Is it difficult growing up in today's world?

@Pose123 (21667)
We hear a lot about the problems that parents and teachers are having with the youth of today, but little about the problems that young people are facing themselves. As we all know, growing up has never been easy, but is it more so today than it was twenty-five years ago? Before we judge too harshly, lets give it some thought. Lets listen more, not only to what our children are saying, but for what they are trying to say. Are they often crying out for help, when we think they are just being difficult? What are your feelings on this?
@ranitam22 (1147)
I think the kids of today do have it alot worse than we ever did. It seems like everyone has to play the tough role and being bad is cool even though they really aren't. They are forced to dress in the ridiculously baggy pants and oversized shirt because that is the style. A lot of them don't have the parental guidance, discipline, or nurturing that we had as a child so they don't learn how to interact with people correctly. I think a lot of times when they lash out it is a cry for help and for some attention. About 4 years ago, I worked as an officer in a juvenile correctional facility for teenage girls. One girl in particular would every once in a while put a piece of sheet or anything she could piece together to tie tightly around her neck and then scream to us that she was choking herself. When we get there her face is red and blue and once we got the string from around her neck she was talking and having conversation as if nothing had happened. At first it frightened me when she would do that, and then it frustrated me, but I do believe that that was her way of getting attention. She sure wasn't trying to kill herself or she wouldn't have called us to come and look at her. Teens do have it the roughest with the changes with their bodies and things going on as it is, dealing with the everyday issues of society and life just make it worse.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi ranitam22, you've made some very good points here. Thanks for adding to the discussion.
@theprogamer (10539)
Awesome post Rani, one of your better ones. Yea I totally agree with what you shared, and many parts of our society just reinforce what you posted (MTV, BET, Hip-Hop, Anti-Education Stigma, Self-satisfaction, me-me-me). They have so many issues and they are bombarded on every front by it. I'll go into depth in my synopsis/reaction (if I have the energy to do it, I'm fading.)
I think there is a lot more these kids have to deal with now days. They have a lot more temptation and a lot more expectation. We are putting a lot of pressure on the kids because they need to be ready for a hard world. We should let them be little too and not try to make them grow up to fast, they will do that on their own.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi happythoughts, Thank you for responding to my post. I agree that kids shouldn't have to grow up so fast. Let them enjoy being a kid. Blessings.
@medicsrep (130)
well my friend u have really chose a very right topic of discussion. trully speaking todays youth is very different as compared to earlier. they are very hard to understand i think some of the times there is mis communication between us.new ones have forgoten the reall values of life ,god,regards towardsparents,teachers etc wont have a much power to listen, only try to be the commander . shows of themselves as they r the only one on the earth. thank god we are the people of 70"80".
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi medicsrep, Thank you for commenting.
@healer (1783)
Todays world is weird and its hard to imagine 20 years ahead what the world would be. Technology is also palying a major role in the transformation of all this things. Its hard to settle things with my little brother as our views are completely different and this is due to the todays fast changing world and we along with the youngster getting mixed up with this. Everybody faces these problems specially those people who takes time to adjust with new environments.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi healer, thank you for adding to this discussion. I agree the world seems to be going at breakneck speed now. I wouldn't hazard a guess at 20 years from now. In fifty years, (if we haven't destroyed the world before then) we probably wouldn't recognize the place. Take care.
@cmsk2005 (1770)
Growing up in Todays world is more difficult? How can I say that? I think there are benefits and disadvantages both in old days and also in today. If we think about the resources available today for each and everyone is just beyond imagination of any 60's people. You are about to get any information in asecond today but it was not so easy in the past. I simply realise this when I apply somewhere, I always apply online, cant think now for writing or typing the application on a paper and send that by mail that used to take several weeks to reach the authority. So that was real time consuming and today I can apply tousand of jobs online in two days!!! So the world of opportunity is fully open to todays generation, they just have to grab it properly. But there is something is more tough today which is competition, the present generation has to compete for success in each and every step. To achieve the goal they have to work much harder than the past. But competition is not all bad, it pulls out the better presentation from us. Well, if we consider todays student lifestyle, attitude and attitude, that may look no higher than before. eventhough i am not from 60's but I want to say this:Todays child can easily grow up to a successful professional(Either doctor, Scientist, Educator etc) and reach the top much more easily than past if they have a burning desire for success but growing up to a top rank human being is may be more difficult for todays child. The world obstruct theat steps in each and every moment.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi cmsk2005, You have added to this discussion. Thank you.
@TDonald (1423)
I don't really think there's more difficulty growing up today. Yes, the outer circumstances appear different. The real issue remains the same... discovering who you are. I agree we need to listen more. More important, we need to understand better.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi TDonald, some very good thoughts. Thank you.
@juliefaye (1214)
There's a big diff between the youth of today than those who grew up in 60's or 70's. I remember then that in school no one is allowed to talk louder in a hallway, hair are neatly combed and fingernails are trimmed. young people today have that polish, hair highlights and they can laugh out loud in a conversation even if the classes are going on. We know that our teachers are mad, we keep quiet by her stare alone. Even on manners, there is really a big difference, the youth today has so many attitudes. I'm still glad that i belong to the generation of the past.
@Pose123 (21667)
Thanks for commenting juliefaye.