Have you ever gone through? It's driving me crazy.

@kbkbooks (7028)
My husband does not understand the meaning of BUDGET. Since he is retired and I am disabled, we are living on fixed income, government pensions. Every first of the month, we check the bank balance and write down all the bills and see what we can afford to pay. After I figure it all out, it would seem we are short of money to live on. Somehow, however, we end up having money for all kinds of little extras over the month. I break my back trying to conserve and save and yet hubby seems to have all kinds of extras. I don't know where his money is coming from. It's sure not in our bank account. He's home most of the time so I don't think he's out doing anything illegal. HAHA. Maybe I should just shut up and consider myself blessed.
@suspenseful (40316)
It does not look like he will change. Have you checked to see if he went onto any gambling sites, or seen if he is buying lottery ticketes? You cannot go and scrimp and go without and if there are no things coming into the house, such as tools,etc. Tell him that somehow he is spending too much money on little things and that has got to stop. Tell him that we will not buy any pocket books, Dvds on his sports heros, that if there is any extra spending it will be for something that is necessary - and entertainment and sports momentos are luxuries. Also find a way to make extra money online.
@kbkbooks (7028)
We are getting a little better about the budget, he's a little more disciplined since I've written this. He doesn't gamble or drink. He doesn't even use the computer. Right now we are seeking government financial aid in his mother's name for her new nursing home. It will be for her and will go directly to the home so he won't have any reason to have it as extra spending money. Last few months we have been setting down and writing out the whole income/expense budget. Last month we actually did have money for a few extra groceries above the food bank stuff. That was nice. I see a light at the end of the tunnel.
@dmillman (2273)
Well, I'm not sure if this is the type of answer that you're looking for but...........this is what my hubby and I do, and it works for us. We both started with seperate accounts (checking/savings, etc.) When we got engaged we opened up joint checking and savings accounts and continue to keep our own. We each have our own budgets to deal with. We split the bills and the grocery shopping. I pay the cell phone/DSL/landline bill and the electric and he pays the gas bill (it even out in the end). As far as grocery shopping, we keep a list on the fridge then I make THE list before WE go shopping. One week I buy, the next week he buys. We always stick to the list. But, if there's something that we forgot to put on the list we ask the other person if it's OK to get it and that's that. We've been doing this for about 7-8 years and the only time we ever had any problems with it was last month when I ended up in the hospital when a bunch of my bills needed to be paid. But, I've got a way around that, in which I'm working on right now for me. We'll have to come up with something for him, just in case... I hope that this is helpful to you! Please keep us all posted of what happens next!
@kbkbooks (7028)
Thanks for these suggestions. I have tried suggesting them to hubby. He's never going to change.... (sigh)
@limcyjain (3523)
No fortunately we have not have had to pass through such a situation. I would suggest that you maintain a dairy and see where the money is coming from and where it is going. At the end of the month discuss it with your husband and try to figure out where you can save together for your future. We actually practice this and found that we were spending too much on medicines. Then we changed our eating habits and now our bills are almost negligent on this front.
@kbkbooks (7028)
I do right everything down but hubby never keeps any records of what he spends. Then we go update the bankbook and I see he's made all these random withdrawals at the ATM. grr...MEN.
@KrisNY (7591)
Wow--- extra money and neither have jobs- Retired and disabled—I’d be thankful! It’s hard to stick to a budget—I know that- You have extra money too- right—these sites pay a little- It’s always nice to have a bit extra to spend on yourself once in a while. My sig. other is great at budgeting and saving money!
@kbkbooks (7028)
The whole point of my post is that money is very tight and there is NO extra, at least according to the household budget which is both incomes minus all expenses. We don't even go for a regular order of groceries because we don't have the money. We use the foodbank and just get incidentals like milk and bread at the store. Somehow though, hubby always manages to pull out extra spending money for his son or if he wants a cup of coffee for himself. We ARE more than thankful for the things we do have. I would just like to know WHERE those extras come from when I am struggling and never have a dime in my pocket, yet hubby has all kinds of spending money and I know he isn't doing anything illegal for it.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
My husband is the only one working right now. We don't have very many bills to pay, and one of them we're about to pay off, another we only pay every six months. We spend and we save as well. We don't save as much as I wish we could be saving, but that is mostly my fault because I am the woman behind the keyboard. I could be earning more, and that is one thing I am trying to do this month. We save by using our debit card, which draws one dollar from checking to savings every time we use it. Then we also save by doubling up on that one bill I was talking about which will be paid off this month. When we double up, we have more money to spend or save. My husband balances the checkbook. We have checking and savings account. When we make any purchases we figure out what money we have and how we can make the purchase and pay our bills.
My hubby just does not understand budget. I tell him all the time how our money is going and he will never understand. I just control the budget and I tell him when to spend and when to not.