What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in your kitchen?

United States
September 8, 2007 3:43am CST
The other day I was washing off the surface of my George Foreman grilling machine, after making hamburgers and the lid slammed down so fast that I barely had time to jerk my hand out of the way. Almost had my own knuckles sandwich! Guess I shouldn't really be surprised. I'm kind of clumsy in the kitchen anyway, so I should have seen that one coming. There's not one day that I can leave the kitchen without some minor knick or burn. So, I try to stay out of the kitchen as often as possible. So, what's the dumbest thing you've ever done in your kitchen? Have you ever left the stove-eye on over-night and found out in the morning? Do you have more accidents in the kitchen than any other room of your home?
2 people like this
16 responses
@peanutjar (5251)
• Canada
8 Sep 07
The dumbest thing i did in my kitchen was one time i was mixing some cake mix with my handheld blender.I went to reach for the spatulua which my daughter moved from my reach,accidently pulled the blender out of the dish too much on high speed and cake mix flew on the ceiling,stove,cupboards and every where that it could of.What a mess!!Cake mix hanging off the ceiling!Now i have my spatulua stuck in my pocket when im making a cake!lol.:)
• United States
8 Sep 07
I've heard that can happen, but never done if myself.
• United States
8 Sep 07
I did probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life, as far as kitchen accident go, just last week. I was washing dishes and we have this razor sharp very heavy professional type butcher knife, and my hubby keeps it razor sharp at all times. So to say the least I'm super careful when I see it in the sink. Well, I washed it and went to hang it up in the knife holder we have on the wall above the sink and I put the darn thing in backwards so as soon as I took my hand away, it fell out. Like a complete idiot, definitely not thinking, I reached out to catch it! Fortunately I didn't catch it but the blade hit the back of my thumb and I got a real nice cut out of it. To say the least I cussed myself and called myself a complete idiot.. I deserved it. LOL
1 person likes this
• United States
8 Sep 07
Oh, my goodness! I hope you're OK. That sounds like something I would have done. I am sure it was just an impulse reaction, not something at all you could have stopped. When I was a little kid, I accidentally dropped a big glass bowl and it shattered within inches of my hands. I had to get 13 stitches on my middle finger. I've never seen so much blood in my life. I couldn't feel my finger for a long time. Now the feeling is mostly back. But, the scar is with me forever.
@TerryZ (22147)
• United States
8 Sep 07
I think the dumbest thing Ive done in the kitchen would be trying to open a can when the can opener is not plugged in.LOL Or toasting some toast and its not plugged in. LOL
• United States
8 Sep 07
I've done that before too -- start cooking the meat for enchiladas and not turn the stove on. lol
@Debs_place (10551)
• United States
2 Oct 07
One year, my son wanted me to make roasted chestnuts and chestnut stuffing for Thanksgiving. Well I went to the local produce store and got some chestnuts, I asked them about roasting them - how long and at what temp in the oven. They told me. I went home and on Thanksgiving morning, did just what they said. Well I took the chestnut out of the oven...and about a minute later..they stated exploding..all over the kitchen. I had no idea that yoi needed to cut a slit in them. Live and learn I guess.
• Australia
12 Sep 07
Well the dumbest thing I did in the kitchen one day was mixing up my spices. It was early in the morning and I had no sleep the night before - oh the joys of motherhood - and I knew that my hubby had not slept well either so I thought I would make him bacon and eggs. I often sprinkle a little nutmeg on the eggs while they are cooking but in my half awake state I grabbed the cinnamon instead and without realising I had the wrong spice I liberally sprinkled it allllll over hubbies bacon and eggs. Being proud that I had made him a scrumptious breaky I carried them in for breakfast in bed and was going on about how lovely they would be. So I watched eagerly while he took his first mouthful wanting to see him enjoy his food..... and he put it in his mouth and his face changed... not into a smile like I thought but into a grimace and then a frown and then he gagged a little and appologised before spitting out his mouthful. Funnilly enough I got upset by this and it turned into a little tiff about me feeling he didn't appreciate my effort etc etc *tries not to remember her own silly behaviour!* and I cried as I threw the eggs and bacon dramatically into the bin. A little of the egg brushed my finger and without thinking I licked it off and tasted the cinnamon and put two and two together. I ended up giggling like crazy trying to explain what had happened to hubbies poor breakfast with the tears of my silly anger still rolling down my face..... boy did I feel dumb!
