Did your parents pay for your wedding?

I'm just wondering how many of you paid for your own wedding- or did your parents pay for it? And how much did your wedding cost? My hubby and I were pretty conservative. We had a fairly small wedding (65 people) and we paid for it ourseleves. We didn't get into debt over it- we spent about $15,000 and it was still very nice. So how about you?
@Lindalinda (4112)
When my son got married the bride's father and I each gave the couple a sum of money that we could afford. The young couple arranged for their own wedding and neither the bride's parents or I got involved. I don't know how much the wedding cost but the young couple paid the bill. It was a very nice wedding and stress free because there was no input or different opinion on things from either family.
@sunshine4 (8708)
I was very lucky when I got married. My mother paid for 1/2 of the wedding and my inlaws paid for the other 1/2. My inlaws don't drink, so my mom did pay for the whole bar tab. We had about 200 [eople and we no way spent $15000! I think it was around $5000 for the total wedding. Of course, this was 20 yrs ago.
Wow 200 people and it cost $5000? Prices sure have gone up. I thought the $15,000 we spent seemed pretty inexpensive by today's standards.
@sunshine4 (8708)
Yes...That is nuts the difference in cost! I better start saving now for when my daughter gets married. She is 7, so by then it will be crazy!
@violeta_va (4834)
Traditionaly its the parents that pay for the wedding in my country so my wedding was paid by my and my husbands parents (my parents got the suit for hubby + presents for all involved + 1/2 for the music, 1/2 drinks, 1/2 photography and video, 1/2 for tha reception and the cost for the guests on our side), samo for his family + my dress. Our wedding was overseas and it was about $3000 australian.
@BlueAngelRS (2900)
My husband and I had a small wedding at home we payed for it ourselves well most of it..My parents chipped in a little bit.
@horsesrule (1960)
My Wedding Nov. 6, 1988 - I was married in the backyard of our house. It was a very big yard and we built a gazebo.
My husband paid for our wedding. My dad did build me a gazebo in the backyard of the house that my husband bought for us. My husband did pay for all the materials. We didn't expect my parents to pay for anything. It was my second re-marriage to this same man, the father of my only child. It was a big wedding, we cut costs by getting married in the giant backyard of the house he bought, built the gazebo, bought a blue rug runner for us to walk on, bought a piano for someone to play, borrowed the tables and chairs from the church, did the flowers myself, rented the bridesmaids dresses and tuxes [I did splurge on MY dress!], did all the food for the dinner ourselves and had church members help serve though we did rent warmers for the food, bought the cake from the bakery and did pay a lot for that but it was gorgeous, hired a photographer, asked a friend to take the wedding video. We cut corners where we could so we could splurge where we really wanted to. I think the total cost for everything was close to $6,000.00. This was in 1988.
@mkirby624 (1599)
Wedding Reception - Our reception
I actually had a fairly large wedding....around 200 guests...but we only paid $11,000, or my parents did, rather. We didn't do sit down dinner because it was an afternoon wedding, but we deifnitely spent 75% of the budget on the reception. The wedding was simple...I don't really like flowers so we didn't have a whole lot. I planned the whole things myself and made a lot of the stuff myself, or thought it up and put it together myself, so that saved us a lot of money.
@laurika (4536)
I don't think my parents will pay my wedding, I am not expecting that from them.I think I can support myself and have still nice wedding.
@cutepenguin (6457)
My parents paid for the dinner, the dresses, the photographer, and some other things. My husband's parents paid for the church, a room rental, etc. My friend hosted an in between event. We paid for the cake, the tux rentals, and the rings. In total, our wedding cost about $11,000.
No, my husband paid all of our wedding cost. We are already adults, so we can't let our parents pay for it. It is our own business. Our parents should leave the money for themselves. If we can't afford an expensive wedding, I don't mind to have a less expensive wedding. I feel comfortable to it. If my parents pay for it, I will feel very guilty and embarrassed.
@sunshinecup (7881)
Yes and no. Our parents didn't pay for anything, but we covered the costs except Great Grandma supplied the food for the reception. She cooked everything but the chicken, which she had brought in from a restaurant. She insisted on it. The rest we paid for, it's was our wedding so we felt we should have paid for it. IMO and I have no intentions of putting any one down, but I think it's almost like parents are selling their kids by flipping the bill for the wedding. I know I have a warped way of looking at things, but I am just being honest.
@twoey68 (13651)
My Hubby and I got married right in our apartment and it was just us and my family. We had a friend of my Stepfather do the ceremony and then we went out for a big dinner afterwards at the local steakhouse. It was really nice and we enjoyed it. A friend of mine is getting married next year and has already picked out 6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, a maid of honor, best man, ring bearer, flower girl and God knows what else. Although she's happy about all this I just see it as a big waste but that is just me and as long as shes happy then oh well. I don't ever see me going to all that for a wedding but some ppl like all that. Regardless of whether it is big or small I think the ppl getting married should pay for it...it is for them after all. HAVE A GOOD DAY!! AT PEACE WITHIN
@Ravenladyj (22937)
LOL no...my mom wrote me a cheque for $1000 and that was the extent of her involvement :-/ pretty much to this day....and we've been married for nearly 5 yrs now :-/
Yes, my parents paid for my first wedding - I honestly was all about running off to Vegas, but NOOOO my mom wanted a big wedding - so she got one! It really was more hers than anything because my fiance and I were living in HOuston and the rest of my family was in CA, so she did all of teh work - we just showed up with my dress and boom! Instant wedding, just add bride. I know if I got married again (working on the divorce currently) my mom would wanna pay for it, but I have my heart set on running away to Vegas. I just want some tacky guy that looks nothing like Elvis but is dressed as him to be the one to marry me so I can say I did it! Why not? It's tons easier than planning a huge wedding and if I send out announcement people will stillknow what I did so it won't be a hidden surprise. I just wouldn't want another huge crazy affair like the last one - dream weddings only make me wanna drink!
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Wow, $15,000 that is alot of money. My wedding was alomost nonexistant. I got married infront of the justice of peace, no flowers no new clothes the only thing new was the marriage license. My marriage cost $68 thats $40 for the justice of peace and $28 for the marriage license. I always wanted to have another wedding one for friends and family but 16-1/2 years later and still haven't renewed vows at a special wedding. Maybe I'll be lucky and if we are still alive we can plan that something special..
@andyliuzn (991)
Here in China, people usually don't have to pay for the wedding but the wedding charge would be normally by his & her friends & relatives. They would give the new couples a Hongbao(A red Paper which contains some money as a gift). Surely next time when the new couples are invited to attend a wedding, they should present a Hongbao as well, so all in all, it is we who afterall pay the wedding ourselves, though we are paying it not at a time. B.rgds, Andy