how do you send school supplies to school

my daughter is 4 and starting school this week. she has a list of stuff i had to buy. blankets, pillows, smock and so on. but she can't fit it all in her bag. what would you do. give her two huge bags or split it up in two days. some stuff she really needs the first day but i don't think i need to sent the cleanex boxes and ziplock bags and stuff like thhat. just with the first load i think her bag weighes more than her. or should i drive it over to the school the first day?
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Just put the stuff she will normally bring with her in the backpack and every thing else in a shopping bag. The first day you can bring it to school for her. The paint smock and such she won't need the first day but it's nice to have it all there and not have to remember to send a little at a time. Make sure you mark her stuff with her name, though. Things are pretty confusing for young kids on the first few days and you don't want her to lose her smock or pencil box, etc.
thanks, i've allready marked her name on all of her stuff
@crazynurse (7489)
I always took my children on the first day just so that I could walk the bags of supplies in to the teacher. With my older two children the requested supply list wasn't as lengthy and it fit into their book bags. But with my younger two, the list had grown by leaps and bounds and required my taking them the first day to get it all to the classroom!
she's really excited about taking the bus to school. maybe when she gets on the bus i'll drive over to the school. that way i'll get to see her go in and i can take pictures but i want to give her her space to learn on her own where to go and what to do so maybe i'll just sneak the stuff into the school and put it in her locker and let her teacher know it's there. she's allready had school camp for two hours each day this week and i know where her locker is. i should of taken her stuff in then maybe.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I think I would because that's a bit much for a 4 year old to be carrying. I bet a lot of parents are going to be doing that so you won't be the only one thinking of their kids and their needs.
@sedel1027 (17854)
My son brought his over 2 days. Most schools either allow the parents to go the first day and drop stuff off or allow the kids to gradually bring in supplies over the first week.
@ibuemma (2954)
well, i remember my daughter's first day of school. I want to give her that school supplies so she can put it in her back, but instead because i come over to her school after she got on the school bus ( take picture of her first day ) so i just brought it with me and gave it to her teacher.
If it were me, I would drive her to school the 1st day. I would do it even if there wasn't so much to carry. That way she doesn't feel as overwhelmed with it being the 1st day. I'll always remember the 1st day of school every year. I had butterflies in my stomach so bad, it wasn't even funny. The nerves alone was enough to make me want to stay home.
actually she isn't nervous. she has done two school rediness programs at the school allready, therefore knows the other kids, the teachers and the classroom. just this pass week she was going to school camp there for 2 hours each day. so i don't think she will feel overwelmed. she is not shy and very good at situations like this.
Ahhh, ok. That makes thing a lot easier. Well it's good that she has this experience to help her in school. I hope she has a wonderful teacher and a blessed school year.
@cher913 (25890)
i know you are in school and all but i think you should go with her the first day of school and help her take her stuff with her. does she go all day? cause when mykids were in jk, they only went half days and didnt need half that stuff!
she is going all day. i think i'll take the stuff to the school but let her get on the bus. and i'll drop it off by the time she gets there. she really wants to take the bus.
@tuffy999 (794)
i think driving your 4 year old to school on the first day will be the best solution. you'll have the chance to meet her teacher and at the same time bring all the stuffs. you will also have a chance to see how your daughter will blend with her classmates.
my daughter has been in two special programs this past year to get her ready for school. and me ready i think to let go. anyway she had back in march a 7 week program where she went to school one day a week for a few hours and last week she had school camp where she went every day for two hours. so i allready know her teachers and some of her classmates so i know how she will be the first day. but i'll bring in her stuff for her so she doesn't have to carry so much.
• Vietnam
i think you should drive with her the first day. that'll help her a lot, and you can get to know her teacher and classmates too, which is good.
When I was young enough to go to school most supplies were provided by the school. I didn't have a lot to carry when I was a teenager, let along when I was four years old. I think school supply lists and homework have gotten way out of hand in the last 10 years.
@Razzles (391)
I would drive your daughter to school the first day and take the supplies to her classroom. There are just too many items to overload your daughter with. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. I remember when my girls were starting school - it was so exiting, and one you don't seem to forget. Cherish those memories.
I have six kids , and the first day of school I found it was easyer to take all there stuff in to school. And they seemed to be ok with me taking them to school the frist day.
@Michele21 (3094)
I always drive my daughter on the first day of school (she is only in First grade now though) but there is just no way to put everything in her bag or separate bags and expect her to carry it all =) She rides the bus all over days but the first day is kinda special so I like to take her. Tomorrow is her first day and I am so excited!! I hope your daughter loves school!!
@sizzle3000 (3040)
When my daughter was in grade school I would take all her stuff to school the first day and drop it off. I would also introduce myself to the teacher so that she knew who I was. At the elemetry school my daughter went to the teachers were glad to see that I took an interest in my daughters education. This is also a way for you to see what the class looks like and what kind of person is going to be with your child all day. Actually this is how I met one of my friends. She was a helper in my daughters kindergarden class. We are still friends today. I know you are busy and you may have to drop it off at the end of the day but still this will give you a chance to take a look around. I am not saying that anything is wrong but it is nice to know your kid is happy and safe. It always calmed my nerves.
i've seen the class and met the teachers allready and the other parents and the other kids. she's gone to two school rediness programs there. actually this was the other day that was her first day. she wanted to take the bus, i let her and then i drove her stuff to the school and met up with her when she was getting off the bus. and she didn't even care that i was there, she followed the other kids and walked 5 feet ahead of me. the teacher told her she was proud of her. she said if she is confterble enough to take the bus the first day then let her do it. it will get her used to it.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Hi poppoppop111, I can't believe all she has to take.. My son didn't have to take as much, but it still didn't fit into his backpack, so I put what I could into his backpack and put everything else in a grocery store bag. It worked out just right..
I know it's crazy the stuff kids have to bring to school now.I have 3 kids and they all need alot of stuff the first day of school...If I was you I would take her the first day and take her stuff to her classroom. I know I have to take my girls to school the first day so I know they can get their things to their classroom..