scones

@lilaclady (28240)
Australia
I wish I could make nice scones...does anyone have an easy sure fool proof recipe for scones...PLEASE....
• South Africa
Step 1 - Step 1

Preheat oven to 220 ºC. Sift dry ingredients (expect sugar) together. Rub in butter with your fingertips.
Ingredients 240 g cake flour 15 ml baking powder 2 ml salt 50 g butter 1 large egg 125 ml milk 25 ml sugar Prep time - 15 min Cooking time - 10-12 min
@lilaclady (28240)
hello sameera, thank you for responding, can I ask you if cake flour is what we call plain flour here in Australia or is that a special type of flour....
• South Africa
Step 1
Step 1 Preheat oven to 220ÂșC. Sift dry ingredients (expect sugar) together. Rub in butter with your fingertips.
• South Africa
Step 2
Step 2 Beat egg, milk and sugar together and cut into dry ingredients using a blunt knife or spatula.
• South Africa
METRIC CONVERSIONS 1/4 teaspoon 1.25 ml 1/2 teaspoon 2.5 ml 3/4 teaspoon 3.75 ml 1 teaspoon 5 ml 1 tablespoon 15 ml 1/4 cup 62.5 ml 1/2 cup 125 ml 3/4 cup 187.5 ml 1 cup 250 ml 1 ounce 28.4 g 8 ounces 227.5 g 16 ounces (1 pound) 455 g
@lilaclady (28240)
oh wow you are an angel....thanks again, I do need those...
• South Africa
It is a pleasure. Enjoy the scones.
@lilaclady (28240)
Thank you I will impress my friends when they come next and I will tell them they are South African scones.....
• South Africa
Important points The preparation of scone dough is known as the pastry method. The dry ingredients are sifted together first, then shortening is rubbed in, and finally the liquid is cut in using a knife or pastry cutter to form a dough. The most important thing to remember when working with scone dough is that it should be handled as little as possible. You need to work quickly and lightly. Make sure that you measure out your ingredients correctly. Sufficient liquid ingredients need to be added to form a soft dough. Once the liquid is mixed in, work quickly. Pop into the oven as soon as possible to prevent scones from becoming heavy. Scones are baked in a hot oven for only 10 to 12 minutes. Don't overbake them - they will dry out and burn. Don't take shortcuts by using a food processor - this will result in the texture being too heavy. Use butter or full-fat margrine. Low-fat margarines are not suitable for baking. Roll out the dough carefully and gently. If the dough is too thin, the scones will be flat and have no soft centre. If it is too thick, the outside will burn and the inside will still be raw. Dip your knife or scone cutter into flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough when you cut out the scone shapes. Don't overcrowd the baking tray or the scones on the outside will be cooked before the ones in the middle of the tray. Scones are best served as soon as possible after they come out of the oven. Left to get cold, they will become heavier.
@lilaclady (28240)
You sound like you could be a chef....thanks so much...
• South Africa
Thank you. I love cooking and baking. And I am also working in the Hotel and Catering Industry. In South Africa we also have a scones mixture that is already mixed. You just need to add in the wet ingredients and shake the bottle and pour in your scones pan.I love that.
@lilaclady (28240)
We can buy pancake mixture like that in the supermarkets here in Australia but I have been buying Scone mixture in the packet but I would like to be able to make my own, I will try your recipe.....
@LovingIt (5398)
Sorry, but no.