Do you think fraud email senders can be caught and put in jail?

@LittleMel (14055)
I just went to check my email today and boy I found so many fraud emails in my junk folder asking to verify bank information etc. There are also fraud emails from so called Ebay and Paypal. They even had similar words you used to see on real emails from these websites, but some things just don't seem right so I never bothered. I think Yahoo or any email providers can track the senders and report them then put them in jail. Do you think so too? if we let them go all the time, they will keep scamming people
@shambuca (2560)
I think that there is a web site you can report them to yourself- I forget the name of it. I get the ones from overseas that say that you have inherited money and wanr your bank info- I agree those should be caught and put in jail!!!!
@LittleMel (14055)
those emails you mentioned I used to get them some time ago but I reported each one of them all the time and now I didn't receive them anymore. there are still scam emails buit at least those ones are gone, for now
@shambuca (2560)
I've reported them too - but i still get them becasue there are so many of them out there - you get rid of one anad more come.
@LittleMel (14055)
it could be the same people, using different emails
@polachicago (19073)
Yes, thay can. FBI is working on it everyday. Go and check FBI site. Thay are talking about all kind of scams and how you can protect yourself.
@LittleMel (14055)
but they are only US, aren't they
@polachicago (19073)
FBI site is for all, they are good with information, and they are working on international area now. Many people think that I am overreacting in many fields, read this: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt132.shtm I like this site, because you can get notice and be careful.
@LittleMel (14055)
thanks for the link :)
@adidas7878 (2013)
it is very hard to track them and they have to be online when that happend, and you have to have speical tracking program in order to track them, and it is hard to track them if they are using a different computer and public phone line or public dsl.
@LittleMel (14055)
I heard that some PC doesn't have static IP address, this means the IP address keeps changing, but there must be some scammers who happen to have static IP addresses
it is very hard i tell you to track them, like is say before if soemone really have intention of scamming someone, libery is a perfect place to go it is quite and no one pay attention
@kimthedane (1000)
• Denmark
I think you are right there hunni. The e-mail providers can easily put a stop to this if they wanted. Fact is that they dont. Its the business they live of. How do you think companies like yahooaol and microsoft can provide free e-mail accounts to millions of people around the world. Unfortunately as long as they are paid by the companies to get permission sending junk mails, nothing will happens regarding this. Regarding the ones who ask for your bank details i have repported quiet a high number of tose, both to the local police, web watchdog and the respective mail provider, obviously with no bloody response or action taken.
@LittleMel (14055)
you got me thinking there. some of yahoo services are not free, but emails are. hhmm I think it's very possible scammers pay these email providers to give them list of email addresses to send junks to
Yes I do..I get alot of it every day, but unfortunatly there are alot of people (mostly elderly people) who fall for scams like that. There ought to be a website you can go to and foward these emails for others to research...the local police "don't have the time" to deal with them. Its' too bad...
@LittleMel (14055)
I guess local police has enough on hand. I think if we get these emails online, we should report it to a certain agency that takes care of online scams. I'm still looking for it, maybe there isn't any yet
@ranitam22 (1147)
I think that would be kind of hard seeing as though most of those people that send the fraud emails, if you look at who the email is coming from, they mostly are using free email programs like yahoo.com, hotmail.com, bellsouth.com. You know as well as i do you can pretty much have as many email addresses as you want to and use all kinds of different names and addresses. The only way they would be able to track that stuff is if they track the computer it's coming from and even then they could be using a library, or some other public place just about anybody uses. I'm also not sure if they can track your computer or if they would have to work with the government or something.
@LittleMel (14055)
but at elast IP address should take them somewhere, especially if it's repetitive means this sender lives around or close to the area.
Not much you can really do with spammers that are using email clients that mask their real email addresses. If you noticed you will see email like hdjkdk@rkll.com these are invented emails and don't really exist neither does the domain, so you cannot reply or opt out from them. The thing to never do is reply or request to be opted out of spammed email. When you do you have just verified your email to be legit and your email address will get sold as a verified email.
@LittleMel (14055)
so this software invented fake websites and generated emails from there? then all we have to do is find the software and who sells it, right?
I wish they could. I hate getting those things. Then I get emails saying things like "Be a cop today". I don't want to be a cop so why do they send me these. Then I get the ones about scholarships and I have been out of school for almost 10 years and don't plan on going back. I just delete them all and I don't respond unless I know who the person is. It's just very irritating when you get these emails. I so wish they could find the people and lock them up but there are so many I doubt that would ever happen. But it's good to wish. LOL
@LittleMel (14055)
have you ever found one that you know the sender? what would you do if you did?
@yanjiaren (9050)
I think if there are people around to report them..unless they are running around on wireless lol.it should be easy to track these bandits doen by the i.p addresses, bu then again they know how to cover themselves don't they? Unless the local intelligence services are involved and they get satellites in oin the hunt etc..might be a bit hard..I get so much crao mail you would not believe lol1
@LittleMel (14055)
I know. if I didn't delete them daily, I'd end up with 400 in a week. drives me crazy checking to see if there is any that's legit
@eshaan (6193)
If it was so easy dear, there would not be so many numbers of crime occuring everyday.The spam e-mails is not to be worried about that much but the scam sites are more danderous.I wish there must be some site where we can report all these crimes which are taking place almost everyday.
@LittleMel (14055)
I wish there is a site like that too
@squaretile (3833)
the problem with policing the internet is that it spans across too many jurisdictions. there's no way we can say that one country or one organisation can be responsible to take in complaints. I suppose we could all complain separately to our local police, but if the offender is in another state or virtually impossible to track, whose responsibility does it then become to nab him? and how will this policing organisation be funded? it's complicated. so far spam filters and educating the public seems to be the best way to go...
@LittleMel (14055)
about funding, maybe internet users will be willing to join fund them. since this will save everyone from more junk and probably help stop some of them forever. people pay for programs like Norton, maybe they will be willing to pay for such organization - who knows in the future?
@suspenseful (40316)
That is a wonderful idea. Maybe we can send them junk email all the time, or not allow them to use a computer, but to be really mean, put them in a cell besides someone who has an internet connection and have him jeer them, saying, "I can use the computer and get on the internet and you can't!" I often wonder why Yahoo cannot stop these people, surely they have enough evidence and it is more than a case of the customer beware.
@LittleMel (14055)
I was wondering that too. some of these fraud emails have yahoo accounts. I can see it when viewing my junk mail folders. I think by reporting them we stop them from flodding our mailbox but then they will come back with different addresses
I always just use the delete key on them.I don't even bother to respond unless I really know who it is.I doubt that it's possible to put them in jail.There's just too many of them.
@LittleMel (14055)
maybe you're right. too many of them by now.
Most likley not because they arent mainstream, not likley