I'm too scared to drive :(

@nikkiwith (1074)
Australia
I am 27 years old and still don't have my license! I think it's hereditary, because my sister has her P's but she is not driving, my mum has never driven and her mum has her license but doesn't drive either. I want to drive but i am too scared. I think it's because i don't trust myself. I have had my learner's license 2 times but they expired both times :(
@ma_belle (1357)
Driving isn't that hard. It can be scary at first and do remember being scared when I first started especially the first time I pulled out on the road and especially the highway. However, I have been driving for a long time (since I was 16) so I guess I don't remember how scared I probably was when I started out.
@nikkiwith (1074)
Well when i have the money i promise myself that i will get my license......i hope.
hi, nikkiwith.. driving is nothing to scare one..it is very easy one.. last time me also very scare.. but when me learn then the driving teacher told me that drive is nothing scare one.. so when that day start then me din't scare again.. hehe...
@nikkiwith (1074)
Are you Hawaiian because it even shows in your typing language?
@MarieJ23 (1041)
Your not alone with your struggle. I am also hella afraid to drive especially when I can imagine how big the trucks in the freeway/highway & how fast people drive..Fears run thru my veins just thinking about it. It feels really odd. If I am not in the wheel yet, I have the strong feeling that I wanna do it but once I am on a driving practice with my husband I suddenly became scared. Since I migrated here on May, I have been practicing driving a couple of times but I opted to stop for a while because I feel like I need to condition myself some more. What bothers me the most is making turns. I am just so afraid to manuever the car in a turn. But yesterday, I was so happy because finally I made all my turns perfectly! Yahoo! My husband was very happy also with my improvement. Before this year ends, I will make it sure that I'll get my license already.
@dreamy1 (3815)
Driving is freedom and independence. If you can drive you can go anywhere anytime you want and don't have to wait on other people to take you places. I could never be restricted like that. My mother's best friend is in her late 60's and never learned to drive. She has to wait on her children or husband (and he's in bad health) to take her places. My cousin is in her 50's and doesn't drive. She takes the bus to work and a lot of times she has gotten sick from waiting for the bus in cold and bad weather. You should learn. Unless you have the greatest,cheapest and most accessible public transportation in the world you're only doing yourself a disservice if you don't. You'll just be dependent on other people all the time. Maybe you like that but I'm an independent person and when I want to go I just go.
@wotfpatty (2068)
I totally understand the feeling of not trusting yourself. I got my license at 16 and had no issues at all until about four years ago. I didn't get in an accident (I did when I was 15 but it didn't stop me then from driving). I was driving along and suddenly I sort of forgot where I was. I guess I was thinking of a million things and I lost track of where I was and nothing looked familiar to me. It scared the heck out of me. I pulled over and calmed down then called my husband. By then, I knew where I was and I was able to get home but I have been scared ever since. I do drive but that episode runs in my mind a lot. Never happened again and I never had an accident. If I, an anxiety riddled person, can drive, you can. Just remember that when you drive YOU are in control. When others drive you, you are at their mercy. I go as slow or fast as I want and take the routes I want. I must admit I am not fond of driving and do as little of it now as possible, though. You can do it! My son is 21 and going for his in a few days. He was scared as well. Didn't trust himself. I didn't push it because I was in no hurry for him to drive but now he is mature and ready. I am sure you are too. BTW: My sister was 29 when she got her license and she is almost 60 now, had a brain aneurysm and a mild stroke and drives everywhere! She's nuts but she has guts and no accidents on her record.
@alamode (3073)
I got my driver's license when I was 27! I really had no interest until then. I drove for 3 years, then was injured in my neck and my leg... it became too uncomfortable for me to drive, so I had to quit. I ride with family and friends, but its hard to schedule the times to go. If I could, I would go back to it, but I don't think that I am up to it physically... I don't ant to hurt anyone!