Are you a magpie or a minimilist? Do you hoard or can you live without?

What to do - No easy solution
How can one house hold so much clutter? I cannot believe just how much*stuff* we have in the house despite clearing out and tidying up. My partner hoards all his old music magazines, currently five crates full in the garage. I seem to have far too many clothes and shoes in the wardrobe, how many T shirts do I really need? The loft is full of boxes and bags of*stuff* and the garage is now so full of clutter and junk that the car has to stay outside. Every time we decide to have a clear out, we find things that we simply cannot part with, so it stays. I have inherited my Dad's collection of books, a massive collection in itself, and his music albums too, an equally large stack of CDs and vinyl. Currently all this is being stored in the hallway and in boxes in the porch, we have nowhere else to keep it all. I seem to spend my time constantly clearing up and clearing out, yet the clutter breeds over night and in the morning there is more and more to sort through. There are days when I feel that the only solution is either a warehouse for storage or a flamethrower to burn the lot:-) So, my friends, what do you do with all your clutter? Do you collect things or clear things out? Are you a hoarder or are you a minimilist?
Ouch! you really want to know that? hhhmmm, let me put it this way, at least we can still see the floor! lol. Actually, we aren't as bad as we used to be. most of the stuff we have now is stuff we bought on ebay and is for resale. Just gotta find better storage boxes now! lol.
LOL - I have quite a lot of stuff I need to list onto eBay, if nothing else to clear some space now. I did find some good storage boxes that stack so now I have a row of boxes against the wall.
Yeah, I'm the buyer and my husband is the seller! lol. Between us, we are a force! lol. Gotta stop the buying and start to finish my crissie shopping!
I have a car load of stuff to take to the tip this week, at least I have managed to clear some of the junk :-)
@villageanne (8554)
I can be both at different times. I tend to keep some things forever but then on the other hand, I can throw away so much stuff when cleaning.
I did a clear out this weekend, and threw out a load of junk.
@secretbear (19466)
im a magpie!! ^__^;; i have lots of stuff in our house. i usually collect paper stuffs like magazines, stationaries, books, stickers, friendship books, cards, everything that can easily burn! LOL some of them are really old and i seldom go over them but when im cleaning up, i just cant throw them away. i dont have the heart. ^__^;; the last time i threw some things were all my candy wrappers given to me by my niece and some i bought myself which had prints of my favorite anime characters. i threw them away coz the ants messed with it! i couldnt really save one. it broke my heart when i threw them. i also have cds and dvds which are piling up. sometimes i think of giving some of them away but i cant seem to do it. LOL i just love the contents so much. ^__^;; and the books i have collected, i collected for the purpose of collection so im not really giving them away or anything. hehe.. but when it comes to clothes, its easy to give away the old ones because i usually buy new ones every now and then. :p
LOL My partner is the one for his magazines, there are hundreds of them and we have almost run out of space to keep them all.
@nancyrowina (3850)
I hoard stuff I still have toys from when I was a child, though it's mainly books I have I love books and still buy new ones although I have hundreds. It is really hard to throw stuff out that you've had for years and have memories attached to, but finding a place to keep it all is hard. Maybe the flame thrower is the only solution lol.
Hi hun, long time no see :-) I can lend you my flame thrower LOL
@xParanoiax (6999)
I may have the least out of everyone in my family. I love stuff, don't get me wrong...but after the last fire, I mostly stopped caring about it. Besides, why get something for me when someone else could use it more? I don't need it. Sure, I still have clutter. But the only thing I'm hoarding now is the few treasures I've managed to keep. Special items, gifts from people I love, stuff like that.
I know I really should clear out more of the unimportant and irrelevant *stuff* and just keep my special treasures, perhaps I will have another splurge soon and clear more clutter.
I find myself becoming more and more of a pack rat, I just tend to keep ridiculous objects, with little financial (or emotional) value...I mean, when I lived with my father, I used to berate him frequently for the way he hoarded his DVDs, and yet, now he's left, I still have them all, unable to throw them away...it's almost as if it's just an urge that I have, to fill up my house lol... Well, that's what they say, isn't it - a clean house is the sign of a mispent youth :)
" a clean house is the sign of a mispent youth " LOL what a fantastic quote, thanks
@MsTickle (24962)
I just accumulate ....stuff. I have more books than I'll ever be able to read...gee that's a shame, music I don't even know I have, fabric I'll never sew, and lots of bits and pieces that might come in useful one day if I can ever fix them. I have lots of collections of things. I get so sad as I become older because I know when I'm gone all my lovely 'stuff' will probably become garbage because no one else cares about it. There is some valuable stuff in amongst the junk.
I'm the same hun, all the things that might be useful I hold onto. I know I should really be brutal and get rid of it but sometimes I just can't bear to.
I can't bear to throw things away. I just had an event today when a daughter's kindergarten picture (she's in college now) fell off the fridge. Not just the picture, mind you. She'd pasted it on a yellow star that she had personally cut out of construction paper 16 years ago. When my son came home from a friend's house, I was looking under the fridge for it. I said, "Hi, I'm looking for your sister under the fridge. Have you seen her?" Needless to say, he was baffled. Fortunately, a little voice told me to look under the vegetable drawer, and there she was! She has magnets on three of the points of the star now, holding her firmly in place.
Funny what we keep hold of isn't it. I still have a load of my son's drawings done when he was about 4 years old, and he's 22 now
@lols189 (4797)
oh jeez you do have a lot of stuff in your house recycledgoth. i dont really keep stuff to let it clutter the place. i always have a clear out once a month and throw everything out that i dont need.
I'm always clearing out stuff but it never seems to make much difference - lol
I gotta tell ya, I'm also a packrat, or a magpie (I prefer packrat better). I have a lot of stuff in my room that i've had for years and years. Actually, I got 4 boxes and 1 dresser full of stuff that I can't even throw away without my nagging parents telling me to do so. Thank God I got a brand-new scanner, although it's a Mustek 600 III EP Plus scanner that works well with my Windows 98 laptop in my room. Now I can scan to my heart's content and throw away all of the paper clutter in my room except for hardback or binding books that I can't clip with my scissors without messing them up. But the scanner is almost slow compared to my college's blazing-fast scanners. Still, it's better than no scanner at all, and it's better than keeping all of the paper junk in my room for a few more years. I got my new scanner on Christas Day 2007 at the Salvation Army, and it had everything in there.
@maximax8 (27954)
I am a bit of a hoarder but I would like to be a minimalist. My loft is full of emotional clutter like porcelain dolls I bought for a collection I began in the nineties. I have collections like travel photos, a costume doll collection from around the world, postcards and coins in my lounge. I have a filing cabinet full of paperwork. Junk mail arrives all the time. I have done some clutter clearing but it is not all perfect yet with a place for everything and everything in its place.
@ElicBxn (60805)
I'm a hoarder.