101 reasons to go vegetarian

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
This one is for the vegetarians out there, lets try to get to 101 reasons - no fair peeking at my link! BTW, have you heard how Native Americans used to approach killing for meat - they would honour the spirit of the one they killed and thank them for giving up their lives for us. I'll start: 1. Healthy - Risk of death from heart attack by average American man: 50% Risk of death from heart attack by average American vegetarian man: 15% Risk of death from heart attack by average American purely vegetarian man: 4% 2. Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times Do you know someone with breast cancer - do you know that age and genetics can influence you but not determine you? http://www.flex.com/~jai/articles/101.html Look here to win any argument against a meateater - health, survival, ethics - whatever they throw at you.... http://www.vegsource.com/how_to_win.htm http://www.crescentlife.com/dietnutrition/food_realities.htm
@Foxxee (3653)
My dad has heart problems. His doctor told him a nice juicy steak would be good for him at least 3 times a month. Not eating meat also has its tolls. To each their own. But I love meat and so do many others and I don't think meat hurts anyone if people eat the right amount. To much of anything isn't good, even for vegetarians.
• Abernathy, Texas
Well okay great reply and true - but this discussion was for vegetarians - which I'm actually not - or those that know about it - to add up 101 reasons to be vegetarian. I'm wondering today if people are reading my discussions or just the title. :(
• Abernathy, Texas
Oh and as for blandness my mom is a vegetarian and makes food from all over the world - delicious stuff - well mostly some - is totally yucky. She has never made bland tasteles food. Wow and she is healthy as a horse as are al the vegetarians I know. At 73 her doctors figure her age more around 55 health wise.
@Foxxee (3653)
No, I read the discussion, not just the topic. I do apologize, I did get off topic. :)
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Ok I got this from some show that wason last night. I'm not sure that it made much sensewithin the context of who she is and the point she was trying to make BUT here it is anyway... #3 (I think)- Factory farming, which produces a lot of our consumable meat, are not environmentally friendly...gases are releasrd from the animals and their umm byprodcts, land must be cleared of trees for the farm to be built, the waste must go somewhere, acres of land are being devoted to growing the food to feed these animals at a poor return..it was mentioned that for ever 16 pounds of corn we grow, we only get 1 pound of meat...not to mention the simple cruelty of that kind of farming
• Abernathy, Texas
Totally is in context! Okay on to number 4 - not you - your number 3 was great!
• Abernathy, Texas
Hey thanks for sharing, I do think its terrible when places will hire immigrants for lower wages just because they can! Especially when illegal. If they do the work and do it well, they should be paid equally. And because they're willing - or forced to take less, that crowds out citizens who can't live on the criminal wages they're paid. We won't count that one just because its a bit touchy - thanks for sharing though.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I totally agree about not coounting it. Besides it's only my personal reason for boycotting one particular company not a reason for everyone to boycot the entire meat industry.
@sandwedge (1341)
yay vegetarian! i wish i am not meat-eater and not vegetarian but am like that guy(or was it a woman) that was in the news who claimed to live off only air.
• Abernathy, Texas
Thanks sandwedge I guess no vegetarians wanted to play. I only got three reasons in my hopes to get 101. Do you want to participate in this discussion and give a reason to go vegetarian? Even thugh you're a breathatarian!
@sandwedge (1341)
maybe its not that vegetarian are not willing to partake in the conversation, but lack of vegetarians in mylot! LOL!
This is an interesting and what can often turn into an inflammatory discussion....believe me! I've been on both sides of the question of vegetarianism and there is more to it than the moral and ethical reasons many people tout. As a health consultant and life coach...I am here to tell you that some people's metabolisms are simply not meant to be vegetarians. Some blood types have tried to switch to strict vegetarianism...and have ended up sick...because their systems either could not break down the combinations of lentils, beans, soy rice, tofu...etc and their muscles started wasting away or becoming weak and flaccid. Protein is the building block of cells...and if there are not enough of the amino acids and complete proteins in food...no matter how 'pure' the source may be...people can and do run into trouble. I've had clients with low blood sugar problems (hypoglycemia) and their health took a nose-dive when they went on a strict vegetarian diet...same thing with those suffering from MS or other neurological disorders. So I think for those who have a metabolism that can handle the complex carboydrates and combine their lentils, rice and beans to make a complete protein...go for it. I am not impressed by statistics of any kind because those who gather them tend to focus on whatever angle that will make their case convincing. When people make dietary changes of any kind...they will see changes. The stats for some of these things do not investigate whether the improved health ratios include other lifestyle changes they may have made. I am always concerned about people saying that everything is right for everyone. In my work I have seen people who are vegetarians go down hill...and meat eaters improve when they take a whole person approach to their life. Health is not only determined by what we eat...there is genetics, attitude, spirituality, exercise, meditation...balanced living. So in my view...vegetarianism has its place...but not to say it is an absolute magic bullet for everyone. Each person is unique...with different sets of circumstances and genetic makeup that work or do not work for them. In the work we do...we encourage people to find out what their bodies need...eat all things in moderation...do not obsess or get hung up about food, weight, body-image..because compulsive, fixated thinking may kill you faster than anything you put in your mouth... it drains your life force away. Now I am only expressing experiences in the health and wellness field..and I've been doing this for over 15 years and am not pulling false ideas out of my head. I could site countless examples of this because we run Body Dynamics courses and have clients on file. This is where I drew my observations over the years I know for sure that no diet, lifestyle, belief, attitude or anything else will fit all the people all the time. We are all unique individuals and the best way to thrive rather than survive...is to figure out who you are and what your body needs. Sorry...it could be meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese...or it could be beans, lentils, rice, soy, tofu...but one way or the other...it has to be good sources of protein. Choose what is best for your body-type is something that has a proven track record in my many years of experience.