@Nardz13 (5060)
• New Zealand
12 Sep 07
Hi there. I think the dumbest thing I ever done in my grandmas kitchen was to offer my family a hot drink and put salt in all there drinks instead of sugar lol...
@tad1fan (3373)
• Canada
10 Sep 07
I am totally accident prone when it comes to the kitchen...I can't cook a meal or make a piece of toast without burning myself.....my biggest fault is leaving the stove on after using it
• United States
9 Sep 07
The dumbest thing I ever did in a kitchen was....more horrible than dumb. But still dumb! I had just made a full 12 cup pot of coffee and I had taken the carafe out of the coffee maker to pour a cup. My husband and I were arguing at the time and without thinking I slammed the carafe onto the counter as I was "making a point". The carafe literally exploded! Glass and hot coffee went everywhere, all over us and even up to the ceiling. It was an awful mess, and VERY DUMB. I'll never make that mistake again! Owie
• United States
9 Sep 07
I turned on the wrong burner with a cover on it at 3 in the morning.I was trying to feed my daughter her bottle and warm up the milk.I had to flip the cover off with a butter knife and then go and wake my parents up.
• United States
9 Sep 07
I almost put a metal fork in the toaster to get toast out but somebody stop me before I did it. I didn't know metal could conduct electricity back then.
@theprogamer (10543)
• United States
8 Sep 07
When I was 6, 7, 8 (basically a kid when cooking) half the time I would leave the stove on. The oven was no problem, but from time to time I'd leave the stove on. More of it was due to me wanting to sit down to dinner, the other part of it was the height issue (the controls are at the top, it was hard to see and manage at times). Nowadays the dumbest things involve misplacing spices (I do it often). One time I found the sage in the Den. (Yea yea...I know)
@carlaabt (3509)
• United States
8 Sep 07
When I was in junior high I cut a small piece off my pointer finger. It was about as long as the finger nail, and sloped in towards the nail, so that I actually cut a piece of the nail off, too. I did it when I was cutting up a hot dog. I didn't realize I had cut it so bad, until I started washing it off, and realized that I was looking at the bone. I went in to tell my mom, and she told me to put a bandaid on it because she was busy helping my sister. lol Once she saw how bad I was bleeding, she helped me. My sister fed the part of my finger to the cat! She said she couldn't find it, so she threw it all out for the cat. Just today, my husband started to grab the oven rack when he was putting something in there. I was like "Carl!!" and he stopped like an inch or two away. It was scary!
• United States
8 Sep 07
Mine will always be forgetting that I'm cooking something, if I'm designing a website, posting on a forum or a blog or playing video games. That food is going to be black when I remember about it. Same goes for my tea, I always forget that I'm making it and then have to throw the bags out and start over. As for accidents, I've sliced my hand open, slipped and busted my butt because of the dog's water being spilled on the floor and stepped on glass way too many times to count.
@ajyukie15 (217)
• United States
8 Sep 07
i cant really forget my experience in the kitchen. when i just came here in US we used to live with old man my husband friend i was frying chicken always and trow the oil in the sink and then one day the old man showed me the sink it was stocked up!!!!grrrr he told me it was my fault!!!he said maybe im trowing stuff in the sink and yes i did hahahaha.
@lilaclady (28277)
• Australia
8 Sep 07
I was cleaning the top of my gas stove with Domestos and some leaked down where the turn on knob is and flames shot out, frightened the heck out of me, when I think how close I came to burning my house down it turned me off cleaning so I think it is safer for me to just stay on Mylot..hahahahahahh
@venshida (4839)
• United States
8 Sep 07
I took the grill parts off my George Foreman grill and forget they were off turned the darn thing on without the grill.