beans, peas, lentils, whole grain breads, cereals, and pasta. You should also eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat less sugar. With diabetes you need to be extra careful about when and how much sugary food you eat. Foods with a lot of sugar include desserts like cake, pie, and cookies, sugary cereal, honey, syrups, and regular soft drinks. Eat less salt (sodium). Eating too much salt can cause your body to hold more water and your blood pressure to rise too high. Canned soups and other processed foods are often high in sodium. http://www.girlpower.gov/girlarea/11nov/99diabetes.htm
@creematee (2810)
I think sugar would be the hard one to replace in my world. I have a terrible sweet tooth, and the sugar substitutes on the market just don't satisfy. I've learned little tricks to avoid the salt. I use lemon juice when cooking instead of the salt. It does the same as the salt, but doesn't add any sodium. If I can't use the lemon juice, then I use pepper or garlic powder to enhance the flavor. (Works really well on french fries!!)
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hi there. I think to live without salt would be a struggle, as salt adds tasted and flavour to our dishes... Without it, somehow, it doesnt taste the same...
@crazynurse (7510)
I would rather pass my spleen than to give up sugar! I have a terribly big sweet tooth and can't imagine life without sugar! I love salty things too, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the sugar! Give me a chocolate bar or a piece of cake and I'm in heaven!
@wdiong (1818)
It's the opposite for me... I cannot live without sugar as I have a sweet tooth. Desserts will not taste good without sugar. Can you imagine eating cookies,cakes pastries,etc without any sugar in them?
hmm... I think I can do away with sugar because there are alternatives to adding sweet to whatever you are cooking.
@Darkwing (21590)
To be perfectly honest, I could do without both, as most foodstuffs have an amount of salt or sugar in them already. However, if I have to choose, it would be salt, because I never use sugar anyway. lol. I do like salt on my vegetables, and I always rub it into pork rind, to make it crispy. Brightest Blessings.
@jillhill (37354)
I don't salt my food so it would be very easy to go without it..on the other hand I do like my sweets.
@vinzen (1022)
Hi, i dont think i can do with either of them! but if we were to make a choce i think salt would be tougher to do without, as you rightly said it brings out the flaovour and tate in the food that we eat, and our taste buds decipher the salt first , than the sweets. But all the same, food without either of them would taste so bland and unplalatable too. I at times wonder how the people who either have high blood pressure, or diabetes, manage to live without or make do with very less of salt and sugar, and thank my lucky stars that i have neither of them. But i guess, its all a state of mind and if we do set our minds to dow without any of them, we can, if we want to that is, though of course it would take time to get adjusted to it, but it wont be tough too i think.
I think it is harder for me if both. I like salt to be with meals and some ripe fruit. and since i love coffee, i have to have sugar. It is harder for me if both will gone.
@cutepenguin (6458)
Actually, you need both salt and sugar in your diet - although you get a lot of both in different foods like fruits, vegetables, breads, and meat. So I guess I could technically go without either, and just get them from the plain food. It would probably be healthier.
It would be hard for me to live without sugar. I put sugar in my tea, koolaide, & on most cereals. I hate salt and I salt nothing! I am always lecturing my hubby because he salts everything and way too much!
@ElicBxn (60050)
Well, salt is a critical mineral in our diet, sugar is a wonderful luxury. So, while I also don't add salt to food, I think salt is my choice too.
I would have a really hard time going without sugar. I could use other herbs and spices in my cooking to substitute for salt, but I really seem to need sugar on a daily basis. I know that it is just quick, short bursts of energy that it provides, but without sugar, I don't know if I could get through the day without a nap!
@raychill (6571)
Ohhh Simple! Live without sugar would be hard. I don't use a lot of salt at all but I love me some sugary things. So that'd be simple as anyhing. Plus there are other spices you can use to make things not so bland other than salt...but it's just not sweet without sugar!
@Grandmaof2 (7604)
This is such an easy question for me. I never use sugar. It's in the house because if someone comes for coffee there are people who can not drink coffee without sugar. If I had to use sugar I'd never drink another cup. I never do baking my husband is diabetic and addicted to sweets. I never eat sweets. I love garlic salt, I enjoy a salty snack occassionally and I need my season salt. Take Care
@gabs8513 (48803)
Well I think for me it would be salt to even though I do not use it that often but I use sugar even less
@3lilangels (4639)
well for me it would be salt.i cook with it and i know i cant go with out it. i totally agree i think it brings out the flavors in food,so i would be lost with out it.