Anyone ever taken or currently taking Effexor XR for Anxiety?

@jovimom (1576)
My doctor gave me samples of this drug and I'm only on my 3rd day. Just was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Nothing else I've tried has really worked for my anxiety/irritability Thanks!
@wotfpatty (2068)
My two sisters and father were. It worked fine for my father as far as I could tell (no side effects but he was still a meanie, but old). It worked quite well for my older sister and she only got off because her doctor thought Cymbalta would be better for her aches and pains. My younger sister gained a lot of weight but she felt better. She is now on 1/2 the dose and her weight is going down and she feels OK but not as good as she did before. She may end up on something else but Effexor XR works pretty well for her compared to Paxil and Lexapro which she didn't get good results from. I don't take any although I probably should. I am afraid of medicine and would rather feel crappy then crappy from medicine. Crazy but true. Good luck. You never know how it will work for you until you give it a couple of months. Since this is a different type of antidepressant and it targets several receptors and not just seratonin, this could be the answer for you if others didn't work. :)
@wotfpatty (2068)
I wanted to add that all three had anxiety as well as depression. All three are/were also on Xanax though but needed much less when on Effexor XR so it helps with anxiety and depression in some people.
@jovimom (1576)
Thank-you so much! I hope I don't start gaining weight though, I weigh enough already, lol! Thanks for responding, so far so good with this medicine, I don't know that it has really had time to get into my system good yet though Have a good day!