How would you define a true friend?

I was browsing the pages of the dictionary when I happened to come across the word “friend” by accident. There, it has been given several meanings but then, I began to think that the words “true friend” have a meaning which we could not find in the dictionary. If ever you would be asked to define what a “true friend” is, what would you say?
@singlepixel (2743)
someone who help you without asking back any favor someone who criticize you openly in private someone who are always there(especially in bad times)for you to at least listen to your problems someone who you defend you in your absence.. someone who always think of your welfare..
I like what you said. Especially the last one.
JD, i described YOU. It's easy to say those words - but i really can't do them hersmart. TQ.
@cefaz_21 (2597)
a true friend for me is; 1. someone who do not judge you for the mistakes you did but understand that you are a human being and that you are bound to make mistakes. 2. someone who tells you what's wrong with you and is not afraid you'll get mad because she knew you need to hear those words even how painful it is.
That was a great response. Thanks. Anyway, is that your new avatar?
(psst...you deserve BR Cefaz...!)
@cefaz_21 (2597)
thank you so much pixel..you're always nice..but you deserve it equally too..LOL ..that's what friends are for!! hersmart-yes,that is my new avatar,my hubby's precious guitar. thank you for the compliment too!
@aj2006 (1536)
for me a true friend is a person who understands you and accepts you for who you are.. always there to lend a helping hand without doubts. but most of all, a true friend sees not only your kindness but your faults..gives you critism for a good cause. :)
@jalbeos (1176)
I agree! :)
True. Friendship always involve acceptance.
@brew2x (3096)
A true friend is someone who will always be there for you no matter what, not just in good times but also in times of trouble. A true friend will always tell you the truth no matter how painful it would be. A true friend is really hard to find.
I applaud that. It was indeed a description of a true friend.
@happymom1 (1179)
For me true friend is a friend who is there in good times and bad times. A loving,comforter, and sincere person. I have that when i was in college and until now we just still best friend.
You are very luck to have a friend such as that. A rare kind.
@cher913 (25890)
a true and real friend is someone that sticks with you through thick and thin... meaning they are there for you when times are tough! we have friends that are like that, they have been poor, we are currently poor, that sort of thing...they are true blue friends.
True friends really would stick with you even if times are rough. Thanks for the response.
@yojspew (171)
For me, a true friend is someone who will stood by you till the end. They are the ones who will tell you honestly if what you're doing is right or wrong.
Yes I believe that a true friend doesnt have to please you all the time by saying everything is right. She has to be honest too if there is something wrong in what you do.
@eir000 (30)
"true friend" is not a literal word. This word is symbolic and have different meaning depending on a person. For me,true friend, is someone you can rely on without expecting anything from you. Knows you weakness. So when you are down,a true friend is there for you to help.
@shinjiao (1464)
In my opinion,the true friend is someone you can share laughter and tears,the true friend is someone who will help you when you need help,the true friend is someone who will point out your fault.
@touchnshine (2821)
What is a true friend? Often, I have struggled to understand what makes one person there, truly, more than the next. We all go through life with different people by our sides at different times in our lives. But some people distinguish themselves. They are true friends. There are times in all of our lives when we need the comfort and solace of someone who understands completely, and for some reason, continues to help us when we are at our worst, perhaps even exhausting them. To me, a true friend understands. Not the kinds that say they will be there for you and then are purposely. They are the kind that say they’ll be there, then are, and amaze you with how devoted they really are. Going through a time of crisis reveals that your real friends are. It’s not to say that those who are not there for you in these bad times are not good people or good friends. But you get to see their true dedication and moral character when you face adversity. But your real, true, friends are the ones who come through with flying colors, when you do not even have to ask. There is something magical about the bonds of true friendship. Though you may not have many kinds of these people in your life, be thankful for the ones who are there. The people in our lives are a blessing. When going through rough times, don’t expect everyone to understand—you will just be let down more if they do not. Reach out to your friends if you want them to understand, and give them the opportunity to help. (They aren’t mind readers!) If you do not find someone to understand, you know that the person has not defined themselves in your eyes as the kind of person who will be there through thick and thin. You can still value people in your life who are not “till the end” friends. These people have just as much to offer, and it should be said that each person in your life is there for a reason. If a friend just does not get the idea that you need him or her, try and understand what that person is going through, or how they view the relationship. Don’t be afraid to confront your friend to see if everything is okay. And most of all, don’t expect everyone to run to your aid. Everyone is busy with his or her own lives. Rest assured, however, you will find a friend who will be there for you, and you will never truly be alone. Open your eyes to the people in your life and look for someone who you can depend on. Most of all, return the favor! When someone goes out on the line for you, you should do the same. Thank the friend(s) who have helped you through rough times and let them know how much you appreciate all they have done, and who they are.
