Candles And Long Haired Cats - Be Careful!

This happened to me a while back but thought since nothing serious happened I'd tell you about it, and at least give you a heads up, and maybe a little laughter for your day. Don't get me wrong, this could have been very serious and I would have been devastated if something would have happened. I love my cat and she is my best friend. I had just lit a candle on the table and went into the kitchen to start cooking dinner, and as usual, I was thinking of a million things all at the same time, plus talking to my daughter who was in the kitchen also. I'm stirring the Spaghetti Sauce when I just happened to turn around, and there was my cat (whose name is Kashmere and is extremely long haired), just minding her own business walking around on top of the table without a care in the world, slowly walking past the candle. Well, yes, you got it,...just at that second she walked past the candle, next thing I knew her tail is on fire. And the funny thing is, she never knew it! (Thank goodness for long hair). I flew over to her and with my hand grabbed her tail from the front, sliding it down to the tip of it to put the flames out. She was smokin! Then she looked at me like I was nuts! You know the way cats look at you with those scrunched up eyes, like What ARE You Doing???..... Since everything was OK, my daughter and I had a good laugh about it afterwards because Kash never knew what happened to her. Just picturing her walking so nonchalantly on the table with her tail smoking reminded me of a "Pepe Lepew" cartoon, plus she's black and white to boot! Just thought I'd let everyone know how careful you must be with your candles. I did this stupid mistake without thinking and it could have been a disaster. If you'd like to see a picture of her I believe it's in "My Profile". I'll be changing my avatar soon to her pretty little face. Thanks for reading and have a fun day!
@Seaclans (215)
My roommate has a similar tale. One of the cats he lived with was a slow learner. Whenever they had candle lit he'd walk up, apparently thinking something along the lines of "Pretty flower," and sniff the candle. He apparently had chronically singed whiskers, but no real damage. And yes, unattended candles are never a good idea.
That's actually a cute story..pretty flower, ha....Till this day all candles are out of her reach or up high on something she won't attempt. She's kinda chubby and right now 14 years old, so, she doesn't really bother jumping up to high...too much effort, lol! She's a sweetheart though.
@Seaclans (215)
I found the story funny when my roommate told me about it as well. Poor silly cat. Glad to hear your cat is unlikely to have a repeat of such incidents. :) Pets add a lot to our lives, especially in the area of humor. Cats are so often unintentionally hilarious and so offended when laughed at.
Oh so true, so true about them being hilarious...mine makes me laugh so hard sometimes, she gets really silly. I also remember when I had to have her long hair groomed/shaved much shorter because she tends to get matted easily (hates to be brushed or combed), she acted totally embarrassed for days......but she looked absolutely adorable.
@TerryZ (22146)
OMG!This so funny! I have one long haired and that would be Maggie. The other one is Molly and she short haired. And Im always burning candles too. The only thing is my cats arent allowed on the tables. At least while Im home.hahaha Who know what they do when Im not home. Right?LOL Thanks for the laugh!LOL
Hi Terry, this discussion is so old I can't believe you responded to it, haha, but Thank You! I really need to think up some new topics and just post them already. I just have so much fun responding but my red star isn't changing at all, guess I better get on the ball..or star, haha. Yes, it was really funny to think about it since she wasn't hurt in the process, lol! She doesn't go on the tables anymore since she's so old and shall we say, plump right now. She'll jump up on the couch with me though for some lovin' and hugs but that's about it. I often wondered what they do when you're not home, haha, I've seen video's of dogs that really get into mischief and it's hysterical. They're having so much fun making a mess, haha.
@TerryZ (22146)
Oh I know Maggie is plump too and getting up there in age. She is lying in the living room on a soft pillow and blankett wrapped around her.LOL Yes she is spoiled.LOL And my other one is under a blankett on my bed!LOL I love them!
@ElicBxn (60044)
When I first moved out and got my first cat I had something not dissimular to that. I had lit a candle, and Sab jumped up and tried to sniff the flame. She singed her wiskers & avoided flames after that!
Some of these conversations reminds me of that old saying "As Moths To A Flame".....I'm glad to hear Sab stays clear now....they're just like kids sometimes and you just can't watch them every single minute. Thanks for responding.
@ElicBxn (60044)
Sadly, Sab went to the Bridge back in 1982. I had a kitten burn her paw on a range after that, but now the cats just look at the flame with a worried look at time.
@pyewacket (43962)
See this is an old discussion but never responded to...what IS it about cats that they never feel when they get burns or literally on fire! You certainly describe the incident perfectly though...I bet you were having a major panic attack when you saw your kitty's tail on fire, and then the look she gave you like "Hey, mom, you nuts or something?" Oh, yes I KNOW that feline look very well. My two kitties are good and don't get into mischief like that. But when I had more cats it was a different story....they used to hop up on the stove when something be cooking, and naturally would burn their paws or worse...one would be on top of the stove and I'm pushing them away a bit as I'm lighting a burner, but sometimes the flame would come on much stronger than usual, and yup, you can guess, part of the side of their fur would burn...and I'm putting out the bit of the fire and then cleaning off the burnt off fur...and I'm in hysterics and feeling bad about the mishap, while my cat would be looking at me as if to say "What gives?"
HaHa, panic attack for sure at that moment!..Aren't they just the funniest little pets? I'm glad I painted a good picture for you, haha, I can laugh about it now. She's too old to jump up on anything now other than my couch for some cuddling. They are such sweet treasures and oh, the looks I get sometimes, lol!, you just KNOW what they're saying to you....talk to you soon sister.
@cblackink (969)
That's a really good reminder for cat parents. It's easy to forget that your babies have no sense of how dangerous a flame can be to them. I keep my candles up on higher surfaces, just because I'm paranoid about something like that happening.
Thanks again cblack, for responding....just another one that I didn't know about from Mylot...ugh. Yes, I have to say, never having cats, that was a lesson learned completely for me. Right now I only have one little darling left but she's pretty plump (always was) but being sixteen years old, she doesn't jump up very high no more....just up on the couch so we could cuddle, haha.
@bonbon664 (3480)
Thank you for the warning. I'm glad it turned out ok, and Kash was fine. We have to be so careful with candles and animals. They can easily tip them over, and hurt themselves or start a fire. You're lucky the candle wasn't unsupervised. I'm so glad she's ok.
Hi bonbon.....this happened many years ago when she was much younger and jumped up on everything.....now she's almost 15 years old and is living the luxury life like we all should as we get older, lol!......and she doesn't climb up on high stuff anymore. But, nevertheless, it was a good lesson learned for me and all candles are safely out of the way, even now. I'm glad she's ok too, she's my best friend actually and I love her to pieces.......Thanks for responding to this.
Oh that is so cute but thankfully she was not hurt. I wonder why she did not feel that though . . .
The reason she didn't feel it was because the fur on her tail is very long.....her tail widthwise is about 4" wide, so the flame actually only reached the tips of the fur.......it never had the chance to reach her skin because I put it out too fast. It was something like you'd see in a comedy film and yes, thankfully she was not hurt. Thanks for replying.......take care.
@morgandrake (2144)
My cat Charlie stuck her tail into a lit candle when she was a kitten. The smell of burning cat hair is not pleasant. She has never done it since. She avoids lit candles now as she should. Poor kitty.
Isn't it amazing how cats learn one time and people make the same mistakes over and over....makes you wonder sometimes, lol.