Momentos

@miamilady (4924)
My children are back in school and I am now organizing my house. I let it go for serveral months. During the summer I didn't see the point. The kids were home and would mess things up as quickly as I would pick it up and I was too busy referring their fights. Toward the end of the school year I was volunteering at their schools during the day. I did the basic cleaning and such. I'm just talking about the piles of paperwork, the clothes that need to be donated to goodwill, the board games that will never be used, the books they've outgrown... And the momentos. The stuff they made in pre-school that is collecting dust. The little outfits they wore when they were babies. I just had to throw a few things away. A little clay palmtree that my son made.It was broken and half and full of dust and he has long since forgotten about it. Also, a mosaic of some sort that one of them made out of tiny crumbled up tissue paper. The dust is never gonna come out of that one. I still have tons of my daughters artwork from preschool. I truly thought the kid was talented. Now when she sees one of her works of art, she says to me. "Mom. You lied. Why did you tell me I was a good artist??" lol Okay, so I was blinded by motherly love. We can't keep everything forever. What things do you still hold on to? Do you feel a pang of regret when it's time to get rid of things from your childrens younger years? Do you still keep things from your own childhood?
@williamjisir (22903)
Yes, whenever the children are at home for the summer vacation or even on some weekends when the children are at home to have a rest, they would usually get the house messed up. Then it will take you a long time to place them in good order again. I have a four-year-old niece who makes my house very messed up whenever she comes to visit and we have a lot of work to do like mopping the floor, cleaning the table and sofa, which really takes much of our time. But anyway it is only a small child. It is the same for many families to encounter this. lol
@cher913 (25890)
i do keep some stuff from my girls when they were little. i dont have much because as you stated, it is easy to let stuff pile up. i actually spent saturday cleaning up quite a bit as my kids are going back to school tomorrow. my eldest is going to highschool so that will be a change. i am an only child and yes, my mom kept some of my stuff which i still have!
@dbhattji (2507)
It is difficult to throw away something that hold a lot of memories, but with limited space in our homes we have to do that, but I still like to keep a thing or two from my childhood.
maybe my discussion is have good choice for you, i think i can help you, you can have to artist at weekend at mall maybe or other place, if you can't do it, i don't know
@wiccania (3360)
I have a stack about a foot high of things my son has drawn, painted or made the past couple of years. I need to go through it all. My original plan was to sort it into 3 piles: me, grandma and grammy. Then laminate it all and put it into 3-ring binders. So I could have some and each of his grandmothers could have some. Now I'm thinking that I just need to go through it all and decide what to keep and what not to. It's boxed up at the moment, so it's not in the way, but it still needs to be dealt with. Especially since he's going to be bringing home more this year.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Only tried to keep the first things they did each year but a tornado got them so it I find any thing I have kept ot salvaged I keep it . Thats me a pure packrat as my daughter calls me lol
Throw things away? Oh that is what you are suppose to do with it. I am a pack rat.I have most of my momentos in storage.The only things I throw out are things that I don't want or i donate clothes that I will never wear again.Suggestion. If you have a digital camera, yake a picture of your favs and you will always have them, so if you have to throw the actual item because you need more room, you will still have it in a picture.
@miamilady (4924)
I heard that suggestion once and I did it once. I think it was something she made with a shoebox. Thanks.
@laydee (12814)
clip-art baby - a good doodle of a baby
I agree. Scan the artworks or take a photo from your digital cam. This way, there would be a lot of space left in your home plus of course, you could easily organize things as to how old they did the art. You could even make a photo album if you want, both online and offline.
@jillhill (37383)
My kids are 37, 35, and 29. I still have a few of their work sheets from elementary school. But two years ago I did a scrapbook for each of them with alot of their school stuff in them......they all loved them and now their mementos are safe and sound behind acid free pages. I also kept their baptism outfits. My daughters have theirs, I still have my sons. But someday maybe his daughter will want it!
