Devotion for Friday, September 14th 2007

Hebrews 12:2 "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." I am, according to my children, one of “those moms”. I don’t care what Billy’s mother lets him do or what Cheryl’s mom doesn’t make her do. I ask my kids when they leave the house, where they will be, who they’re going with, and an approximate time that they will be home. I want to know if they have their cell phones and if they will call if they’re going to be late so that I don’t worry when I hear the ambulance go down the highway. And I usually stay awake until they are all back, safe and sound in their beds. Last night, it was about 11:30 before we were all present and accounted for. And then, then phone rang. Now I sit at my desk, bleary eyed from spending all night at the hospital with my grandmother, who appears to have had a stroke. I don’t have the mental capacity to really write a devotion…but God is telling me to anyway, so I’m going to just sit back and let HIM write it today. We don’t know what the future holds. The phone rings in the middle of the night and you know it’s bad news, but you have to answer it anyway. It’s three in the morning, and your son’s not home yet, but you have to go to sleep anyway. You see your daughter going down a path that you know is going to lead to heartache, but you have to step aside and let her pass anyway. A person that you love with all of your heart is slipping away and you don’t want her to go, but you have to say goodbye anyway. God is moving in your life in ways that you don’t understand and you’re scared, but you have to step out on faith anyway. In our human frailty, it’s sometimes hard to hold on to the promises that God made to us. When the troubles come, it’s hard to remember that we need to live in joy and peace for the future…because God is already there! If we’ll just take Him by the hand, and hold on…He’ll pull us through!
I guess there was a reason I didn't read this discussion until 4 weeks after it was posted. Because I needed to read it right now, today. It's so relevant to me and my life, as well as serving as a reminder on Who really is holding us all together.
God does that! Last night, after getting some bad news about my son, I was flipping through my bible and found a card that someone in my old church had given me over a year ago. For some reason, I had never opened it. (God) I finally did last night, and it said. "When you are in the valley...Look up." and on the inside she had written And I'll be there to help you out.
I really hope your son is OK.
Physically he is ok. He just made some really bad decisions and my husband asked him to move out of our home. It was a choice that had to be made, but it didn't make it any easier on me as a mother.