Jesus and Hair ....

@lena2000 (2392)
Belgium
A while ago we had a thread about head coverings and if Christian women should wear them. For some reason I had quite a bizarre thought the other day. I had watched something about the Duggar Family of Arkansas and the women/girls in their family wear dresses or skirts exclusively and the their (women/girls) hair is very long. From memory, I believe that those who dress like this use a verse in the OT that has the jist of “women, don’t dress like men and men, don’t dress like women.” This brought to my mind the “hair/covering” passage in 1 Corinthians. 1 Corinthians 11:14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, So, I started thinking… Every “picture” of Jesus that I have seen depicts him with long hair – around shoulder length. There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus DID NOT dishonor himself in any way, shape or form. I guess I just wonder if anyone had ever thought of this before? In the previous “covering” thread I took the position that the head covering, etc. was a cultural sign of submission and I really believe, at this point, that “this” solidifies that for me. Any thoughts?
@Rozie37 (15505)
• Turkmenistan
There is actually a funny joke about the hair thing. This teenager with long hair goes to his Christian father and ask if he can buy him a car. Well, the dad says, if you bring up your grades, do your chores without being asked and cut your hair, we will see. So the boy agrees. A few months later, the teen comes back to his father and reminds him of the talk that they had before. The kid says, well, I have done everything that you asked me to, may I have a car? And the father says, but you did not cut your hair son. Thinking that he has his father over a barrel, the son says, dad I have been thinking, Jesus had long hair too. Without missing a beat, the father says, yes and he walked everywhere he went. When my mother was alive, she did not allow my two sisters and I to wear pants because of the Old Testament scripture that you mentioned. My mother was a God pleaser in her soul. If she even thought something was wrong in God's eyes, she did not want any part of it. She passed away when I was ten years old. She was a great woman. My sister's and I all wear pants now with no problem. Who can determine whether or not pants are for a man or woman. From what I have seen in pictures, what the men wore looked more like dresses than pants anyway.
Was the author of the Corinthians books Paul, lena2000? The author may not have been speaking for a general audience. I cannot remember who the author of the verse is, however, some of the books within the Bible are directed at certain cultures and not at 'people globally.' I am certain that the Corinthians text, as well as Galatians and a few others were meant for new congregations of Christians where new churches were developed and perhaps this involved the setting forth of certain specifics that would later become traditions (ie: also, circumcision for a certain culture - is mentioned only in some parts of the Bible and this practice isn't broadcast to be necessary for all peoples). The audience.culture for that portion of text isn't the same kind of culture that Jesus originated from.