THat was really something long but sensible. THank you for sharing your thoughts. THey are really nice.
I am happy that you read my comments .. Thanks for liking it :)
@meemingNEW (2228)
My definition of a true find is someone who is always there for you through good times and bad times too. Someone who will always be there for you through thick and thin. Especially when you really need someone, that person is there... then thats the time I can say to myself that this person really is a friend.. not just a friend.. but a true one.
That indeed defined a true friend. THanks for the post. Hope to hear more from you.
Thanks for reading my response. :_) and for being one of my friends here. Best of luck to you and more power.
@wdiong (1817)
True and genuine friendship involves a shared sense of caring and concern, a desire to see one another grow and develop, and a hope for each other to succeed in all aspects of life. True friendship involves action: doing something for someone else while expecting nothing in return; sharing thoughts and feelings without fear of judgment or negative criticism.
@jalbeos (1176)
Yeah... it always involves action. Not just listen whenever he/she has problems but help him/her through the way, WITHOUT EXPECTING ANY RETURN. I like that phrase, I want it to be my lifestyle; doing something for good to someone without expecting any return, isn't that hard? It is hard, believe me or not! ~mar
I believe that we are never a friend with out having concern for the person. Thanks for your definition.
A true friend continues to love me despite my mistakes or flaws and limitations, who cares for my welfare, who is not afraid to speak for what is right and for his beliefs, who gives me a hug or a shoulder to cry on when I feel down and who is there for me in my misery,every trouble, ache or pain. To put all into one word, I would describe and call him an "angel" sent by God to bear life.
your right there
A true friend Will tell you the truth even when you don't want to hear it they will love you with all your faults and humanness will stand by you even when your wrong and you will do the same for them
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
very true, agree with u
A true friend is someone who will be there for you weahter you ask for help or not . Someone who will take the time for you out of his or her busy life just to see how you are . Someone who you never have to fear will repeat what you have to tell them and someone who understands who you are even when you don't know how to explain something to them . A true friend will take your good with your bad without expecting you to change . The difference between a true friend and just a friend is that you always feel comfortable with , you never have to fear that you will offend them and you don't have to ever worry about what they are thinking about you . It really is hard explaining what a true friend is as they mean so much to you that words can never explain it all but is more a feeling you have when they are around and the way they make you feel when you talk to them . Someone who even moves miles away from you can still be there for you when you need them and takes the time to show you how important you are to them !!
That was true. Sometimes it is hard to define what a true friend is. Thanks for the post.
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
true friend is the one who's always there for you. she's there to comfort you when you have problems. the one who cheers you up in every life problems. in every trial she's willing to help you. not just for fun but also for problems in life.
THanks for that response. It sure fits the description of a true friend.
@derek_a (10902)
A true friend to me is someone who would support me in what I was doing and I would support him/her in what he/she was doing. A friend is someone I can share anything with, without fear of rejection or ridicule - this would be an unconditional relationship working both ways.
Great choice of the word unconditional.
a true friend is the one that very different from others---you have complete trust on him; you can confide everything to him, you got him the first person to talk to when you're confused or sad. the one that help you go through the trouble, the one that always stay by your side, the one that you can play jokes with.....
thanks for that. It is really nice.
@djmarion (4901)
true friend has different meaning, the way i define it is when the person sees the real awful you but still did not leave you after spanking you hard.
Very simple but great definition of what a true friend is. Thanks.
@miryam (6507)
not are many.....i0m one freiend true......... are one person that help but dont ask nothing..... are real no lie, no change, no ask, and you tell he all you problem...are a few...... bye myry good morning in italy are 07.30 am
You said it right myry. THose are indeed the quality of a true friend.