Factoring Humanity

@ElicBxn (60895)
I just got finished reading this great book. I have already read a number of books by this writer, Robert J. Sawyer, but I just got around to this one. Robert J. Sawyer is Canada's only full time science fiction writer, but what a great writer he is. This book is yet another testment to his writing skills. It started off with a seemingly disconnected start, 2 profs at the University of Toronto & their daughter. It also has the first contact via radio waves with an extra terrestrial. It is, like all his books, very thought provoking. I loved it, tho I wasn't quite sure at first with its beginning. The copyright date is 1998, so you can probably find a copy used at a hopefully low cost. If you are an SF fan, then once you start reading Sawyer you will be reading all his books. I also strongly recommend his Hominid, Human, Hybrid trilogy. http://www.sfwriter.com/
I used to read all the time but it gives me a headache that lasts for hours , the print is too small for me , thats why I don`t read your long discussions , not to be rude but if I started I would have to stop every other paragraph and by the time I got I all read I would forget what I read anyways .. But reading used to be a good pass time for me . I do remember his writing though he is a very good one who`s books I would gladley read again , whats the name of the book I may have alrady read it before I got sick ...
@ElicBxn (60895)
Have you considered finding out about Canada's talking book program. If the U.S. has it I'm sure Canada does too. I try to keep my discussions fairly short and my paragraphs too.
@patgalca (14600)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I am not a sci-fi reader at all, but Robert Sawyer was writer in residence in Kitchener two years ago. I attended one of his seminars, sat in the front row, and spoke to him personally after the seminar. The seminar was on POV so it was not sci-fi related, which is why I went. I asked him AFTER the seminar how many drafts he does of his novels and he said minimum 4, maximum 9. Kitchener as a writer in residence every year where you get to submit 15 pages of a novel or short story and then meet with them one-on-one for personal critique. They also perform a few seminars over their time there. I have been attending the last 3 years with personal critiquing in years 1 and 3. It's an enlightening experience. If you ever get the chance to get to the Kitchener Public Library for this series, I highly recommend it.
@ElicBxn (60895)
I got to meet him at a con in June of 2005. I was out of the sling from my sholder surgery, and retired. I got a number of his books then - signed of course! He is a very nice young man - same age as my roomie. I don't find the "science" in his science fiction over whelming, since he wanted to be a paloentologist & dig up dinosaurs and not a physist. His books are more character driven than science driven. I did read a book by a physist once, very readable, he recognized that few people would be interested in the physics of his story, but at the end, he did include what was real physics & what was fiction!
@slickcut (8141)
thats sounds like a very good book..I do enjoy reading,i use to always have a book that i was reading...The only problem with me is when i get a good book,I just find it hard to put it down,i always want to keep reading it,its very hard for me to do it in spruts..My hubby gets a little irratated because i get so involved....Robert sawyer is a very good writer too..