Trimming your child's nails, how difficult is it for you ?

My baby's nails seem to grow faster than mine. I have a tough time cutting her nails off. Most of the times can't even manage to do it on my own, need her dad to hold her kicking legs. How easy or difficult is this necessary chore for you ?
@gradyslady (4055)
My mom said it wasn't bad, but my aunt said she had a hard time doing it for my cousin, she would kick and scream.
@vinzen (1022)
It used to be an ordeal at first, but we all do learn and find means to cut the nails alright, it alld epends on as to how we go about doing it. I think each one of us would make sure not to hurt our baby , as they half the time dont know whats going on. Earlier one of us used to hold their hands and forceably cut their nails, and that was bad for both of us and my baby, till we discovered that we could do the same thing when they are fast asleep, and ever since that method has suited us. When the childs asleep, thats the best time to cut the nails, just make sure that you are careful and that they arent hurt or dont move around, so keep a firm grip when you cut the nails. I dont think the kids know at all, that we are cutting their nails and its al over within no time, and they dont cry, and its not an ordeal for us too, ever since i tried this method, i have never tried any other way. Of course now my kids are grown up, so there is no problem now.
@moneyandgc (3430)
My 16 month old daughter HATES having her nails cut as well! She throws a huge fit when I try and cut them. I have bitten them off a few times; just a little bite on the edge and then peel it off. Most times I cut one or two at a time. She is calm for one or two nails. Then I stop and do another one or two later until they are all nice and trimmed. I always try to choose a time when she is in a good mood and not tired, otherwise forget it!
@makingpots (11922)
When my son was a baby I would just wait until he was sleeping to do it. If you have a fear of hurting your child with the clippers, they make little manicure scissors for babies. Also, I have friends who will bite their nails off while they are sleeping. My son starting waking up while I was doing it. I think it helped him see that I am not hurting him and now he sits still the best he can while I cut them. Now that he is 3 (almost) my biggest problem is that he wants to 'help'. :-o
@jHoEn16 (2043)
my ten months old son is the same with your baby... his nails grow faster than mine... everytime i try to trim it he wouldnt want me to hold his hand and even his feet... he will keep kicking... so i will give him some toys that will get his attention and then do it!!!! when he moves again i will try to scare him with some sounds... but i suggest better trim it while he is sleeping... you can do it easily...
@tomysole (457)
I have always took it upon myself as the father of two to cut the nails of my boys. The trick is to do it with authority and not let them move their hands. Hold on real tight and they will eventually get the clue and know they can kick and move but either way your going to cut their nails. Once they get used to you being the boss and as long as you don't hurt them then eventually they will be calm. I actually enjoy cutting their nail and feel it bonds us as father and sons.
@Laurla98 (786)
For some reason I have a really hard time with it. So I have my husband do it because for some reason she sits still for him. lol But they have come out with baby clippers that have a magnifying glass over them so you can see the nails better. I was thinking about getting a pair, but they were about $4.00.
@CatClaws (115)
hi serenidity, i have a fool proof method to cutting babies nails...bite them off. my peditrician told me when my first child was born that the easiest way to trim babies under 18 months of age is to bite them with your teeth all the way across. don't bite one edge and then pull it off, bite all the way across. it is very easy to clip skin when trying to use fingernail clippers(even baby clippers), so i have always used my teeth to trim my babies. and then i would take an emery board and file them smooth across, usually just one of two swipes across does it. they always enjoyed this because it tickles to them. oh and when they got a little older i used the small baby clippers and clipped their nails while they were asleep. you could try that now if you don't want to try the biting method. wait till she is good asleep and clip them then. just a thought. hope you find a solution that fits your situation.
It's not that difficult for me now but when the kids were younger, my oldest two used to scream and cry and I NEVER hurt them so I don't know why they were scared. Now they're older so it doesn't bother them. My 2 year old, it doesn't bother him at all. My middle son now bites his nails all the time. I don't know how to get him to stop, I haven't had cut his nails in years.