@laydee (12814)
baby clothes - clothes for the babies
That's just really cute. *LOL* How did you mange to keep all those memorabilia all these years? I also have kept several of my own school stuff way back when I was still in my primary years. It's really good to see these things after a few years. But now-a-days it's mostly photos which I have saved and my family have saved. Not much on stuffs anymore.
@pismeof (855)
Like you Miami,I've kept a lot of things like paper work since my boy was in pre-school.I don't know how to get rid of it.HELP!! I suppose the best thing would be to choose only a few items from each successive year and dump the rest. I've kept every Report Card,the Clay pencil holder,the Bird House, Achievement Certificates,Pinewood Derby cars, You name it, I've got it .All collecting dust or taking up precious real estate within the house. Maybe when he becomes famous and some one wants to do a biography they'll have plenty of ammo...hahaha
@laydee (12814)
As for the paperworks, you could actually scan them all up or take a digital photo of such and then store it in your hard drive or online. But of course, try to keep the original if you could. If you store it online, you'll have more space at home and your kid could browse it with you online. I do that with my brother's artworks (paintings, drawings, etc.) this way, I don't have to cling to pieces of paper which would only accumulate dirt and may even be a good fire-starter. Good luck. I know it must be pretty tough for moms to throw away a child's art work but well, we just can't keep everything forever. =)
@gradyslady (4055)
My dad had no problem with throwing our things away right after we were done with them. He said there was no need to keep any of it around. The only thing I have left from my childhood, because I want part from it, is my baby blanket.
@andyliuzn (991)
What an interesting story! My mum also keeps same kind of things though I didn't want to keep it at all.Now after reading your story, I understand more about my mum's behavior now. Well, when I get a child in future, I also want to keep some Momentos of his/her, but I would mostly keep it in a DV:) With kind regards, Andy
Yes, I do still have artwork from when I was a child. It reminds me how much I have grown. And, it lets me know that my own little girl won't be little for long. I can still remember drawing some of the art work and marvel at my very childish attempts to communicate through art. But, it is still a nice memory. As far as kid's memories and art work go, keep them as long as you want. You can always buy a new container specially for their creative works. You may throw them out now cause they are broken, but you are really throwing out the memories. I know it doesn't seem that way, but twenty years from now, you might struggle to remember the little things they did. At least, I am that way. When my daughter was a baby, I swore that I would remember every moment. But, I cannot now. Fortunately, I kept a lot of video and pictures. For instance, I have her first steps on video and that is precious to me. As far as her art work goes, I have been guilty of throwing that away, because so far her art work is just scribbles and circles and such. Lately, I have felt guilty over throwing the art away. Perhaps I will start keeping them. You never know. I might miss them later.
My son is only 15 months old so he hasn't made anything yet. He does color on paper and I hang it on the fridge. I don't have anything that I made as a kid but my mom still has some of the stuff my brother and I made.
@sumimasen (644)
I have a lot of items that I think might be worthwhile to keep, just little trinkets: baseball cards, old toys, comics, pictures, videotapes, and all sorts of homework and scribblings. I'd like to think that there's some worth to it besides sentiment and pocket change.
I hate having things around the house that I am not going to use anymore and try to get rid of it right away if I can . I do get upset when I have to get rid of something the children had when they were younger as it reminds me that there will never be a use for it anymore as they are growing older and I am not going to have any more children . I hang onto anything that I have sentimental value for though and try to fit it all into scrapbooks I have made for them for when they are older . This way I can keep some of the memories alive and they can see how important they were to me when they have families of their own and I am not as big a part of their lives . I don't have anything left from when I was younger as our house burned to the ground when I was in grade four and after we moved , I left on not so good terms with my mother and didn't take anything with me . Her and my dad split up and ended in divorce and everything was gotten rid of so there is nothing left from when I was younger . Although it doesn't bother me that I don't have anything from when I was younger , I would have liked to have had a few pictures to share with my children and to compare how much they look , or don't look like myself .