Is it animal cruelty to dress your pet?

@LittleMel (14055)
I have a beautiful well tempered little cat that I want to make her sort of a mascot for my home shop. People like her, even those who don't have cats (probably even allergic to them). I'd like to dress her, only at certain time of the day. I will make the dress myself, nothing that will hurt her. Do you think this is a good idea, or a cruel one?
@msjigga (866)
Hi LittleMel! I do not think it is cruel for people to dress their pets up with clothing. I do think it is cruel when people get their pets ears pierced or get their pets nails polished. I think polishing nails and piercing on a animal is cruel and ridiculus.
@LittleMel (14055)
I don't even like the smell of nail polish and up to now not fond of earrings. I can't imagine doing that to my little cat
Oh my word! People really get their animals ears peirced?!
@msjigga (866)
Hi, I was watching the Style channel on Cable TV. They were showing how to spoil your B!+@h (that is what the topic of the show was). They had people getting their pets (dogs mainly) Manicures and getting ears pierced they even have magnetic earrings for the spoiler who do not want to peirce the ears but still want their pooch to look cute. I still think the magnetic earrings are ridiculus. I mean is that safe?? The show was strange they had a fashion show for doggies. I don't usually watch the Style Channel it was just on and I was shocked by what I seen and the story was catchy...How to spoil you B....
Unless your cat is scratching and clawing, it isn't cruel to dress your pet. A lot of non animal lovers, and even owners of larger animals, say it is silly. But in winters here, I sometimes have to put a sweater on my dogs. They are too small to go without some cover.
@LittleMel (14055)
my cat is indoor and afraid to go outside. but even so I still provide her with warm blankets for her to sleep
My dogs are indoor dogs. They don't go out much at all in winter, but I dress them in a sweater nonetheless. They are so small!
@LittleMel (14055)
that's very nice of you, ambie. protecting small pets from cold. you really are a warm hearted person
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
As long as you're not hurting the animal in any way I should think that is your cat and your bussiness what you do. No need to worry as good a person as you are you'll never be able to please everyone anyway. There will always be people giving their napproval at the same time. Remember this my friend. Those that matter don't care and those that care don't matter
sorry for the spelling error of approval
@LittleMel (14055)
you're right. nobody can please everybody
@williamjisir (22903)
If the cat is dressed with a beautiful and funny dress, I am not sure whether it will be happy for that in the first few days, but anyway you can at least have a try to see its reaction in the first few days. If it enjoys the dress you out on her, it is ok, but it proves that it doesn't feel comfortable with it, then it is better not to make it unhappy for the extra stuff on it. You will be the judge about the cat's attitude towards the dress. Just have a try for this new idea of yours to see what will happen to the cat.
@LittleMel (14055)
sure I will not force it on her. I'll do research about the material before putting it on her
You are really so nice and kind to your loved cat. Thanks for the BR very much, friend.
@kimthedane (1000)
• Denmark
You cannot describe dressing your pet as animal cruelty what so ever, though i have never understood pet owners need for this. Your reason seems pretty plausible but for loads of people at becomes an obsession. Personally i think the pet would rather be without, we humans are the only animal to dress ourselfs and to start out we did not do it to look pretty or cute nor to keep warm. :)
@LittleMel (14055)
I just want her to wear something, not necessarily pierce her ears or anything. If she hates it I won't dress her
@polachicago (19073)
I would think that pets don't like it at all. Maybe it looks cute, but it is not like second skin for cats and dogs. I wouldn't dress my pets...but maybe your cat will like it....
@LittleMel (14055)
yes people have told me this too, that the pets won't like it. I will not force it on her if it makes her life miserable
if the dress does not hurt, ridicule or degrade the animal... i think it's not animal cruelty. we must check that the materials we use on the dress would not injure the animal who's going to wear it. we have to take into account that it has to be comfortable too. dressing animals can be fun and amusing, eye-catching too. :)
@LittleMel (14055)
she is a beautiful cat, I can't help thinking of her like my baby