Anti-perspirant and Alzheimer's

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
Did you know that high amounts of aluminum have been found in the brains and systems of those with Alzheimer's. Although the cause of this disease is unknown as yet, several studies point to environmental factors - including aluminum to have an affect. Aluminum is is a widely recognized nerve toxin. It suggested that you avoid, anti-perspirants with this as an ingredients - you can go to a natural health food stores and find deodorants such as Tom's as an alternative. Avoid aluminum in cookware - or cracked non-stick cookware - go for stainless steel or crockery instead. Aluminum cans should be avoided as well. Try drinking your soda out of bottle instead. Funny to say that - avoid one toxin by drinking your cup of sugar and caffiene in another container. Avoid Mylanta and Maylox for your stomach as they also contained a form of aluminum - try Tums instead - it has calcium! Although I like my calcium in the form of chocolate - Viactiv! Yum! We're years away from a definitive answer but scientists are working towards trying to target the source of this debilitating and life changing illness and they have compelling evidence that points to aluminum as an environmental factor in causing it. I think I'd rather live with the inconvenience of not using these products then deal with this devasting disease. How bout you? Did you know about this? I first learned about it in Anatomay and Physiology class in Massage School! I also learned about the nice dust mites in unwashed sheets - but it hasn't changed the frequency which I change them. However, this aluminum thing certainly made me rethink some everyday products.
@pyewacket (44032)
I haven't used anything aluminum for a long time..I haven't used anti-perspirants for ages and instead get regular men's stick deodorant...I haven't used any aluminum cookware since god knows when but use stainless steel,enamel, or iron cookware...as for any kind of digestive problems..which I don't get often thank goodness,but when I do just reach for some baking soda, or fix up fennel tea. Since I don't drink soda..no problem there..hehe Uh---do have the same problem as you though...I know about dust mites but I'm a bit slack in changing sheets as well...LOL
• Abernathy, Texas
Pyewacket - how thorough. Why men's deodorant? So smart to use baking soda and fennel tea for digestive problems - which your rarely have - knock wood. As you can likely tell from past discussions, I'm all for natural cures. Baking soda, like vinegar is a wonder item to have around the house - so many uses! I think you may have contributed to my discussion about sheets!
@pyewacket (44032)
The men's stick deodorants,like the Mennen brands or good old Old Spice are the only ones not "anti-perspirant" just the solid stick without it...hey and they smell good too :)
• Abernathy, Texas
Wait Pye - oh my god - I've totally missed something all this time - are you a male cat?
@agnescav (566)
I have known about that for a while. What I recently heard is that a sudden unexplained weight loss happens about twenty years before Alzheimer's symptoms begin. I don't know if there is an actual study linked to this or if it is a casual observance.
• Abernathy, Texas
Oh good agnescav I'm in no danger then - lol.
@bhappy2 (327)
Yes aluminium is one of the things that are suspected of causing Alzheimers and I personally avoid it as much as possible. While doing a course in the management of people with dementia they said that there was an abnormally high incidence of Alzheimers where bauxite (which is where aluminium comes from) is mined. Do you use aluminium foil?
• Abernathy, Texas
I'd like to say no, not since learning of this in class in 2005 but yes, at times I do. I think I put it on my list...up there....
@sylvia13 (1851)
• Nelson Bay, Australia
I was talking to my sister, who lives in Australia, about my 14 year old son's body odour. She recommended Crystal Deo, which one can get in health food shops. She offered to mail me one if I couldnt find it in Austria, but I found it straight away, not in a health food place, but the normal DM, which is the place where one buys cleaning things. I tried the Crystal Deo this morning and I must say that I like it and will switch to it. It is odorless and is not sticky like some deodorants. One only has to wet the Crystal and then apply it to the underarm. It feels soft and the best part of it is that there are no chemicals!
• Abernathy, Texas
I suggested Tom's in my discussion but I'll try this one too - if its here - are you in America? I like that its fragrance free - as many fragrances give me a headache. Its my biggest trigger - I can be walking along having a great headache free day then I walk past someone wearing alot of perfume or forget and walk in the Hallmark store or go to the Mall which has kiosks and shops full of fragrances - some large department stores will spray you as you walk by and should be sued - some people have asthma rendering this simple act deadly. I haven't been in a department store in awhile so I don't know if its still done. Anyway, Crystal sounds great - non sticky, no odour - and best of all - no chemicals! Oh what does DM stand for?
• Abernathy, Texas
I will certainly look for it!
• Atlantic City, New Jersey
My aunt, who passed last year at 98 suffered from this terrible disease and I just recently signed up to walk for Alzheimer's. I never knew about the info you provided and thank you greatly for sharing it as I will change some of my own habits from now on as well :)
• Abernathy, Texas
I think its great that you're doing your part. I think its also beneficial to keep your mind active and engaged, keep burning new pathways. Mom is 73 and very sharp still. She plays scrabble every day, and has daily crossword puzzles, she reads always and she holds Discovery Groups where she and the group discover something new every two weeks - whoever's turn it is will research it and bring it a speaker sometimes - like once it was on the Amish and they brought in a professor who was regularly invited to Amish gatherings in Ohio where they are - one time it was Buddhism and they brought in my sister who is in training to be a Buddhist Monk - Japanese Buddhism. There were a lot of pre-conceived notions on both of these groups. They have art groups and discussion groups and yarnspinners - where they sit and crochet or knit and spin yarns - tell stories. I think continuing education is good too and plan to take classes forever! Thanks for doing your part!
@alindahaw (1219)
Sounds scary. We seem to be getting a lot of toxic products these days. It's really very frustrating how the quality of our lives could deteriorate because the things that we thought to be good for out bodies suddenly become toxic!
@anniepa (27246)
Thanks so much for that info. I couldn't agree more about it being worth making a few lifestyle changes to hopefully avoid having to deal with such a horrible disease later on. For the record, I'd also heard about the dust mites in sheets - not to mention our mattresses - but I haven't been changing them any more often either. Now if I could actually SEE those creepy little critters... Annie
• Abernathy, Texas
I so agree - if I could actually see those critters - I would change my weeks twice a week - as someone wrote in my discussion about the frequency of changing sheets. Ewness. But you know - out of sight - out of mind.
@suspenseful (40316)
I have trouble getting a deodorant or antiperspirant that does not contain perfumes, let alone one with no aluminum. I do only use it every two days, but since I do not have that much money, and my husband pays for the grocery shopping, I will have to stick with it. I do not like to stink to high heaven. I do have a heavy aluminum colander, so I have to replace it with a stainless steel colander. It is amazing how much the stuff we use is actually dangerous. I guess that is another warning next to Trans Fat, that I should watch out for. Now I have to find health food stores in Canada (Manitoba and Ontario) that carry the non-aluminum deoderants.
• Abernathy, Texas
Just to let you know, I too suffer from strong smells - migraine trigger. I have to see what our colanders are made of....hmmm