A new generation of party crashers

I was just reading an article in the newspaper this morning about "Facebook Crashers". It seems that a 24 year old local guy, bored with clubs, decided to scan Facebook's events section for something else to do. He found a listing for a house party -- complete with address, map AND directions. He gathered up a few of his friends and they crashed the party. He says that everyone that was there was looking at everyone else, trying to figure out if anyone knew these guys. He said the reception at first was "tepid" but then, when they said how they got there, people were actually intrigued and thought it was funny. They never expected that strangers would show up - only friends! Can you believe that? Anyway, these guys are now regularly looking for parties to crash via Facebook listings and it seems there are some groups that are devoted to this activity (reminding me of the movie "Wedding Crashers"!!) and they even post about where they've crashed. Personally, I think someone is not thinking the least bit clearly if they post the address, map and directions to their home online but, if they are going to take that chance, people like the Crashers may well show up - not to mention a whole host of other people whose intentions are MUCH less "sociable". What do you think of this? Do you ever wonder why people don't think about just how many others are reading their personally identifying information online?
@cutepenguin (6457)
I don't worry about saying things like that I'm from Canada, and I think I've probably given clues about where in Canada I'm from, but I try to avoid anything like my birthday or the city I'm from. I cannot believe people would put their address on the internet. It just seems like asking for trouble.
Hi cutepenguin :) I, too, give out what country I'm from (another Canuck here! LOL). I think that's really general information and also, as adults, we make different decisions about what we consider acceptable versus what we might insist on for young people. I agree that putting an address online, and thinking only the people who have been "friended" in a group or profile are going to see it, is taking an unnecessary risk.
@rhinoboy (2129)
We had several items on the news in the past couple of months in the UK of teenagers putting their details on facebook etc as you say, then crashers turning up and creating tens of thousands of punds worth of damage. I too, can't believe how ignorant people can be of the reach of the internet. The best 'rule of thumb' is that if you wouldn't walk through a city centre with it on a banner and shouting through a megaphone, then don't post it online! I was just reading a friends discussion here on mylot about looking forward to their birthday. About 5 people so far hav egiven away their date of birth! What's funny is that it isn't even necessary to give details. People are giving away dangerous info for the sake of conversation!
Hi rhinoboy! You are SO right! I know a few people who, for example, frantically teach their kids and teens never to give out their real name online. What they forget are things like the name of their town, their school, the name of their sports team (and even what position they play!), the location of their extra-curricular activities (like dance schools, theater groups, martial arts classes, etc). Anyone with less than honorable intentions can spend a bit of time putting together these details to locate a person off-line. I like your image of walking around with a banner and megaphone! It really does put it in an easy-to -imagine framework!
I think that's a bit scary. I would never post all that info online for everyone to read. Maybe it taught the people having the party a lesson.
Teens and twentysomethings don't seem to have any common sense when it comes to posting online. I am always on my oldest son about it- I don't want personal info online ever. What scares me are these young kids on Myspace, talking about what school they go to and posting pics of themselves. It's not hard for a creep to track them down. I love technology, but what a scary world we live in..