book storage

does anyone have any tips for storing books to keep them in top condition?
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hey. Maybe you could have them stored in the BIG clear hard plastic bins, that have clear lids also, that way you could still use them as well as look at what book you need... Have a good one...
Oh yes - never thought of that - thanks! i was thinking how do you keep books good when they are on shelves!
@wiccania (3360)
When I put some of my hardcovers in storage, a couple of book sellers recommended to me that it would be best to box and store them spine down, to keep any undue pressure off of the binding.
thanks for that! will keep it in mind, but sorry, my fault, i should have been more specific - these are books i am currently using - i need to be able to look at the spines and pick them out when i need to read them
i usually put my books in a box and i forget that i have them since i buy a lot of books..i sometimes peruse through all of my boxes and am amazed that they are in such good condition even though most of my books are over 7 years old..good luck with everything though
thankyou!
@eprado (1473)
Book - Open page of a book.
Hello snugasabugxxx, If your going to store them on the bookshelf make sure that the material use for the shelf doesn't absorb moisture or might be exposed to a water leak. It is vital to put your books on the best shelving, some experts recommend shelves of glass or metal, as they are non-porous. Unstained wood is another possible choice, but remember that wood, like any porous material, can absorb moisture, one of the greatest enemies of books. You can also put plastic protection, such as slip-covers and book jacket covers on each book before you store them to protect and keep them in top condition.:-)
thanks for that - didn't realise wood had that effect
@cher913 (25890)
if you are keeping your books on a book shelf, make sure they are out of the direct sunlight and dusted often. if they are in a box, i would put them spine up (but thats just me).
lol, dusting?! what's that! i've forgotten